Cold weather?

vbimport

Greetings. I just purchased a whole cache of Sony DVD+R media (Made in Japan, of course). Mixed 16x and 8x spindles. Silly me, I left them in my car overnight and it was well below freezing last night…had to scrape ice off the windows.

Will leaving these discs in the cold affect them in any way? They’re inside the house now and warm, but would the freezing temperature have affected the dye at all?

In theory a too extreme (both low or high) temperature can damage dye.

At least this is what is written on the box.

The only way to see if these media are damaged is to burn some and see results scanning them.

How cold did it actually get? Are we talking just below freezing - or very, very cold? As stated above, in theory, yes cold or heat could damage the dye - give one a test burn with CDSpeed and give it a scan - I would have thought as long as they are now back at room temperature with no condensation they should be ok.

Not very cold. It got down to about 25 F. I’ll be opening up one of them in a few days and run a test burn. Keep my fingers crossed, but common sense tells me that I’ll probably be fine.

If short term cold affected burn quality or lifespan in some way, well then alot of people are in trouble. I would guess that the vast majority media, at some point down the distribution chain, has been in the hands of a courier. In the winter, courier trucks get pretty darn cold.

especially true this winter in most of europe.

As long as you don’t warm the discs up too quickly, there is no problem with low temperatures and optical discs.

Very important point. :iagree:

Actually no one can tell for sure (depends on the manufacturing of the disc, glues used etc…), but I don’t think you’ll have issues [B]if you allow the discs get back to room temperature for at least 24 hours before burning them[/B] and you [B]don’t try to speed up the process by putting them in a too warm area[/B]: great/fast changes in temp is known to lead to slight warping, condensation etc…

The [I]faster[/I] the change, the more risks to possibly damage the physical properties of the disc.

As for the low temperature itself, if you’re worried about that, you should be worried with any media you buy: think that many of them may have been stored in such conditions for weeks! :wink:

:iagree: