College football 2010

vbimport

For those few members here who follow college football (and comment in the chat box), this season has been a fun ride, with number 1 teams rising and falling each week for some time now. After 8 weeks of play, we are down to seven unbeaten teams and the big question about Boise St. remains to be answered. Will the insane methodology of the BCS allow a non-BCS member to play in the title game? My guess is no.

At the moment, the AP poll has Boise St ranked #2, but their strength of schedule is easily the weakest of all the undefeated teams left in the country. They should remain undefeated the rest of the way, but I suspect their rankings both in the AP and in the BCS will start to slip.

Considering the rest of the undefeated teams, TCU and Utah have the weakest remaining schedules, except for one glaring problem…they play each other in a couple of weeks. One of those should remain undefeated the rest of the regular season, but neither really have a shot at the title game.

Missouri and Michigan State are the two big surprises for the year, and Missouri’s upset of Oklahoma yesterday was one of the biggest shell shockers of the year. Both these schools have a good chance to go undefeated, with Michigan State’ s biggest test coming at Iowa, and Missouri facing Nebraska next week. If either of these teams go undefeated for the year, I suspect the BCS may rank them ahead of Boise St. (pure speculation at this point of course :slight_smile: )

Auburn has proved to be a contender for the national crown, but they have to face Alabama in the last week of the regular season. I predict they lose that game and put themselves out of contention for the BCS title game. If Alabama can come through with just one loss, I look for them to make the championship, even ahead of undefeated teams.

And finally, the #1 team at the moment is Oregon. They probably have the toughest schedule left of any of the undefeated teams. Five games left, with potential upsets from any of those, (Washington may be the weakest opponent for them). If Oregon makes it through unscathed, they are a lock for the title game.

This season has been very entertaining, and should be just as good down the stretch.

BCS standings just released 10/24:
1 Auburn .9371
2 Oregon .9069
3 Boise State .8846
4 TCU .8833
5 Michigan State .8387
6 Missouri .8006
7 Alabama .7100
8 Utah .7049
9 Oklahoma .6691
10 Wisconsin .6584
11 Ohio State .6356
12 LSU .6219
13 Stanford .5185
14 Nebraska .5073
15 Arizona .4492
16 Florida State .4395
17 Oklahoma St .3053
18 Iowa .2834
19 Arkansas .2481
20 South Carolina .2431
21 Mississippi St .1959
22 Miami (FL) .1799
23 Virginia Tech .1367
24 Nevada .0865
25 Baylor .0403

There are a few surprises in there. Auburn overtaking Oregon is one. Utah staying in the top ten is another. I thought Boise and TCU might drop down a bit further, but this is still an early poll.

If Nevada can stay in the top 25 until they play Boise, that should help the Boise boys a bit.

Anyone who has watched college football this year wasn’t surprised at Missouri beating Oklahoma. All history of the series aside, Missouri played much better (expected because they were at home) against a very young Oklahoma team that was lucky IMO to be undefeated going into Saturday’s game.

OU is way too inconsistent at this point. This is due to the fact that Stoops is playing a ton of Freshman. The lack of a consistent kicking game is killing them (and us fans). OU had two turnovers in the Red Zone and missed a FG that if made would’ve changed the whole complexion of the game. I really hope OU rights the ship and gets another crack at Missouri in the Big 12 conference championship game.

Missouri was still surprising to me. They barely got past San Diego St. (last minute touchdown pass from long range) and they had to come from behind against Illinois! Everyone they’ve played except Oklahoma has at least 3 losses at this point, so they haven’t been playing powerhouse teams. Nebraska will be the crucible to test them.

OU very well could’ve had a couple of losses going into the Missouri game save some late game mistakes by Texas and Cincinnati.

OU’s lack of ability to finish games in the 4th quarter finally came back to bite them.

My kids get all into sports but I learned a long time ago to not let sports be a big deal. Most if not all sports today are controlled by the person making the calls.

^? Ooookay.

