Co-founder of Epic Games calls Microsoft’s Universal Windows Platform a ‘sneaky manoeuvre’

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Co-founder of Epic Games calls Microsoft’s Universal Windows Platform a ‘sneaky manoeuvre’[newsimage]http://www.myce.com/wp-content/images_posts/2015/07/myce-windows-10-here-95x75.png[/newsimage]

In a column for the The Guardian, Tim Sweeney, co-founder of large game development studio Epic Games calls Microsoft’s Universal Windows development platform a ‘sneaky manoeuvre’.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/co-founder-of-epic-games-calls-microsofts-universal-windows-platform-a-sneaky-manoeuvre-78774/](http://www.myce.com/news/co-founder-of-epic-games-calls-microsofts-universal-windows-platform-a-sneaky-manoeuvre-78774/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Many people have been suspicious of the general trend in the Windows environment towards a more closed system, one controlled to a far greater extent by Microsoft than in years past. Games are just part of that. The included programs within Windows 10 is more evidence of this, especially since some of them are very hard, or impossible to remove, and all are made the default app for their particular types of files.

I disabled a bunch of the extra apps that are included as some I have no use for and some actually cause problems. I think they have been watching Apple and Google and want a piece of that pies so to the Windows store they go. There was one update to a beta program I’m using that could supposed only be gotten(for free) from their store so I created a account just to get it. Later I rebooted my machine for some reason and discovered my login and password had been changed to what I used on their store.
Took me a bit to figure it out and as soon as I got logged in I disabled that one and put my old stuff back in. Really ticked me off though I’m sure there was some fine print I glossed over telling me they would do that.
Next time I think I’ll figure out how to side load if I want something from them again.

“Sideloading” should not be necessary with Windows. The fact that it is goes to show how malicious Windows has become. Thanks goodness for free (as in freedom) operating systems, such as GNU/Linux.

I think I will have to agree with Tim Sweeney on this. There is no reason for Universal Apps other than closing the system and thus becoming a copycat of Apple and Android… and just look at the ‘rooted’ mess it has created :rolleyes:

There is a non-recommended way to close off the entire shitty Universal mess in windows, at [B]‘HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System[/B]’ make or alter a DWord entry named ‘[B]EnableLUA[/B]’ and set the value to ‘[B]0[/B]’.
That stops any and all universal apps, but while Microsoft Store (needs windows update service running as well as firewall running) and a few other options seem fine to not have to hazzle with, they have managed to block the option more or less by making Windows update and other settings Universal apps as well.

What it means is that Microsoft does not present the Universal Windows platform as any real alternative but rather choose the ever emerging ‘force feeding’ route and so it is hard to disagree with Sweeney in his argument.

Fwiw, there is a download to turn off the whole Universal Armageddon, first posted in this thread related to old games. It goes a little further than absolutely needed as it also includes turning off the compatibility engine, but to be able to check out Windows 10 without Universal Armageddon it achieves its goal. It does come with a script to turn it on again so you will not get stuck.
Unpack the ZIP and right-click ‘StopPCA.bat’ and select ‘Run as Administrator’. To reverse it, right-click ‘StartPCA.bat’ and select ‘Run as Administrator’. Both scripts reboots your computer after prompting you to hit a key.

One clarification and an update:

[B]Clarification[/B]: it does require an account in the Administrators group to get the behavior explained above as none of the modern apps will start in the context of administrator unless UAC is enabled… It may be dragged to the bottom in the Users control panel application though, just not disabled in registry

[B]Update[/B]: I just tested this myself and it does seem that it behaves a little differently in the 1511 update :confused:
I tested it right after Windows 10 was released and even settings failed to work when turning off UAC entirely.
What I discovered now is that settings and updates works fine, but ordinary Universal apps still fails and so it seems Microsoft has loosened the UAC requirement a bit which may be good news for retro-gamers and people running other old programs not compatible with the technology…