CMCMAG AM3 users: best current sources?

vbimport

I’m about to make a new stash and I’d like to try some new* discs while I’m at it, amongst which AM3s.
*New to my home, I mean…

I’d be interested in having backup from members who actually use AM3s, about which brands/models seem to be the most reliable currently, and also which of your burners/firmwares seems to give the most reliable burns out of them.

Oh BTW Im’ not interested in inputs like “CMC=crap” or “use only Verbatim or TY”… :wink: - it’s not a debate about best media… :slight_smile:

In case some others are also interested in opinions and reports about CMC MAG AM3 disc, I found this interesting thread:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f33/whats-cmc-mag-am3-media-like-240243/

Hi Franck, I use HP branded CMC MAG AM3 and I have nothing bad to say about
them as long as I keep them out of my Liteon burners. They do pretty good in
the Samsung burners as you can see in one of my posts in the thread that you
linked to in post #8. I did have some Memorex or should that be Memowrecks LOL!!
branded CMC MAG Am3 laying around here somewhere that I haven’t burned any in
a while at least not since I got the Samsung burners. I’ll try to find it and try it out
in one or two of the Samsung’s and see how it does because it didn’t fair all that well
with my old 160P6S Liteon back then. :Z

I have only tried HP branded CMC MAG. AM3 and they’re OK; in my experience picking the right burner can make a significant difference in PIE/PIF.

I seem to remember my BenQ DW1655 doing well with them (SolidBurn+WOPC enabled) and my Pioneer DVR-111(L) also. I’ll double-check when I get back home where I can see my scans.

I’ve only used HP-branded AM3s so far, although I did recently pick up some TDK AM3s on the cheap, when Best Buy had them on clearance. My conclusions are that AM3 is very stable, and it works well for video playback, but the scans are less than pretty. SolidBurn on a Nexperia BenQ might be just the thing, and right up your alley, because the built-in strategies are adequate, but not that hot.

Oh, and remember, this is CDFreaks. There are no mindless CMC haters here. You’re thinking of the other boards you traverse. :bigsmile:

Theres my thread here about them as i was curious a while back :stuck_out_tongue: , http://club.cdfreaks.com/f33/cmc-mag-am3-226671/ , mine were unbranded cmc :slight_smile: just in shrink wrapping

I would recommend you 16x LGs - they are very good for their low price. However, 8x LGs (especially +R) are even better:

I’ve used them under the LG brand and I got some variable results with my pioneer but other drives seemed fine. Whilst the scans were average, the video playback did not show any faults.

[QUOTE=Francksoy;2052327]
Oh BTW Im’ not interested in inputs like “CMC=crap” or “use only Verbatim or TY”… :wink: - it’s not a debate about best media… :slight_smile:
[/QUOTE]

Haha, you’re not gonna get that from me :wink:

TDK CMC MAG. AM3 works very nicely for me so far, as does the Infiniti branded.

Burned nicely, and with zero playback issues.

However, these were burned at 8x on a Samsung SH-S182D with SB06 firmware. Also burned some on my LG E10N (JE07) with the same results. :slight_smile:

here is HP Brand :Z [B]CMC.MAG.AM3[/B]
this week sunday from Staples ( 50disc spindle )
Two disc Fail burn with Lite-On LH-20A1H vLLOD

Ok, I know this is not what you want to hear, but you’re asking for trouble: As a person who has just thrown out 20 or 30 CMC MAG CD-Rs due to damage and data failure, I cannot recommend this course of action at all. Unless of course, your data is trivial.

I recently scanned with ScanDisc my entire stash of media, numbering about 250, of which 200+ were CDs the majority of them CMC MAG followed by Prodisc, Ritek, Tayio Yuden and MPO. By far the CDs worst affected by the passage of time were the CMC MAGs.

However, one thing I found is that there’s CMC MAG and there’s CMC MAG, discs under some brands did very well, while some did OK (like Memorex, where I didn’t lose any data but still had some damage), to utter crap like British company “PC Line” (2 total failures out of 10) and Lidl’s own brand Octron (burned a few years ago, all failed).

So by all means, if you get one of the “better” implementations of CMC MAG media, go with it.

However, based on my net experience with CMC MAG I will never use it again for any purpose if at all I can avoid it and I would encourage you - in the strongest possible terms - to reconsider this (mis)adventure.

I have had excellent results with Staples branded CMCMAG AM3 as well as Jewel cased Memorex but the Memorex you have the chance of getting Ritek’s.

The few HP Spindles (both 25 packs) have been absolutely horrid for me so I have not tried any more of those.

[quote=DrageMester;2052481]I have only tried HP branded CMC MAG. AM3 and they’re OK; in my experience picking the right burner can make a significant difference in PIE/PIF.

