CMCMAG AM3 users: best current sources?

[QUOTE=Albert;2052991]HP LightScribe CMC MAG. AM3 was very good.[/QUOTE]

Oh yes, that was the other quirk about 16x CMC. It seems, based on several people’s experiences, that the lightscribe versions of AM3 and M01 are of infinitely more consistent quality and much better burning wise, than the regular consumer versions. Why this is so is unknown, but maybe the manufacturing standards for LS media are higher in some way. If you can, definitely try some AM3 lightscribe disks.

[QUOTE=negritude;2053047]First, what do CDs have to do with DVDs? Nothing for the purposes of this discussion.[/quote]Well, DVDs pack more data into the same physical space, and with a smaller redundancy margin. By my logic, unless CMC has dramatically improved their manufacturing processes in the last few years, their DVDs may well be as useless, or more, than their CDs.

Second, you should be aware that the person making the original inquiry is an extremely experienced media burning expert
I only realised this after I had posted :frowning:

I’m not trying to discourage you from contributing, because I’m sure you have some interesting insights based on your experience, but the question was posed to us very concretely and precisely, and overall bashing of a brand is of no use to us here.
Fair enough, I was merely stating, that based on my past and recent experience with this manufacturer and its reputation, I wouldn’t trust any CMC MAG media of any class.

That all I was trying to get at, though I did it in a rather roundabout way.

I acknowledged the semi-off-topicness of my post in the first line by saying

This would have given the OP cause to skip the post entirely as it may not have fully answered his question.

OK, took the time to read everything, looks like what I had already gathered before opening this thread was kinda correct, i.e. AM3s seem to be rather variable in quality even under a “reference” brand like HP.

Anyway I checked the suppliers still available to me, and found that I don’t have many choices around here: either HP or Memorex, since TDK 16X -R are exclusively TTH02 (I already know these discs pretty well now - can’t recommend them :rolleyes: ). There’s no unbranded CMC either (not that I would have thought of buying any :bigsmile:). Then HP it will be, and if I stumble on a bad batch, oh well, I’m buying these out of mediamania anyway… :wink: (and I thought I was cured… :doh: )

Thanks again for all of the reports. I have a couple of specific questions about some of them, and will post the questions when I get some more free time. :slight_smile:

you want some of the AM3 i have ?

[QUOTE=SeanW;2053057]Well, DVDs pack more data into the same physical space, and with a smaller redundancy margin. By my logic, unless CMC has dramatically improved their manufacturing processes in the last few years, their DVDs may well be as useless, or more, than their CDs.[/QUOTE]You do realize that the Verbs most people here prefer are made by CMC, that and their 8x is/was better then most current 16x discs. Alot of times with CMC the problem was the crappy burn quality thanks to the burner lacking decent support for the MID. There are people here that swore even their earlier discs held up well for them.

As far as AM3 I have some TDK I haven’t gotten to burn yet, but if my experience with M01 is any indicator they should be pretty good as TDK M01 was far better then Magnavox :Z.

[QUOTE=Francksoy;2053412]…since TDK 16X -R are exclusively TTH02…[/QUOTE]

Are you in Europe or something, because TDK 16x -R in the states can be Prodisc, Malaysian Daxon, or CMC. I have one of each spindle sitting in front of me, that I got on clearance at Best Buy. I think they might also use Moser Baer for the -R, but I’m not sure (haven’t found any made in India spindles yet). And someone once reported getting a spindle made by FTI in the UAE.

[quote=negritude;2053623]Are you in Europe or something…[/quote] [B]Francksoy[/B] is in Belgium, a country that most European online shops can’t (or won’t) ship to because of blank media taxes/levies and import restrictions, so choices are more limited than other European countries.

[QUOTE=negritude;2053053]Oh yes, that was the other quirk about 16x CMC. It seems, based on several people’s experiences, that the lightscribe versions of AM3 and M01 are of infinitely more consistent quality and much better burning wise, than the regular consumer versions. Why this is so is unknown, but maybe the manufacturing standards for LS media are higher in some way. If you can, definitely try some AM3 lightscribe disks.[/QUOTE]

Interesting, I remember trying some Imation branded E01 and it was worse than my usual E01. Seems the opposite for the 16x media as I’ve heard a few times now that the LS are better.

@ Francksoy - I’m pretty sure any MIT Imation 16x discs are CMC. Also, I’ve seen brands like LG and Mr. Data also using CMC AM3 codes. You might have to go on a Semi blind hunt and just get a no name brand that is using a CMC MAG spindle. :stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2053631][B]Francksoy[/B] is in Belgium…[/QUOTE]

Ah, that explains it. Gee, he’s so nice, I never thought he’d be a Belgian. :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=Burnsama;2052657]here is HP Brand :Z [B]CMC.MAG.AM3[/B]
this week sunday from Staples ( 50disc spindle)
Two disc Fail burn with Lite-On LH-20A1H vLLOD[/QUOTE]Mmmh, what burning speed?

[QUOTE=cd pirate;2053660]@ Francksoy - I’m pretty sure any MIT Imation 16x discs are CMC. Also, I’ve seen brands like LG and Mr. Data also using CMC AM3 codes[/quote]Got it. :slight_smile:

You might have to go on a Semi blind hunt and just get a no name brand that is using a CMC MAG spindle. :stuck_out_tongue:
I’m not buying anything in street shops, far too expensive here. You can’t even imagine. :rolleyes:

[OT]

I never thought he’d be a Belgian
Actually I’m not. I’m half French (mother) half Swiss (father), born in Geneva, living in Belgium since the mid-90’s. :slight_smile:
[/OT]