Combine 2-disc DVD's, then re-split them

Hi there everyone. I was wondering if you guys could help me figure out a way to combine 2-disc DVD’s on my computer, then split up that one file evenly on to 2 DVD-R’s. I know that sounds like alot of work, but those types of long movies usually have one really long portion of the movie on disc 1, then like the last hour or hour and a half on the 2nd. When I copy to DVD-5, I end up losing quite a bit of quality on the first disc, but have perfect quality on the 2nd. I can’t be the only one thats noticed this. Schindler’s List is a perfect example. Any Suggestions?

P.S.: Currently I’m using AnyDVD, CloneDVD (for reg. movies) & DVDFab (for season sets) Hope that helps!

[QUOTE=Jville808;2218598]Hi there everyone. I was wondering if you guys could help me figure out a way to combine 2-disc DVD’s on my computer, then split up that one file evenly on to 2 DVD-R’s. I know that sounds like alot of work, but those types of long movies usually have one really long portion of the movie on disc 1, then like the last hour or hour and a half on the 2nd. When I copy to DVD-5, I end up losing quite a bit of quality on the first disc, but have perfect quality on the 2nd. I can’t be the only one thats noticed this. Schindler’s List is a perfect example. Any Suggestions?

P.S.: Currently I’m using AnyDVD, CloneDVD (for reg. movies) & DVDFab (for season sets) Hope that helps![/QUOTE]

I have yet to hear DVD9 movies like what your saying except when they were way back then using only DVD5(which sometimes split the movie into two media ie Pelican Brief-I know is a 2 disc DVD5 format) to put movies on before moving to DVD9 format?? Usually the second dvd is the extra, bonus, deleted scenes or extra comments? Is there a reason why you aren’t able to use a DL media ???

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2218605]I have yet to hear DVD9 movies like what your saying except when they were way back then using only DVD5(which sometimes split the movie into two media ie Pelican Brief-I know is a 2 disc DVD5 format) to put movies on before moving to DVD9 format?? Usually the second dvd is the extra, bonus, deleted scenes or extra comments? Is there a reason why you aren’t able to use a DL media ???[/QUOTE]

Well, I don’t have any DL media. How do I tell if my burner is capable of burning to DL before going out and buying some? It’s in a laptop, so I can’t just crack it open that easily to get a model number off the drive.

Several programs will tell you your drives capabilities.A couple are
Nero Info Tool & ImgBurn.

[QUOTE=cholla;2218753]Several programs will tell you your drives capabilities.A couple are
Nero Info Tool & ImgBurn.[/QUOTE]

ok I have IMG Burn. How do I get it to tell me if my drive will burn DL?

Tell me what DVDRW Drive you have and I will tell you if it can burn D/L discs;)

If that comes from the IMG Burn Log, it just says:

I 14:04:39 Found 1 DVD±RW/RAM!

If you want to check with ImgBurn.
Select mode/Almost any but read will do.
Then Tools/Drive/Capabilities
Or give your drive info to alan1476 .
What you want to do can all be done with DVDShrink.Except for burning back to DVD -R discs.
It would take a bit of a tutorial.

My drive: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T10N PG02 (ATA)

…then when I go to capabilities it does have a check for DVD-R DL & DVD+R DL

Does that mean I’m good?

That should mean your drive should be able to burn DL.
Now that alan1476 has the drive number he can verify that ImgBurn is correct.

[quote=Jville808;2218834]My drive: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T10N PG02 (ATA)

Does that mean I’m good?[/quote]
Your drive is a Laptop LG, Here are the specs.
LOADING MECHANISM : Tray
SERIAL NUMBER : XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
NUMBER VOL. LEVELS : 256
BUFFER SIZE : 2048KB
INTERFACE : ATAPI
RPC2 SCHEME : YES
USER CHANGES : 4
VENDOR CHANGES : 4
CURRENT REGION : 2
ANALOG AUDIO PLAY : YES
COMPOSITE OUTPUT : NO
DIGITAL PORT-PORT1 : NO
DIGITAL PORT-PORT2 : NO
READ UPC CODE : YES
MULTISESSION READ : YES
MODE 2 FORM 1 : YES
MODE 2 FORM 2 : YES
READ ISRC CODE : YES
READ BAD CODE : NO
BUFFER UNDER-RUN : YES
MT. RAINIER : NO
CAN READ CDR : YES
CAN READ CDRW : YES
CAN READ CDRM2 : YES
CAN WRITE CDR : YES
CAN WRITE CDRW : YES
CAN TEST WRITE : YES
CAN READ DVD-ROM : YES
CAN READ DVD-R : YES
CAN READ DVD-RW : YES
CAN READ DVD-RAM : YES
CAN READ DVD+R : YES
CAN READ DVD+RW : YES
CAN WRITE DVD-R : YES
CAN WRITE DVD-RW : YES
CAN WRITE DVD-RAM : YES
CAN WRITE DVD+R : YES
CAN WRITE DVD+RW : YES
MAX CDR READ SPEED : 24
MAX CDR WRITE SPEED: 24

