Collaborative Effort!

vbimport

As part of our Hardware lending program, Jwill and I have teamed up to put some hardware to work.

He is an awesome guy :cool: He sent me his 8800gt videocard with all the necessary adapters to get it working. In addition, he gave me pointers on getting the card folding to it’s maximum potential. Thanks buddy :clap:

The computer it went into is one of my main World Community Grid machines. It has a 500W 80plus gold certified Channel Well Tech. PSU. It was pulling 90 watts from the wall with it’s onboard video. Now with the 8800gt folding, it’s a little over 180 watts! GPUs are crazy power hogs, but gets a ton of work done compared to CPUs. I used the latest drivers from Nvidia and EVGA Precision Tool to tweak the card, all with Jwill’s help. Currently, with the fan at 100%, it is loading at 76-78C. Is this too hot? I am going to look for some high speed fans in my lab tomorrow anyway cuz it seems a bit too warm to me.

It is currently folding with the GPU2 console Client under the name “CD_Freaks_Collaboration” If anyone gets some hardware working with the help of others, use this account. It will be cool to see how much work we can get done together.

Keep up the good work everyone :clap:

congrats on getting it running :clap:

those temps look okay, my last 8800gt would routinely fold in the mid-high 80’s and a few times it made it into the 90s even with 100% fan and the stock thermal compound replaced with AS5 :eek: (wonder why it only lasted a year and a half :rolleyes::p)

better watch your back cancer, here come the CD Freaks! :cool:

[QUOTE=jwill427;2518459]congrats on getting it running :clap:
better watch your back cancer, here come the CD Freaks! :cool:[/QUOTE]

Damn straight!

The card has been running with no hicups for almost 72 hours. Here are the stats:
http://kakaostats.com/usum.php?u=1667962

I bumped the shader clock up to 1666 last night. No stability issues. Still about the same temps as before (75-78C). Would increasing the core or memory clocks make any difference?

[QUOTE=adict2jane;2519196]The card has been running with no hicups for almost 72 hours. Here are the stats:
http://kakaostats.com/usum.php?u=1667962

I bumped the shader clock up to 1666 last night. No stability issues. Still about the same temps as before (75-78C). Would increasing the core or memory clocks make any difference?[/QUOTE]

nice! its been getting almost exclusively 353pt units, which give some of the highest ppd out of all the gpu2 wu’s :clap:

bumping the core and memory clocks won’t make any difference, except more heat, but if you drop them much more though you will start to lose ppd. I did a lot of testing on my last 8800gt trying to find the lowest core and memory I could run without losing ppd :wink:

clocking the shaders is where its at for folding, but it can be tricky since they only work in 54mhz increments, my first 8800gt would fold at 1728 no problem and 1782 if it was a cold day but no mater what would eue at 1836. my second 8800gt was a dog and would occasionally get errors even at 1620. I never really messed with the one you have now, so here’s hoping its a good one :iagree:

You guys are doing some good numbers :iagree: :clap:

Hopefully you can make up for some of my loss, they are redoing my office at work and I had to shut down 4 of my computers there.They said it might be a month before I get my office back. :frowning:

The 8800GT was down for 8-9 hours today after the computer restarted after an update and then froze while it was rebooting :frowning:

But anyway, back up and running now. Crunch, crunch, crunch…

Ack…

I was away for 3 days and left the computer and GPU client running and asked a friend to watch it for me. Unfortunately, he closed the console GPU client on this first day so it hasn’t been running for a while. Just started it up again, back up and running. Crunch, crunch, crunch…

Just passed 1,000 WUs complete on Jwill’s donated 8800gt!

nice! she sure is cranking out some good numbers :iagree:

I’m almost afraid to start folding on my gtx260 again since bfg went under and the lifetime warranty is now void, less than 6 months after I bought it :doh::frowning:

[QUOTE=jwill427;2542262]nice! she sure is cranking out some good numbers :iagree:

I’m almost afraid to start folding on my gtx260 again since bfg went under and the lifetime warranty is now void, less than 6 months after I bought it :doh::([/QUOTE]

That sucks, I always wondered what would happen if you are using the card 10 years from now and it goes down. They probably wont be making new gtx260’s at that point right? So what do they send you?

generally they send you something of equal or better power, a while back on another forum a guy RMAed a dead 7900gt and got back a 9600gt. There was another guy that RMAed an 8800gtx and got a gtx 260 back, which is actually a huge upgrade but he didn’t see it that way because he paid more for the 8800 than the 260 was retailing for :rolleyes:.

So the 8800gt is offline for now. Fan was making bad noises and temps were increased. New HSF is on the way!

Once I get it back up, do I have to use the 8800gt as the output to my monitor? My mobo has onboard video, does it make sense to use the onboard video for actual graphics output and just let the 8800gt process the WUs?

Not sure the WUs will run without it unless you get a dummy end for it.
Read somewhere about them, tricks the video card into thinking it has a monitor connected.

First chance I get I will check some of mine out and see if they keep running if I pull the connection off.

well, I have something like this that should work fine if it just needs a chord plugged in:

I just wasn’t sure if windows or the FAH GPU client would be happy.

She is back up and running! :smiley:

This is the new HSF I got for it:
http://www.sytrin.com/3B-II-2-b.html

Good things are that it wasn’t to difficult to install, was super cheap ($10usd shipped), even at it’s highest speed it is a lot quieter compared to the stock fan, and my GPU load is now approximately 20 degrees Celsius cooler!!!

Also, somehow changing the HSF on the GPU has significantly reduced the power consumption of the rig. Not sure how this is possible but it’s like 30-40W lower than previously.

Only one real downside, there are a few components of the card which used to have connections to the stock heatsink and are now naked. Also, one of the memory heatsinks simply refused to stay attached. I will monitor the temps of these with an IR thermometer and come up with a solution if temps are too high.

Having it back online gives me a warm feeling inside :flower:

[QUOTE=adict2jane;2555428]

Also, somehow changing the HSF on the GPU has significantly reduced the power consumption of the rig. Not sure how this is possible but it’s like 30-40W lower than previously.

[/QUOTE]

Figured it out, BOINC (world community grid) wasn’t running :doh:
Power consumption is pretty much exactly the same

can’t beat that for $10 :cool:

Significantly improved the card’s temps by using thermal epoxy and some homemade cooling. Check out the thread here:

Okay Got Jwill427 MOBO/CPU and my Case/GPU

Could not get the GTS450 to run so I threw in an old 9800GT until I have time to see what is going on. May have to swap one of my 250’s and try it with this mobo.
Will have more time tomorrow to look things over.

Looks like about 3200 ppd

Decided to run it with CD_Freaks_Collaboration under the same.