Back to the important subject of college football. Looks like the Boise boys have wiped out another powder puff team tonight. Hope Boise doesn’t go to sleep against Hawaii or Nevada, cause they’ll actually have to play the first string the whole game against those two teams. They’re not great, but are top 30 level.

It will be an interesting year to say the least. With 3 weeks of number one teams being knocked out in a row and given the fact that there are still some very interesting matchups left for this season (ie Oregon vs. USC, Utah vs. TCU, Auburn and Alabama) to name a few. Being partial to the Bronco persuasion my biggest fear this year is that TCU and BSU will both go undefeated and the BCS will conveniently throw them into the Fiesta Bowl together again. Thereby making this essentially a wasted season in terms of BSU proving themselves to the critics of the BCS. I remember the comments after last year (ie two over-ranked teams playing each other and one came out on top). Personally, I don’t care if BSU plays in the national championship as long as they get the opportunity to get to prove themselves against a top ranked BCS school (preferably one of the SEC teams).

Heck of a weekend already. Missouri and Michigan State fall from the ranks of the unbeaten. Auburn comes through with a good win though and will remain at the top of the heap in the BCS.

USC and Oregon are having a good game as I type, but Oregon looks to be too dangerous, too unpredictable on offense for USC to stay with them. We’ll see how the second half goes.

Notre Dame shows just how low that program has dropped by losing to Tulsa!

Utah is wearing down Air Force bit by bit, but lots of time left in that one. Texas and Baylor are playing a low scoring game, but Baylor has a real chance to win! Good grief, how the mighty hath fallen.

It is interesting as we are now down to 5 unbeaten teams. Oregon definitely looks impressive.

New BCS rankings:
1 Oregon .9777
2 Auburn .9599
3 TCU .8911
4 Boise State .8824
5 Utah .7318
6 Alabama .7185
7 Nebraska .6869
8 Oklahoma .6849
9 Wisconsin .6740
10 LSU .6540
11 Ohio State .6127
12 Missouri .5940
13 Stanford .5780
14 Michigan State .5136
15 Arizona .4936
16 Iowa .4291
17 Oklahoma State .3868
18 Arkansas .2944
19 South Carolina .2725
20 Mississippi State .2428
21 Baylor .1792
22 Virginia Tech .1595
23 Nevada .0957
24 Florida State .0737
25 North Carolina State .0546

Who would have believed there would be three teams from the Mountain West and the WAC in the top five? That will only last this week though, since either TCU or Utah will drop from the unbeaten list when they play on Saturday. Oregon was impressive in their victory over USC, and deserve the top spot in my opinion.

Utah managed to jump ahead of Alabama! But Boise slipped just a tiny amount and are now 4th. The problem for the human side of the polling is that there are very few unbeatens left to put ahead of Boise. How soon will it be before Alabama gets ahead of the Boise boys? Hawaii is a reasonably good test for Boise coming up, and their performance in that game will be a big part of their next ranking.

Edit: Whoa, checked the computer ranking side of the BCS and looks like I’m wrong about the human polls. Its the computers that hate Boise…three of them rank Boise 7th, 13th, and 7th. They really dislike Alabama too, with an average ranking of 15th!

[B]#1[/B] Oregon .9777 No surprise here. :smiley:

[B]<-[/B] :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2553945]New BCS rankings:
1 Oregon .9777
2 Auburn .9599
3 TCU .8911
4 Boise State .8824
5 Utah .7318
6 Alabama .7185
7 Nebraska .6869
8 Oklahoma .6849
9 Wisconsin .6740
10 LSU .6540
11 Ohio State .6127
12 Missouri .5940
13 Stanford .5780
14 Michigan State .5136
15 Arizona .4936
16 Iowa .4291
17 Oklahoma State .3868
18 Arkansas .2944
19 South Carolina .2725
20 Mississippi State .2428
21 Baylor .1792
22 Virginia Tech .1595
23 Nevada .0957
24 Florida State .0737
25 North Carolina State .0546

Who would have believed there would be three teams from the Mountain West and the WAC in the top five? That will only last this week though, since either TCU or Utah will drop from the unbeaten list when they play on Saturday. Oregon was impressive in their victory over USC, and deserve the top spot in my opinion.

