Combo 48161H new speed-patched firmware request

vbimport

Can anybody (Code65536?) make a speed patched KH0R firmware for Liteon LTC-48161H that reeds DVD±R disks at 16x and DVD±RW disks at 12x? Currently there is only Code65536’s firmware that has same DVD±R & DVD±RW speeds. But while my combo can read all ±R disks at 16x easily it can not read ±RWs at speeds higher then 12x, so I have to use 12x for both ±R & ±RW. :frowning:

P.S.: Any ideas how can I do it myself are also welcome.

Yes, this is definitely possible to do. The reason why the existing combo packages have such a small selection of speeds is that, unlike the DVD-ROM firmwares, I haven’t written a patcher for the combo firmwares, so I’m still doing everything by hand, and creating a dozen different versions with different speeds (the 9S1B package, for example, contains 20 different speed variants) without a patcher is just tedious.

This has been on my to-do list for a while now, but there’re so many other items on the to-do list that I just haven’t gotten around to it. :frowning:

I’ll see what I can do. :slight_smile:

If you don’t want to wait and want to do it by hand… then use the fc command to find the 4 differences between the 12x and 16x patched firmwares. These four different bytes should represent, respectively, +RW, -RW, +R, and -R.

Thanks, code65536! I will wait patiently. :bow:

Well, I decided not to be that patient, and did as code65536 suggested. And it works! :clap: Big thanks to code65536! :bow:

Here is the patched firmware: http://www.natinvest.com/LTC48161H/48161H.KH0R.patched-16xDVDR-12xDVDRW.rar

Here are samples of how it reeds:

1. DVD+R
  2. DVD-R
  3. DVD+RW
    I don’t use -RW, so I can’t verify its behaviour with -RW, but I think it also should be OK.

An unscrambled stock version of KH0P/KH0Q/KH0R as well as a new OmniPatcher that can patch combo firmwares have been posted. :slight_smile:

(at the time of the writing of this post, rpc1.org is temporarily down; but there is a [post=1055508]mirror[/post])

I did this as well. Windoze now identifies the drive as a COB -1H4816 instead of an LTC-48161H. Is that normal? Of course, I upgraded from KH0N to KH0R (yeah I havent done the firmware thing in a bit, jsut doing it now cuz my drive is refusing to read a lot of stuff).

Aaron

edit - to be specific it seems to read cds ok but not DVDs