C'mon, there's GOT to be a bargain in here somewhere!

vbimport

Now, before you guys give me a roasting about how cheap media is garbage and doesn’t last very long - Spare me, you’ve already gave it me. Hear me out though, I have a bargain can be spotted in the basement of all discs somewhere :slight_smile:

Some cheap discs are the get what you pay for kind. Awful, unstable burns and the longtivity is poor. But in there can be found some good discs.

In my experience of cheap burning discs, the best brand of discs I’ve used have been the Aone and Tesco’s own brand of discs, produced by UmeDisc under the Plasmon stamper code. Infact, Plasmon have been by far the most reliable stamper of disc, and UmeDisc is by far the most reliable disc manufacturer I’ve used.

I’ve had a few CMC and Ritek CD-R spindles, which have been all been garbage. I’ve had some in their DVD department, their RitekF1 code is pretty good, but CMC DVD-R are awful - But I think this is more a burner problem than anything.

But I’ve burnt over 100 backing up radio broadcasts and the likes, and the handful of errors on those UmeDisc CD-Rs have all been ones which have been burned on my finicky mum’s laptop burner. But those that have worked have worked flawless (Though I do like to keep burning to my main computer - Much safer that way)

For example of those good UmeDisc discs I’ve used: Tesco’s and AOne. All being very good :slight_smile: Since they are so good, I might go out and buy another spindle.

Although it’s not usually advised to stick to supermarket brand discs because of their lower quality, I can vouch in a sense for in a sense, ASDA’s own discs are absolute garbage! Their first batch were some okay Ritek discs, before they went over to the CMC dark side :doh: :@

Any tips and suggestions? Memorex always comes into the lower price bracket but still any good - Particularly if you got lucky like I did and came out with an MBI code :slight_smile:

Chad, Chad, Chad…Most of us don’t have the time or desire to fuss around with cheap media. It seems you do, so why don’t you try all the cheap media you’d like and post us of any surprises. Since you have created or participated in over a dozen threads about cheap disks, you could easily be our ‘Cheap Media Connoisseur’…

Yeah, sorry about that :slight_smile: No, this is merely a thread for those who can’t necessarily afford the extra wonga that Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden are asking, but I do accept they can be pretty good (Leading standard?) And don’t worry I will post anything - And my desire to stay away from CMC is proof that I don’t neccisarily buy into all garbage. :bigsmile:

Some people buy cheap discs because that’s all they can afford. I do like my bargain spotting, but the next batch of DVD-Rs once I’ve worn down my Maxell DVD-Rs which have been pretty good will be Verbatim which can be got for near enough the same price. I do apologise however for the worthlessness of this thread, it didn’t cross my mind I had submitted several of these before :doh:

Lemme put the cat amongst the pigeons for a second (err…so to speak).

Asda’s discs have been OK for me: both the AML 8x +Rs and the CMC stuff (except CMC MAG M01, but that’s a whole different story, not related to Asda brand discs in particular…). However, Asda’s CMC is never gonna be of the quality HP or TDK get anyway.

I think it really does depend on burner/firmware, as usual.

But olyteddy’s suggestion’s a good one…you could be our cheap media bloke, just like Pepst is The Man for unknown/more obscure stuff. :iagree:

EDIT: BTW, Morrison’s own-brand 16x +Rs are…MBIL :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=Arachne;2595101]Lemme put the cat amongst the pigeons for a second (err…so to speak).

Asda’s discs have been OK for me: both the AML 8x +Rs and the CMC stuff (except CMC MAG M01, but that’s a whole different story, not related to Asda brand discs in particular…). However, Asda’s CMC is never gonna be of the quality HP or TDK get anyway.

I think it really does depend on burner/firmware, as usual.

But olyteddy’s suggestion’s a good one…you could be our cheap media bloke, just like Pepst is The Man for unknown/more obscure stuff. :iagree:

EDIT: BTW, Morrison’s own-brand 16x +Rs are…MBIL :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

Hey wait a minute! Do you reckon Club MyCE can boost me to “Cheap Media Guru”? LMAO! :bigsmile: - What would I have to do to qualify? :wink:

CMC MAG discs, particular CD-R and Arita discs under Ritek (Infact, skip ALL Ritek CD-Rs!) have not been too grand, but I think the majority of failures were on an old Pioneer burner, which was second hand, from around 2004, and they used it for a heck of a lot of burning.

I would also like to add that even though supermarket discs aren’t predicted to be great, Arachne basically got the jist I was getting at. Since supermarkets have a tendency to switch manufacturers occasionally, if someone pops up and buys a supermarket disc to find an excellent manufacturer in it, such as Arachne’s suggestion of Morrison’s DVD+R using the MBIL - Then we’ve spotted ourselves a bargain!