As I posted DVDShrink is able to do what you want.
The drawback is there will be no Menu.
So you will need a program to create menus after you re-split it.
I don’t have a dual disc set like you have but I have done this with two movies to put them on one single layer disc.I see no reason that DVDShrink couldn’t split them anyway I wanted.
It would probably even work better on the same movie like you have.

[QUOTE=alan1476;2218844]Your drive is a Laptop LG, Here are the specs.
LOADING MECHANISM : Tray
SERIAL NUMBER : XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
NUMBER VOL. LEVELS : 256
BUFFER SIZE : 2048KB
INTERFACE : ATAPI
RPC2 SCHEME : YES
USER CHANGES : 4
VENDOR CHANGES : 4
CURRENT REGION : 2
ANALOG AUDIO PLAY : YES
COMPOSITE OUTPUT : NO
DIGITAL PORT-PORT1 : NO
DIGITAL PORT-PORT2 : NO
READ UPC CODE : YES
MULTISESSION READ : YES
MODE 2 FORM 1 : YES
MODE 2 FORM 2 : YES
READ ISRC CODE : YES
READ BAD CODE : NO
BUFFER UNDER-RUN : YES
MT. RAINIER : NO
CAN READ CDR : YES
CAN READ CDRW : YES
CAN READ CDRM2 : YES
CAN WRITE CDR : YES
CAN WRITE CDRW : YES
CAN TEST WRITE : YES
CAN READ DVD-ROM : YES
CAN READ DVD-R : YES
CAN READ DVD-RW : YES
CAN READ DVD-RAM : YES
CAN READ DVD+R : YES
CAN READ DVD+RW : YES
CAN WRITE DVD-R : YES
CAN WRITE DVD-RW : YES
CAN WRITE DVD-RAM : YES
CAN WRITE DVD+R : YES
CAN WRITE DVD+RW : YES
MAX CDR READ SPEED : 24
MAX CDR WRITE SPEED: 24[/QUOTE]

I don’t see DL on [I]that [/I]list. That mean I’m [I]not [/I]good?

The list doesn’t show DL so it’s possible ImgBurn is incorrect.
Although DVDShrink was able to merge 2 movies the even re-split didn’t work well.I’m still working on it & will post on the results.
Basically what I tried was to clip off the front of the second movie & add that to the end of the first one making the legnth of both approxamately equal.So far the movie with the added clip doesn’t work correctly.
Jville808 ;That is as close as I can come to what you are trying to do.
I may get it worked out but haven’t so far.

[QUOTE=Jville808;2218834]My drive: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T10N PG02 (ATA)

Does that mean I’m good?[/QUOTE]

Would you post the log file imgburn created so we can see what it says other then what Alan posted??? And to Cholla how about first helping the OP instead of hijacking their posting. Then we can help your situation. Until the OP problems is resolved please wait your turn to less the confusion.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2219397] And to Cholla how about first helping the OP instead of hijacking their posting. Then we can help your situation. [/QUOTE]

@coolcolors; I wasn’t asking for help;I was posting to the OP that I was working on a way to do what he wanted but not having success.
I don’t have a dual disc set like the OP so I was trying to simulate it with 2 different movies.Which basically what a dual disc set is.
The OP wanted to combine the dual disc set & split it so there is a approxamately even amount of the movie on each disc.
I have come close but I still wasn’t happy with the jump in the video.If I get it worked out to my satisfaction I will post a how to for the OP.
If you have a good method for doing what the OP posted in his original question post it.
No hijacking by me on this topic.I really don’t need to this for myself.

I worked on a method for doing what Jville808 wants to do.I think it will allow a even divide of the two DVD5 discs .

This is meant to be used with DSEDIT1.pdf attached to this post as a partial guide.I have made some corrections in my post where I thought necessary.
The 2 movies I used were already decrypted & compressed to single layer DVD5 on my HDD.
That should simulate a two disc DVD5 set for one movie.

