CodeKing please read this: LiteOn 1673@1693 PROBLEMS

vbimport

CodeKing and experienced users, please read this. I’ve been having problems with various types of cheap media on my 1973@1693@KS04/KS09. The firmwrz I used were the crossflashed ones from your site with the DVD speed settings set to their max. The problem is that the write frequently fails towards the end of the burn, and in the cases where it succeeds burning it almost always fails verification either in the middle or towards the end of the disc. The burn speed itself varies too, it sometimes goes to the max whereas other times (especially towards the end of the disc) it drops down to almost zero at times. Same happens with the verification spped, it seems to be having problems verifying certain sectors. I also noticed that in many cases the produced discs had small “splashes” on their surface after the burn. I suspected that these problems may have been caused by the high verifying speed, so I reflashed withiout the speed tweaks and it seems to have solved the problem. Some “splashmarks” still remain though, and the discs still burn eratically with verification slowing down to a snail’s pace at times. I still produce some coasters, but nothing like it was when the reading speed was at max in the firmware.

The disc I’ve been using are:
Melody x4 DVD-R
Disc ID: GSC002 (these are £2.99 for a spindle of 25-the cheapest discs I found so far)

Datawrite Titanium x6 x8 DVD+R
Disc ID: PRODISC-R03-03

I know they are crap but I use these discs for presentations and go through a lot of them, so I buy cheap to keep the costs down. In the long run it now seems to be false economy considering the number of coasters I’ve made so far…

So here are my questions for the more experienced users:

1. Has anyone encountered such problems before (e.g splashmarks on discs after the burn, erratic read/writing speeds, failures towards the end of the burn etc)? And what inexpensive discs would you recommend for the 1673@1693 to avoid such problems? There must be some cheap media out there that “agrees” with Liteons.

2. Why the liteons take such a long time to start burning? It takes a minimum of 1 minute on my computer for the burn to start but at times it can take up to 3 minutes just to fill the buffer and during this time the PC doesn’t respond at all, it just freezes while the Liton is doing its thing… Is there a fix for this?

3. Is there a chance of us 1973@1693 owners to make our drives Lightscribe-compatible with a future firmware tweak? I suspect that lightscribe drives are using different optics…

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Alex

CodeKing and experienced users, please read this. I’ve been having problems with various types of cheap media on my 1973@1693@KS04/KS09. The firmwrz I used were the crossflashed ones from your site with the DVD speed settings set to their max. The problem is that the write frequently fails towards the end of the burn, and in the cases where it succeeds burning it almost always fails verification either in the middle or towards the end of the disc. The burn speed itself varies too, it sometimes goes to the max whereas other times (especially towards the end of the disc) it drops down to almost zero at times. Same happens with the verification spped, it seems to be having problems verifying certain sectors. I also noticed that in many cases the produced discs had small “splashes” on their surface after the burn. I suspected that these problems may have been caused by the high verifying speed, so I reflashed withiout the speed tweaks and it seems to have solved the problem. Some “splashmarks” still remain though, and the discs still burn eratically with verification slowing down to a snail’s pace at times. I still produce some coasters, but nothing like it was when the reading speed was at max in the firmware.

The disc I’ve been using are:
Melody x4 DVD-R
Disc ID: GSC002 (these are £2.99 for a spindle of 25-the cheapest discs I found so far)

Datawrite Titanium x6 x8 DVD+R
Disc ID: PRODISC-R03-03

I know they are crap but I use these discs for presentations and go through a lot of them, so I buy cheap to keep the costs down. In the long run it now seems to be false economy considering the number of coasters I’ve made so far…

So here are my questions for the more experienced users:

1. Has anyone encountered such problems before (e.g splashmarks on discs after the burn, erratic read/writing speeds, failures towards the end of the burn etc)? And what inexpensive discs would you recommend for the 1673@1693 to avoid such problems? There must be some cheap media out there that “agrees” with Liteons.

2. Why the liteons take such a long time to start burning? It takes a minimum of 1 minute on my computer for the burn to start but at times it can take up to 3 minutes just to fill the buffer and during this time the PC doesn’t respond at all, it just freezes while the Liton is doing its thing… Is there a fix for this?

3. Is there a chance of us 1973@1693 owners to make our drives Lightscribe-compatible with a future firmware tweak? I suspect that lightscribe drives are using different optics…

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Alex

your discs are crap.

• verbatim, fuji and sony discs are cheap and good
  • only quality media will “agree” with liteons.
  1. 1min is normal, but if it takes longer and the pc freezes, it could be a hardware problem

2. lightscribe needs different hardware, so no, it’s not possible with just a firmware tweak.

i answered in the other thread.

Like most things in this world you get what you pay for. What do you really expect from crap 12p a disc dvd’s?

You can get much better media for not much more £. You are better off buying in bulk to get cheaper prices than to just buy cheap crap disks. http://svp.co.uk/acatalog/dvdplusrnoprint.html Tuffdisc (8x) Overprints DVD+R Spindle Tubs of 100 CMC MAG E01 are cheap but much better than what you currently have and at £17/100 shouldn’t break your bank :slight_smile:

Maybe you should erase learnt media to see if this helps with subsequent burns.

The one minute burn delay is normal, the 3 minutes to fill buffer is not.

Either hard drive is very fragmented pc is very low spec neither or both.

I solved the problem by re-flashing with firmware which has DVD speed settings at defaults. Tweaked reading speeds seem to disagree with these crappy discs…
The 3-minutes-to-fill-buffer time happens very rarely as as you said it could be down to drive fragmentation. Usually it starts at about 1 min. PC is Athlon 64 3200+ with 2 gigs of RAM so speed is not a problem.

Thanks for your advice guys, I will certainly buy decent discs from now on…

Please use proper, clear topic next time. I think it’s bad to call others name or else no one will answer your question.

1. Please use good media to test and see if splashmarks still appear. I never experience splashmarks.
  2. 1 min is normal
  3. No

GSC002 works well at 4x…no point burning higher than 6x at all.

/offtopic
@CyberMan969
abalone is right… if u want to ask CodeKing use Private Messages/e-mail, if u making Thread, dot Title it “to CodeKing” etc …
/offtopic

/sarcasm on Ooh! CodeKing! CodeKing! My Lite-on has started making pancakes whenever I put pancake mix in it! /sarcasm off.

First of all:

Why do you use a 1693S firmware with your 1673S if you only burn cheap medias!!! The only difference between both FW is the ability to burn -R9 medias!!!

First of all, go and buy some decent DVD media to burn. :wink:

There are hardware parts missing in those drives for LS function. No firmware can cure that.

Prodisc media is decent!

CyberMan969, please read the forum rules. Cross posting (posting the same thing more than once) is not allowed. Posts merged…

I see the experienced users have answered your question :wink: