Combining duplicate titles

I am using DVDFab to backup a DVD9 that has the same Title twice. The first instance of the Title is used in the “Play All” links, the other from the scene selection menu. If I could modify the Play All links in the menus to point to the second instance of the Title, I could fit the whole DVD9 on a DVD5 without quality loss.

Is there a simple way to solve this problem with DVDFab?

I don’t quite understand your question.
There is no simple way. You would need a program such as PgcEdit which is not easy.
How can modifying the menu result in making a whole DVD9 fit on a DVD5 without quality loss?

[QUOTE=Ticketick;2288770]I am using DVDFab to backup a DVD9 that has the same Title twice. The first instance of the Title is used in the “Play All” links, the other from the scene selection menu. If I could modify the Play All links in the menus to point to the second instance of the Title, I could fit the whole DVD9 on a DVD5 without quality loss.

Is there a simple way to solve this problem with DVDFab?[/QUOTE]

Sorry, but your whole post here isn’t making much sense to me.

You can clear up much of my confusion by advising if your post is about a commercial release of a Hollywood film or TV show, or a special one-of-a-kind/limited edition hybrid DVD.

Please advise.

OC

:slight_smile:

Dialysis1, each copy of the movie occupies approximately 4 GB, which it why a DVD9 is required to avoid quality loss in the full backup. I see no point in storing two identical MPEG data files on a disc. If I could use the same instance of the movie for both Play All and scene selection, it would fit nicely on a DVD5 without quality loss.

I assume the title was placed twice on the disc just to make it more difficult to backup.

Actually this is the second time I see this scheme. I don’t know what policy this forum has on the naming of actual movie titles, but anyone that wants to know is free to PM me.

OC, this relates to a purchased, commercial DVD. Sorry I forgot to say so from the beginning.

just name the movie, no big deal about that. and do you have pathplayer set to “always enabled”? it may solve your problem if you’re seeing the main movie listed twice and both are the same length and aspect ratio

Modifying the menu is not going to change the size if the VOBs are still present.
Try DVDFab in the customize mode and omit the duplicate title.

I’m sorry, but I seem to have misunderstood some of the information in DVDFab. I thought that the term “title” in DVDFab corresponded to a physical set of files on the disc. I didn’t understand until now that a single set of video files may appear as more than one title in DVDFab.

I suggest that some information about how to handle seemingly identical titles like these is added to the DVDFab tutorial for Customize and Customize Split. Perhaps something like this would help others:

[I]When you copy a disc where two or more titles represent the same set of video files, you may not save space and you may not increase quality by unchecking one or more of the titles. You just risk losing functionality such as scene selection.

If you use Customize or Customize Split, you may have to check (include) two or more seemingly identical titles in order to have access to both Play All and scene selection for these titles.

When you use Customize Split, you manually determine the split point, i.e. what chapters of each title go on each disc. You must ensure that the same split point is set for all titles representing the same set of video files. DVDFab doesn’t do this automatically for you. [/I]

The discs I’ve seen this title structure on include “Elton 60 Live at Madison Square Garden” (2-disc DVD, NTSC, all regions) and “The Darjeeling Limited” (PAL, region 2).

The title can appear many times thus making a DVD9 [B]appear[/B] as a 200GB movie.

As riptorn pointed out, PathPlayer usually identifies this type of structure as using the same VOBs and does not “count” the files as being required twice (if that is in fact the case with this DVD). In Customize mode, with DVD-5 size selected, see if the Quality % or output size change as you add the individual titles that are duplicated in the Play All. You can force a Main Movie only type backup by selecting the Remove Menus option in Customize and selecting the title(s) individually and omitting the duplications.