Combining DVD's to Blu-ray using BD Rebuilder

vbimport

I am testing the latest version of BD-Rebuilder V0.50.07
How do I input multiple DVD’s to make 1 BD.

Welcome to the forums dhnj.

To combine DVD’s into a Blu-ray using BD Rebuilder, the first step is to put all of the DVD’s into one folder. This means you would have a top folder, lets call it DVD Input. Inside this folder would be all the individual folders of your DVD videos.

For example, I want to combine all four of the Jason Bourne movies. I’d have this DVD Input folder, and within it would be four movie folders named [I]The Bourne Identity[/I], [I]The Bourne Supremacy[/I], [I]The Bourne Ultimatum [/I]and [I]The Bourne Legacy.[/I]

Ok, next step is to change the Mode in BD Rebuilder to Quick Play.

Next, click on File–>Import–>DVD’s (Quick Authored) and select the DVD Import folder you have set up.

Let the program process all of the input files, create faux Blu-ray structure and convert the audio. Once it is done with that, click Backup to start re-encoding the video.

Default output size is for a 25gb disc. I’ve never tried to put more than four DVD’s on this size disc.

It is possible to edit the menu also. Before you click on Backup, look for a control in the Mode section called Edit Quick Play Menu.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2754236]Welcome to the forums dhnj.

To combine DVD’s into a Blu-ray using BD Rebuilder, the first step is to put all of the DVD’s into one folder. This means you would have a top folder, lets call it DVD Input. Inside this folder would be all the individual folders of your DVD videos.

For example, I want to combine all four of the Jason Bourne movies. I’d have this DVD Input folder, and within it would be four movie folders named [I]The Bourne Identity[/I], [I]The Bourne Supremacy[/I], [I]The Bourne Ultimatum [/I]and [I]The Bourne Legacy.[/I]

Ok, next step is to change the Mode in BD Rebuilder to Quick Play.

Next, click on File–>Import–>DVD’s (Quick Authored) and select the DVD Import folder you have set up.

Let the program process all of the input files, create faux Blu-ray structure and convert the audio. Once it is done with that, click Backup to start re-encoding the video.

Default output size is for a 25gb disc. I’ve never tried to put more than four DVD’s on this size disc.[/QUOTE]
Many thanks for your quick reply & your instructions.
I cannot combine multi DVD’s or BD’s as I get error messages.
Attached please find documentation.

BDR Multi DVD-BD Errors .pdf (266 KB)

I don’t see anything wrong with the DVD’s. If your Blu-ray imports are actually AVCHD, that might cause some issues, though it really shouldn’t.

One solution you might try is to change the format of the imported videos without degrading the video quality by re-encoding. To do that, use MakeMKV to output to MKV files. This will work for both the DVD’s and the Blu-ray movies.

Once you have the DVD’s in MKV format, test them in VLC or another media player to make sure they are working properly. Then put both in the same folder and try importing into BD Rebuilder by clicking File–>Import–>Video Files. BD Rebuilder will, of course, have to be in Quick Play Mode.

As I said, this should work for both the DVD’s and Blu-ray.

Regarding MakeMKV. It is free to download and use while in beta. The program has been in beta status for years now, and it will work to rip and decrypt both Blu-ray and DVD’s, though it will only rip DVD’s to MKV format. You will have to install new beta keys every month or so, but you can get those from the MakeMKV forum, in this thread: http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1053

If you have already put all of the videos on the hard drive, MakeMKV can work with them from there also.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2754315]I don’t see anything wrong with the DVD’s. If your Blu-ray imports are actually AVCHD, that might cause some issues, though it really shouldn’t.

One solution you might try is to change the format of the imported videos without degrading the video quality by re-encoding. To do that, use MakeMKV to output to MKV files. This will work for both the DVD’s and the Blu-ray movies.

Once you have the DVD’s in MKV format, test them in VLC or another media player to make sure they are working properly. Then put both in the same folder and try importing into BD Rebuilder by clicking File–>Import–>Video Files. BD Rebuilder will, of course, have to be in Quick Play Mode.

As I said, this should work for both the DVD’s and Blu-ray.

Regarding MakeMKV. It is free to download and use while in beta. The program has been in beta status for years now, and it will work to rip and decrypt both Blu-ray and DVD’s, though it will only rip DVD’s to MKV format. You will have to install new beta keys every month or so, but you can get those from the MakeMKV forum, in this thread: http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1053

If you have already put all of the videos on the hard drive, MakeMKV can work with them from there also.[/QUOTE]
Hello Kerry
Thanks ever so much for your reply with instructions.
I have used MakeMKV in connection with Multi DVD’s & BD’s.
BD Rebuilder reads these MKV files without any errors & creates a BDMV
structure, but cannot be opend with VLC(loops), PowerDVD 14(shows only the background with no buttons), MPC-HC(starts with Title 1 no Main Menu), Daum Potplayer(starts with Title 1 no Video only Audio).
I have looked at the BDVM structure, and there seem to be an error with the generated 99002.m2ts(Cannot be opened.This should show the link buttons to the Titles).
Best regards

I have more or less the same question & will try BD Rebuilder.

What I am looking to do - put multi D9s on a BD25 with no re-encoding.