Whilst perhaps not as all singing and all dancing as Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden, they are still a decent brand of disc. I do know when not to buy discs and under what brand - Such as Mirror 16 DVD-R. This uses the Fake TY disc, and even though I’ve only had one or two failures I wouldn’t like to vouch for them long term. :Z

Ack, must not let thread die out! :bigsmile:

Seriously though, the cheap (but good!) brands I have in mind are Maxell (What is your obsession with Maxell, Chad? :rolleyes: ) and Traxdata 16x - Who I just found out are RitekF1 discs. (Traxdata use premium blend Ritek Grade A Dye - Whereas ARITA is officially the worst of the worst. I can’t fathom how the heck ARITA exists - It’s like all Ritek discs that failed inspection got packaged off under ARITA brand :eek: )

So yes, although they don’t look as sturdy as Maxell, as it is using the RitekF1 Premium Dye I can also add that to the good list.

Also like to add about Greenpod discs produced under CMC MAG AM3 - Only tried a handful, but my experience has been pretty good! :slight_smile:

I know this thread is getting old, but the one thing that used to be important to remember, when good media was available, is that good media wasn’t ever actually more expensive than cheap media. That was all a lie. I always got Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden and other high-quality media CHEAP. How? I knew how to shop. The difference between good media that’s cheap and crappy media that’s cheap was found in the ability of the bargain hunter.

Now, I’m in the United States, where we have a culture oriented toward this sort of thing, so it might not be helpful for someone in Europe. I don’t know if Europeans have the same culture of consumerist class warfare that nurtures these kinds of skills.

New replies are always welcome, Negritude :wink:

Well, yeah but it’s worth pointing out that not many people are nutters (like the members of Club MyCE! :wink: ) and may not have the time nor patience to rake through dyes, or may not be entirely too interested in knowing about Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim, and may not like to order online.

Primarily, this question is geared towards the people that realise that cheap DVD media may not be too reliable, but instead work on a very stringent budget. I don’t want to sound ignorant but I have no interest in disc scanning, so that means nothing to me. What verifies as a good disc is what verifies in ImgBurn and the dye type.

EG - CMC MAG AM3 I’ve had nothing but shoddy results, whereas my best performance is using a MBI DVD+R. So if I can bag that or RitekF1 I know I’m okay. Brand doesn’t matter, but I prefer proper brands. Maxell, Sony and the likes. Ultimately because I work on a cheap and cheerful recorder burning at 1x - What matters to me is finding a DVD dye type that works on that recorder, and works well.

I do not, however, trust supermarket brands for DVD discs. Ideally I don’t like to buy online, so finding a good bargain is important to me :slight_smile:

Has that cleared anything up?

However,

[QUOTE=Chad_Bronson;2599141]I do not, however, trust supermarket brands for DVD discs.[/QUOTE]

See, now that is definitely European terminology. I don’t even know what a Supermarket brand is. I’ve seen them mentioned by Arachne and others before, but I was never quite sure of what they meant exactly. Is that the equivalent of what we call a House brand in North America?

For example, we have a chain of retail office supply stores in the United States known as OfficeMax. A long time ago, in addition to name brand DVDs from companies like Verbatim, they had their own “house” brand of media that was sold under their own name. Some of this media was quite good, because it was often manufactured by the same companies that made the best brand name media.

So, does Supermarket (European) brand = House (United States) brand, or is it something else?

[QUOTE=negritude;2599253]See, now that is definitely European terminology. I don’t even know what a Supermarket brand is. I’ve seen them mentioned by Arachne and others before, but I was never quite sure of what they meant exactly. Is that the equivalent of what we call a House brand in North America?

For example, we have a chain of retail office supply stores in the United States known as OfficeMax. A long time ago, in addition to name brand DVDs from companies like Verbatim, they had their own “house” brand of media that was sold under their own name. Some of this media was quite good, because it was often manufactured by the same companies that made the best brand name media.

So, does Supermarket (European) brand = House (United States) brand, or is it something else?[/QUOTE]

You’ve pretty much nailed it Negritude - The “supermarket” term is the European equiviliant of a house brand in America - Though I would like to question if Americans still call a supermarket a - er, supermarket - Why is it therefore referred to as a house brand for the supermarket branded / no name equipment? :confused:

Or maybe do you American’s say “I’m going to the house.” :bigsmile:

And yeah, supermarket does do some great discs from time to time (For example, Arachne told me that Morrison’s Home and Office brand of discs run under the MBI code. As it happens, I needed some discs and was in Morrisons, and so wanted to try them, after hearing an MBI code is quite good :slight_smile: )

Though I would like to question if Americans still call a supermarket a - er, supermarket

Yes, but you’d call them ‘Grocers’. What you call a ‘Supermaket’ we’d call a ‘Box Store’.