I seem to remember my BenQ DW1655 doing well with them (SolidBurn+WOPC enabled) and my Pioneer DVR-111(L) also. I’ll double-check when I get back home where I can see my scans.[/quote] Oops - memory playing tricks on me. :doh:

Actually my Pioneer DVR-111 drives were not that great with unmodified firmware, producing less than stellar burns during the first 450 MB. Substituting write strategy with CMC MAG. AM1 solved the problem and produced a result comparable to th BenQ DW1655.

My Pioneer DVR-112(L) is also very good with CMC MAG. AM3.

All of these were burned at 8x which almost always produce the best burns in those drives.

Not so good results with an Optiarc AD-7173A and a NEC ND-4551A, but I blame that on the Optiarc/NEC drives and their bad relinking.

Fair results with LiteOn 1635S, LiteOn 165P6S, Plextor PX-760A, NEC ND-3500AG all tested at 8x except the 3500 at 16x, but not as good as results with the previously mentioned drives.

Thanks for the reminder, MegaDETH - I’m also currently working my way through a Memorex 25 spindle (CMC MAG. AM3) - while they don’t scan as prettily as the others I mentioned, again playback is flawless.

And this is on a standalone which, I forgot to mention, hates all other CMC DVD media except for this MID, it would seem. :wink:

I can’t speak for everyone but I consider Francksoy a media expert so his use for AM3’s is not even a question :flower:

Anyway he isn’t talking CD-R’s he’s talking DVD’s.

[QUOTE=SeanW;2052668]Ok, I know this is not what you want to hear, but you’re asking for trouble: As a person who has just thrown out 20 or 30 CMC MAG CD-Rs due to damage and data failure, I cannot recommend this course of action at all. Unless of course, your data is trivial.

I recently scanned with ScanDisc my entire stash of media, numbering about 250, of which 200+ were CDs the majority of them CMC MAG followed by Prodisc, Ritek, Tayio Yuden and MPO. By far the CDs worst affected by the passage of time were the CMC MAGs.

However, one thing I found is that there’s CMC MAG and there’s CMC MAG, discs under some brands did very well, while some did OK (like Memorex, where I didn’t lose any data but still had some damage), to utter crap like British company “PC Line” (2 total failures out of 10) and Lidl’s own brand Octron (burned a few years ago, all failed).

So by all means, if you get one of the “better” implementations of CMC MAG media, go with it.

However, based on my net experience with CMC MAG I will never use it again for any purpose if at all I can avoid it and I would encourage you - in the strongest possible terms - to reconsider this (mis)adventure.[/QUOTE]

Arachne, that reminds me as well :wink: I have never had any standalone issues when using CMC MAG. AM3, very compatible.

[QUOTE=Arachne;2052678]Thanks for the reminder, MegaDETH - I’m also currently working my way through a Memorex 25 spindle (CMC MAG. AM3) - while they don’t scan as prettily as the others I mentioned, again playback is flawless.

And this is on a standalone which, I forgot to mention, hates all other CMC DVD media except for this MID, it would seem. ;)[/QUOTE]

A quick login to thank you all for the input, I don’t have the time right now to go through all of the posts, will get back later. :slight_smile:

Currently, my opinion is this:

HP LightScribe CMC MAG. AM3 was very good.
plain-Jane HP CMC MAG. AM3 is junk above 6x [or 4x for some discs]
TDK-branded CMC MAG. AM3 is okay. It does decently at 18x, and all speeds below are good.

I’ve only had one spindle of each, but that’s how it’s been for me.

[QUOTE=pepst;2052492]However, 8x LGs (especially +R) are even better:[/QUOTE]

Indeed, we’ve already reached general consensus about AE1 and E01. They are now a part of the CDFreaks rare media hall of fame, so there’s really no need to talk about them. Francksoy and many others here have lots of that media. This thread is trying to interrogate the value of 16x CMC media, whose value is yet to be proven or fully quantified.

[QUOTE=SeanW;2052668]Ok, I know this is not what you want to hear, but you’re asking for trouble: As a person who has just thrown out 20 or 30 CMC MAG CD-Rs due to damage and data failure, I cannot recommend this course of action at all. Unless of course, your data is trivial…However, based on my net experience with CMC MAG I will never use it again for any purpose if at all I can avoid it and I would encourage you - in the strongest possible terms - to reconsider this (mis)adventure.[/QUOTE]

First, what do CDs have to do with DVDs? Nothing for the purposes of this discussion.

Second, you should be aware that the person making the original inquiry is an extremely experienced media burning expert, and his question is very specific, and cannot be answered in any way by generalizations. Unless you can talk specifically about CMC MAG AM3, which is 16x DVD-R media, you’re just ignoring the original question and wasting the person’s time.

I’m not trying to discourage you from contributing, because I’m sure you have some interesting insights based on your experience, but the question was posed to us very concretely and precisely, and overall bashing of a brand is of no use to us here.