Coaster Maker (Lite-On SOHW-1693S)

[qanda]This thread is about the Lite-On SOHW-1693S. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]After using this burner for quite some time, I am encountering previously unexperienced problems with it.

I typically create 6 to 8 videos per week. I always first burn them on a DVD+RW, and if that looks good, they get burned onto a DVD+R. Recently, this has resulted in coasters on the DVD+R burn, although the process worked fine for a couple of years.

DVD+RWs burn without any problems.

The media brands remain the same. What should I be looking for. Thanks.

I’m using Linux, Slackware 12.1, with KDE3.5 desktop. For burning, I use growisofs from the command line.

[QUOTE=mongoman;2199882][qanda]This thread is about the Lite-On SOHW-1693S. Click here to see full specs[/qanda][B]After using this burner for quite some time, [/B]I am encountering previously unexperienced problems with it.

I typically create 6 to 8 videos per week. [B]I always first burn them on a DVD+RW, and if that looks good, they get burned onto a DVD+R. [/B] Recently, this has resulted in coasters on the DVD+R burn, although the process worked fine for a couple of years.

DVD+RWs burn without any problems.

The media brands remain the same. What should I be looking for. Thanks.

I’m using Linux, Slackware 12.1, with KDE3.5 desktop. For burning, I use growisofs from the command line.[/QUOTE]
Well from your description you’ve burned almost 2000 discs. That’s more than I usually get from a burner.

The media brands remain the same.

Over the years ‘Name Brand’ media (Memorex, Fuji, Imation, even Verbatim) are usually from different manufacturers and countries. The name is the same but the discs aren’t. Have you IDed your discs to see if in fact they are the same?

http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/

I estimate 6000. One CD-RW and one DVD-RW were re-written 1000 times.

Numerous backups, etc. were also done with the burner.

My case is positive ventilation, filtered air, so the burner has not been sucking in dusty air. Also the case temperature sits about 27 to 32C, which is reasonably cool.

It is probably time to look for a new drive. 6000 burns is quite a lot on a consumer level product like this.

And the advice you got above is correct. Just because you are buying the same brand is no guarantee of getting the same type of disks (there are a few exceptions, like That’s brand). The newer +R’s may not be very compatible.