Utah managed to jump ahead of Alabama! But Boise slipped just a tiny amount and are now 4th. The problem for the human side of the polling is that there are very few unbeatens left to put ahead of Boise. How soon will it be before Alabama gets ahead of the Boise boys? Hawaii is a reasonably good test for Boise coming up, and their performance in that game will be a big part of their next ranking.

Edit: Whoa, checked the computer ranking side of the BCS and looks like I’m wrong about the human polls. Its the computers that hate Boise…three of them rank Boise 7th, 13th, and 7th. They really dislike Alabama too, with an average ranking of 15th![/QUOTE]

Believe it or not people have been pushing BSU, part of it is that I think people really want to see what they are capable of. The way BCS computers handle stats is unbelievable but then I remember that the computers are only as faulty as the data that they are fed.

Its been a busy day of college football. Oregon and Auburn rolled on, as expected. TCU crushed Utah, in an anticlimactic meeting, so another unbeaten falls by the wayside. And Boise just plain ran over Hawaii, in a game that had no drama at all.

The most important result? LSU beat Alabama! Woohoo. :slight_smile: No chance for a repeat champion now.

Lots of other stuff going on, as Iowa and Nebraska win by the skin of their teeth, Michigan had to go to triple overtime to beat Illinois 67-65!, and Kansas, down by 28 at the start of the 4th quarter, scored 35 unanswered points to win. (Kansas game wasn’t important to anyone except the two teams involved, but that comeback deserves some recognition).

Looking at the unbeatens, Oregon still has tough games ahead, especially against Arizona. Auburn still has to face Alabama and the SEC championship game, but TCU only has two relatively easy games left. Boise…well, their schedule was never really challenging for them, and only Nevada can put up a fight.

Back with the BCS standings tomorrow, but don’t expect any changes in the top 4.

I dunno if LSU will jump TCU or BSU after today’s win. Hopefully not. Although I have to say that Nevada may be wetting their pants after seeing what BSU did to Hawaii (as Nevada’s only loss is to them).

Nov 7th BCS Poll
1 Oregon .9638
2 Auburn .9611
3 TCU .9259
4 Boise State .8662
5 LSU .8170
6 Stanford .7454
7 Wisconsin .7349
8 Nebraska .7298
9 Ohio State .6613
10 Oklahoma State .6211
11 Michigan State .6180
12 Alabama .5490
13 Iowa .5223
14 Utah .4669
15 Arkansas .4569
16 Oklahoma .3900
17 Missouri .3511
18 Arizona .3200
19 Mississippi State .3169
20 Virginia Tech .2647
21 Nevada .1981
22 Florida .0825
23 South Carolina .0807
24 Kansas State .0764
25 Texas A&M .0694

No change in position at the top, though TCU is pulling away from Boise. The computers actually have TCU ahead of Oregon, which is very surprising, but that may not last through the rest of the season. Auburn and Oregon [B]will[/B] be in the title game if neither loses…TCU has no way of jumping ahead of them, with no big games ahead for TCU, and no way of influencing the human polls any more.

Don’t know what the 1 loss teams will do in the rankings over the last few weeks, but one or more may slip ahead of Boise.

I would be more than happy with a BSU vs LSU game.

Oklahoma is terrible on the road. They fold like a cheap suit.

Yeah, I knew when I saw them ranked at number 1 that it wasn’t going to last.

Lots of drama today so far. Georgia fought the good fight against “we’re the best team money can buy” Auburn today, but finally just ran out of gas. Utah got annihilated by a mediocre Notre Dame team and TCU found themselves in the middle of a dogfight against San Diego State and played their worst game of the year. TCU was lucky to get out of that with a victory and remain undefeated.

TCU’s comatose performance and Utah’s loss should drop the Frogs slightly in the polls, but who knows?

As I’m writing, South Carolina looks to have the SEC East wrapped up unless they collapse in the 4th quarter, and Oregon is having a hard time putting away a relatively mediocre California team.