I made a short clip from the end of the longer movie(first disc) the amount of time it took to make the second movie equal time when it is added.
BU only that clip to Folder Sclip.
I then took the same amount off the end of the whole main movie of the longer movie(first disc).
BU only that clip to Folder Lclip

Do BU of shorter movie(second disc) Main Movie to Folder Disc 2.

Open Sclip in Full DISC then change to Re-author mode.
Drag Title 1 to L. window .

Open Disc 2 in Full DISC then change to Re-author mode.
Drag it title 1 to L. window It will show as Title 1 (2).

BU these to addedclip Folder.

Copy VOB files from addedclip Folder to RenamedVOB folder.
Rename VTS_01_001.VOB, VTS_01_002.VOB,VTS_01_003.VOB ,& so on.
As in PDF instructions.

Open VobEdit to join all the .VOB files together. Click Open and select the first .VOB file, VTS_01_001.VOB.
Then go to File and select Join Clips. When the Save As dialog appears, create a new folder in HDD and name it as VIDEO_TS, and type VTS_01_1.VOB as the File name.
Click Save when ready.Make sure to Save in VIDEO_TS folder
A dialog will open and ask to specify a starting VOB-ID. Usually you will enter here a ‘1’ to let the titleset start
with VOB-ID 1. Just press OK.
The PDF is incorrect for doing this part .When it says there will be one VOB file.This would be the case for joining short clips but a Main Movie like this is broken into multiple 1GB VOBs & 1 smaller than 1GB VOB.

At this point I create a VIDEO_TS1 folder & copy the files in the VIDEO_TS to it.This may be an unnecessary step.
If something goes wrong though it keeps the Join Clips from having to be done again.The VIDEO_TS1 is your BU.

Start IfoEdit, press the Create IFOs button near the bottom to open the Create new IFO files window. On the 1st VOB of Title-Set, press the button, select the VTS_01_1.VOB in the VIDEO_TS folder, and press Open. Make sure to select “Same as source” option. Press OK to start the process.
It will do all the VOBs.
Do the Audio fix as in the PDF saving each time.If their is more than one Audio do the fix to all.

This is a necessary step. Close IFOEdit.

Open IfoEdit again; open the IFO (VTS_01_0.IFO). Click VOB Extras, make sure a to check only the options showed on the screenshot in the PDF, and browse to the Destination directory other than the original VIDEO_TS folder, the Mock Strip Backup folder.Follow PDF instructions for striping streams.

When IfoEdit finishes the Mock Strip process, It will have the new files in the Mock Strip Backup folder. Drag and drop or copy all the new files into the VIDEO_TS folder and click “Yes to all” for the Confirm File Replacement.
Close IfoEdit.
At this point if the VIDEO_TS folder opens in DVDShrink with no error it is probably OK.
I checked it with VLC & it played OK so I burned it to an +RW disc with ImgBUrn.
The play was smooth.Since it was two different movies it was easy to tell when it changed to the second movie.
With the same movie on a 2 disc set you might be able to make the join even less noticable .

The PDF DSEDIT1.pdf is attached to another topic & I can’t attach it to two topics.I will post a link.
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f34/how-merge-two-vob-files-265834/#post2220118

I used the very same method a couple years ago, by reading this thread/guide…:slight_smile:

http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?t=60724&highlight=IfoEdit

That’s possibly where the PDF I had came from.
Aparrently who ever made the PDF redid it because it is not an exact print.I just DLed it & too long ago to remember where.
Still a few differences as I noted.The guide just used 3 short clips from the same movie.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2219397]Would you post the log file imgburn created so we can see what it says other then what Alan posted??? And to Cholla how about first helping the OP instead of hijacking their posting. Then we can help your situation. Until the OP problems is resolved please wait your turn to less the confusion.[/QUOTE]

here’s the log:

I 20:59:20 ImgBurn Version 2.4.2.0 started!
I 20:59:20 Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition (6.0, Build 6001 : Service Pack 1)
I 20:59:20 Total Physical Memory: 2,086,344 KB - Available: 927,956 KB
W 20:59:20 AnyDVD can interfere with ImgBurn’s ability to verify accurately, please ensure it’s disabled!
I 20:59:20 Initialising SPTI…
I 20:59:20 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices…
I 20:59:21 Found 1 DVD±RW/RAM!