Colleges educate on music piracy then push broadband

I just posted the article Colleges educate on music piracy then push broadband.

The Washington Post has a good story this morning, giving us a look inside the walls of knowledge at universities around the US. It is fascinating to say the least, to get…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/6535-Colleges-educate-on-music-piracy-then-push-broadband.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/6535-Colleges-educate-on-music-piracy-then-push-broadband.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Wireless internet = using netsumbler from your laptop inside your car that is parked across the street. (with sarcasm) Sheesh, I guess if I want music I’ll do some war driving and then download like mad using some one else’s internet connection. I’ll let the RIAA sue THEM. THEN we’ll see just how hard the crap hits the fan. I guess the RIAA will just have to lobby against wireless internet, eh? :d

Whoops, I forgot to mention … if YOU do some war driving or do some stumbling, then I imagine that it would cause quite a sir if you share your files from your laptop in front of major stores like Best Buy, Wal-Mart, etc… or even drive up in front of your local congressman’s or mayor’s or even a few lawyer’s homes and share some files. Eventually the RIAA will threaten some major company or some major political figure, and then they’ll be under closer scrutiny. :S :S
[edited by nite0859 on 31.08.2003 17:43]

oh man thats priceless! All of this work for nothing! They could just lower the price to $9.99! Sooooo much easier.

The RIAA started with intimidation letters to the top 1000 companies, and I’m sure all of the companies in turn came up with a memo and sent to all employees. In corporate America you could rape your admin fire her and repeat a few times and have a chance to keep your job if you know the right people, but if you are some kind of crazy software pirate now that would cost the company too much money. It’s cheaper to pay off a few women lets say one million each then deal with the $ 17,000 fine for each audio track. I’ve got over 10,000 mp3 files so that’s a fine of about 170 million dollars, makes the 200 dollar HD I store them on seem cheap. If O.J. Simpson had been a convicted pirate (I think he might have been a DirecTV pirate btw) he’d be poor and in jail now. Killing people is safer and cheaper then music and movie piracy. This is what we get when we worship money.

The RIAA threat is still nebulous, and the situation is like, um, lemme think: you have a tree full of fruits in front of you, and you’re hungry. The tree is pretty much nobody’s, but the fruits belong to other people. You can always get to the store and pay lots of money for your own few fruits that will ease your hunger for maybe one day. So you choose what’s easier, take some fruits (actually, the fruits remain in the tree even after you’ve taken them :)) and hope the warden won’t come. that’s about the whole story, simplified. So we shouldn’t wonder why students download music from the Internet. Well, in their case, I could as well download an album, listen to it then delete it from my computer, because I can redownload it in what, five minutes? So when RIAA comes, my HDD is empty. Did I download? So? Where’s the evidence? Some logs? Eh, they can be faked as well.

(Spam)