PS: You can get ‘House Brands’ at our ‘Supermarkets’, but they’d likely be soups or milk or cheeses or canned prunes or…

I think the term “house brand” somehow originated from the concept of something being created “in-house”. In other words, in business usage, the term “house” is a self-reference to your own business. Doing work “in-house” means you do it yourself, without hiring outside help. A “house brand” is a product that is labeled as yours, and not a third-party.

In the states, the term “supermarket” is used almost exclusively to refer to a large facility where one primarily buys food and groceries.

It looks like the term may have the same meaning in Europe, but in the states, our supermarkets do not have any useful selection of technology products. You would never find any optical media at a supermarket in the states, except maybe some small pack of Memorex.

In the states, we get most of our locally bought media from “office supplies” stores, whose original mission was catering to business needs, and “big box” retailers, which are large stores where often the primary products sold are consumer electronics.

You would also find optical media and technology at what we call a “warehouse” store, which is a huge airport-like facility that combines the functions of a supermarket and a big box store.

Oh wow, I did not know that :disagree:

Yeah that’s pretty much the same deal over at our supermarkets. Although if you were to get a brand of optical media to sit along side along side the supermarket / house varient, why not get a better brand of disc, like Maxell? They must be about the same price to pay surely?

[QUOTE=Chad_Bronson;2599588]Although if you were to get a brand of optical media to sit along side along side the supermarket / house varient, why not get a better brand of disc, like Maxell?[/QUOTE]

Because in the old days, the house brands were often equal and sometimes better than what you could easily find under a name brand. As name brands started going to hell, house brands became a refuge for finding media that was disappearing.

Office Depot “house brand” media was often great burning RICOHJPN R03.

OfficeMax “house brand” media could be great burning OPTODISC R008 and even MCC 02RG20.

Fry’s Electronics “house brand” media was often good burning SONY16D1 and SONY D21.

There is over a decade of information in the threads on this site, detailing all the analysis that went into discerning exactly what media was to be found under what brand and under which particular circumstances. All we wanted was the best media, no matter what so-called “brand” it fell under. If it was determined that you could find good media under a house brand, we bought it. We didn’t give a damn about brands. Brands don’t mean anything. Media codes and manufacturers do.

[QUOTE=negritude;2599694]Because in the old days, the house brands were often equal and sometimes better than what you could easily find under a name brand. As name brands started going to hell, house brands became a refuge for finding media that was disappearing.

Office Depot “house brand” media was often great burning RICOHJPN R03.

OfficeMax “house brand” media could be great burning OPTODISC R008 and even MCC 02RG20.

Fry’s Electronics “house brand” media was often good burning SONY16D1 and SONY D21.

There is over a decade of information in the threads on this site, detailing all the analysis that went into discerning exactly what media was to be found under what brand and under which particular circumstances. All we wanted was the best media, no matter what so-called “brand” it fell under. If it was determined that you could find good media under a house brand, we bought it. We didn’t give a damn about brands. Brands don’t mean anything. Media codes and manufacturers do.[/QUOTE]

I’ll handle your comment in a lump sum :slight_smile: It wasn’t until I had joined last year after I was getting as high as a 80%, if not more, failure rate on a Pioneer burner and a DVSKOREA burner on my standalone which I think was pretty old so probably couldn’t handle 16x media very reliably.

Since I was getting a high failure rate after going through a RiDisc / Bulkpaq 50 packs, I decided to join Club MyCE - Not only to get more knowledge of what discs are good and what are garbage - But to share my own knowledge.

Now interestingly, all of my discs have pretty much failed verification on ImgBurn on my retired Phillips and current BenQ burner (when burned on a DVSKOREA burner). Yet verified okay on my mums and nannans laptop.

So I mused some burners are tolerant enough to read a DVSKOREA management area whilst others won’t go past the 10%. But I digress - I did learn that the CMC MAG AM3 discs dye itself is constantly being reformulated and was far too erratic to be stable.

I have had, however, excellent results using the RitekF1 / RitekF16 dye and MBI dye codes, but I’m starting to become nervous by the blue streaks on the RitekF1 discs - Which I’m not sure if this is a result of the recorder burning the disc incorrectly or dye formulation correctly. If someone can shed some light on this topic, I’ll be thankful :iagree:

However the purpose of this topic was to spread the message that if, for example, Memorex is using a CMC MAG code, I will not buy it, but I will consider buying it if I know they have outsourced to say MBI or RitekF code. Whereas for example Maxell has used the Ritek codes for a few years now - So I can assure myself I will get a Ritek.

Imitation is the same deal - It is more than likely you will get a MBI code.