Ideally I would like to take some DVD9 images I have made & put them onto BDs with a top menu that links to the D9s own menus & then plays them back via their own resident menu system.

I could strip the movies out to mkv & just use them like that but I’d like to keep the D9s as they are with all the superfluous menus & gfx :stuck_out_tongue:
As for a straight backup that will not play on a standalone, I can drop the ISOs onto BDs.

Logically, I imagine it is possible but I may be asking for the moon here. Still, it would be cool to have a 1:1 DVD set on a single disc… :wink:

Thanks in advance for any help.

You won’t be able to retain the original menus of the DVD’s when importing into BD Rebuilder.

I don’t know any easy way to keep those menus and convert to Blu-ray format. It is possible to take one DVD and convert to Blu-ray while retaining the menu, using a tool called DVDtoBDExpress, but it won’t make a top menu. This means it cannot be used in the manner you want, to combine several DVD’s and keep the original menus.

It might be possible to combine all the DVD’s into one massive DVD and retain menus using PGCEdit, but it would be hideously complex. DVDReMake (not a free program), can combine two DVD’s into one and retain the original menus. But I don’t know if it will make oversized DVD’s, which would be necessary for your purpose. If it can be done, you could import the results into DVDtoBDExpress to make it into a Blu-ray.

Thanks for the reply Kerry56

I thought that might be the case. I did see quite quickly that BD-Rebuilder was ‘restricted’ to stripping the video/audio streams of each dvd.

I also looked at multiAVCHD which in theory might be able to create the kind of menu structure req’d but not in a few minutes…

It is annoying that it is possible to give a media box (eg WDTV, the android boxes etc) an iso or TS folder & the file plays back as a disc would in a standalone, but that capability is excluded from the standalones themselves - at least in the ones I’ve seen so far. :rolleyes:

NVM I’ll just store the iso’s & wait for someone to develop what I want :smiley:

When BD_RB ‘strips’ the video and audio of each DVD, it is merely remuxing into a BD format (m2ts)
There is no conversion or quality loss
After all, VOBs are not compliant with BD specs

[QUOTE=gonca;2787909]—
There is no conversion or quality loss
[/QUOTE]

Really? :confused:
So what are the settings ‘auto quality’ (checked by default) & (custom) disc size for? (+ There are other resize/rescale & audio re-enc options too.)
Previously in DVD-RB those managed source down-sampling to fit a target.

I get that mts & vob are different, but put a single vob on a disc & it plays on a BD standalone, it seems a bit dumb not to allow the read-back capabilities of streaming boxes. :rolleyes:

There are two SD resolutions that are part of the Blu-ray specifications. They are the two primary resolutions found in PAL and NTSC DVD’s, 720 x 576 and 720 x 480. The vast majority of DVD’s have one of these two resolutions, especially commercially made ones, so it is possible to take the video straight from a DVD and place it into the m2ts container without conversion.

DVD’s use MPEG2, and that is also part of the Blu-ray specs, so there is no need to convert to H264. Audio can be an issue, since DVD’s can use MP2 audio, and it is not found in Blu-ray. But again, the vast majority of DVD’s have audio that is compatible.

By the way, I dug out my ancient copy of DVDReMake Pro and put four discs into one. That is the maximum number of DVD’s it can handle. It seems to work properly, but the top menu is very crude. I might have to adjust it a bit before trying to convert to Blu-ray format in DVDtoBDExpress. I won’t be able to burn to a disc however, since the total size is 27gb, and I don’t have any DL Blu-ray of any kind.

[QUOTE=frook;2787969]Really? :confused:
So what are the settings ‘auto quality’ (checked by default) & (custom) disc size for? (+ There are other resize/rescale & audio re-enc options too.)
Previously in DVD-RB those managed source down-sampling to fit a target.

I get that mts & vob are different, but put a single vob on a disc & it plays on a BD standalone, it seems a bit dumb not to allow the read-back capabilities of streaming boxes. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

I was referring to IMPORT
You are referring to conversion in what looks like ALTERNATE OUTPUT
Try importing and then using an INTACT VIDEO - INTACT AUDIO preset to the container of your choice

@Kerry56
I was referring to the VOB container

BD_RB can import multiple DVDs but you will not retain the original menus
It will create a simple menu to navigate the different 'movies’
You can create your own custom background to use

Continuing on with the discussion about combining DVD’s and making a Blu-ray, I found that the giant DVD that I made with DVDReMake seems to work well in any software that can play DVD menus (with the exception of the Leawo Player). I processed it with DVDtoBDExpress to shift it into Blu-ray format, which took nearly two hours. The resulting BD is slightly larger and plays in PowerDVD 13, but it completely defeats and confuses the Leawo BD Player, which will only play one of the commentary tracks, no matter what you select.

I suspect that it might be problematic in stand alone BD hardware players, but cannot test that since I have no DL BD media, and only one ancient Sony Blu-ray player.

I have to wonder if the giant DVD would play burned to a DL Blu ray disc, but again, I suspect it might confound some hardware players.

I’ll probably start the experiment again, and shoot for a smaller output size using different DVD’s. I have a few single layer BD-RE discs to play with.