Has that cleared things up a little?

Love the latest bit of discussion! :smiley:

Going back to Negritude’s mention of bargain-hunting skills - I think with alot of stuff being expensive here to start with (Rip Off Britain, anyone?), plus the economical climate in the last few years, folk here have become waaaay better at bargain-hunting than we once were.

In fact, I don’t call it a good media-buying day if I haven’t had to hunt a bit for the best deals/decent stuff hidden way at the back of the shelf - the thrill of the hunt, you know. I like the challenge. If decent media was handed me on a plate or easier to find, I’d soon get bored. :wink:

We haven’t quite yet reached the US coupon thing - some of the deals you guys get are amazing :clap:

Some really interesting info re: US stores there too, Negritude - I enjoyed reading that :clap:

[QUOTE=Chad_Bronson;2599741]However the purpose of this topic was to spread the message that if, for example, Memorex is using a CMC MAG code, I will not buy it, but I will consider buying it if I know they have outsourced to say MBI or RitekF code. Whereas for example Maxell has used the Ritek codes for a few years now - So I can assure myself I will get a Ritek.

Imitation is the same deal - It is more than likely you will get a MBI code.[/QUOTE]

LOL! You wrote “Imitation”, which is exactly what Imation media is these days! ;-D

But yes, it seems we are in agreement, even though me might be saying things in a slightly different way. It’s the media code that matters, and how to find the one you prefer. :flower:

[QUOTE=Arachne;2599886]Love the latest bit of discussion! :smiley:

Going back to Negritude’s mention of bargain-hunting skills - I think with alot of stuff being expensive here to start with (Rip Off Britain, anyone?), plus the economical climate in the last few years, folk here have become waaaay better at bargain-hunting than we once were.

In fact, I don’t call it a good media-buying day if I haven’t had to hunt a bit for the best deals/decent stuff hidden way at the back of the shelf - the thrill of the hunt, you know. I like the challenge. If decent media was handed me on a plate or easier to find, I’d soon get bored. :wink:

We haven’t quite yet reached the US coupon thing - some of the deals you guys get are amazing :clap:

Some really interesting info re: US stores there too, Negritude - I enjoyed reading that :clap:[/QUOTE]

Aha, brilliant Arachne as always :wink:

As much as I like a good deal, I could never understand why companies, in particular supermarkets, attempt to blag us by selling crap media at expensive prices and then have the bottle to tell us that we are getting a good deal.

Memosux media for example is sometimes sold at £5.99 for a 25 pack in Morrisons - Granted right now their own brand is actually better than Memorex, it’s beggers’ belief that we are being fobbed off in this way.

Amazon however are doing some good deals on discs at the moment. Once I’ve depleated my emergency Morrisons’ brand of disc, I’ll consider buying online next time round.

PS - The Morrisons’ own brand looks a tad flimsy, but they have been burning excellently so far. Ritek and MBI have got my heart right about now - Even though MBI and Ritek outsource, I get the impression other than Arita brand that they are far more concerned about quality control than CMC is :slight_smile:

@Negritude - AHAHA, I didn’t even notice that! xD

Pun not intended, of course :stuck_out_tongue: Isn’t Imation supposed to be stable, reliable media? I hear it’s from the same mother company who owns Memorex, but aren’t the producers of Imititi - That word - far more careful what goes under the brand name, as opposed to letting any old tosh by Memorex?

:o

As much as I like a good deal, I could never understand why companies, in particular supermarkets, attempt to blag us by selling crap media at expensive prices and then have the bottle to tell us that we are getting a good deal.

Memosux media for example is sometimes sold at £5.99 for a 25 pack in Morrisons - Granted right now their own brand is actually better than Memorex, it’s beggers’ belief that we are being fobbed off in this way.

Completely agree. PC World (at least the one I go to in Ashton, Bristol) do exactly the same thing.

Amazon however are doing some good deals on discs at the moment. Once I’ve depleated my emergency Morrisons’ brand of disc, I’ll consider buying online next time round.

I must admit, I don’t buy media online as much as I should. I think it’s down to that “thrill of the hunt” thing again. It’s more of a challenge to find reasonably-priced good stuff in B&M stores. :slight_smile:

PS - The Morrisons’ own brand looks a tad flimsy, but they have been burning excellently so far…

I noticed the same. They burn nicely for me too, though. Hehe, I only have those discs 'cos my mate bought me a 25-pack for my birthday. Otherwise I’d never have known that they’re (currently at least!) MBIL. The cakebox is the usual MBIL-type thing as well - so you don’t have to buy or open up the packaging to make sure. :wink:

ROFTLMAO @ “Imitation” - brilliant, I never noticed it first time either! :smiley: