CMC Magnetics DVD-R longetivity

how’s the data longevity on the AM3?

thank you :slight_smile:

[I]Moved from “Blank media tests” subforum.[/I]

[QUOTE=jarthel;2308697]how’s the data longevity on the AM3?

thank you :)[/QUOTE]

Hi jarthel,
at least in my experience, the CMC made DVDR media (A-grade) are one of the most stable and reliable media you can get.
CMC has gained a bad name because of their crap cyanine CD-Rs (back in 1998-2000) and c-grade DVDs (sold und brands like Tuffdisc, etc), but but those times are gone.
I have a few 5-6 years old CMC DVDRs and they are still in a perfect shape.

And what about maxell, tdk - those tested myself and i know its crap.
Probably some other top brands too. I dont trust any cmc, and wondering there are people who use it

I have some of their 8x media that’s been around with me for about 4 or 5 years that’s still chugging along OK [scratches and all]. I haven’t used much of the 16x -R [AM3] to say how long it lasts, though I haven’t noticed any issues with the few I run across.

I’d say that it’s easy to get a bad batch of CMC’s DVD-R and be turned off by initial quality [though all but one batch of CMC DVD-R for me has been good], but [again] none of the -R of their own design have degraded on me. I’m willing to say that AM3 is safe to use from [I]lack[/I] of reports of degradation issues.

I’ve just been testing a whole bunch of older TDK and Infiniti branded AM3s and was pleasantly surprised to see all have held up well - I know the E01s (A-grade, as mentioned) are extremely stable, but was unsure of the AM3 until now, though they do burn beautifully.

Only AM3s in my collection that haven’t done that brilliantly longevity-wise are the Memorex ones. Which will be no surprise to most. :wink:

@Albert - 5 years or so and doing fine for my own E01s, too :cool:

[QUOTE=Albert;2308916]…I’m willing to say that AM3 is safe to use from [I]lack[/I] of reports of degradation issues.[/QUOTE]

I’d go with that. Only with the M01s have I heard of any deterioration issue.

I got some [B]Tuff Disk media[/B] a while back to backup a friends kids DVD’s because she was on the third go-a-round for some of them !
When I looked at them under a light you can see the Verbatim branding under the sticker they put over the top that they must call the Tuff part of “Tuff disk”. IMO I have no problems with the “Tuff Disk” media as long as they can be got for a good price. My main dislike is the label and the way it looks.

As for [B]CMC E01[/B], I only have good things to say about them, and going back thru my oldest DVD’s (doing backups/re-burn where needed) the [B]CMC E01’s[/B] I have been given have done very well, from what I see now I dont have any burn/scan data because I did not make them, but I have no problems with [B]CMC E01[/B].

Not so much a fan of the [B]CMC M01[/B] I got some about a year back because of the price for ‘try outs’ …I doubt that I will get them again.

I have long heard that CMC Media was junk. When TDK made their own media it was very good. TDK was bought by Imation. The new discs say ‘Life On Record’. I have burned several DVD-r’s with one scoring a 99.20% quality rating, not bad for such maligned media. Burned with Liteon iHAP422, checked with DvdInfo Pro. I have never had a CMC disc fail to play, the quality varies of course but the new mid code is AM3. These seem to be very good so far.

[QUOTE=Redking1;2310280]I have long heard that CMC Media was junk. When TDK made their own media it was very good. TDK was bought by Imation. The new discs say ‘Life On Record’. I have burned several DVD-r’s with one scoring a 99.20% quality rating, not bad for such maligned media. Burned with Liteon iHAP422, checked with DvdInfo Pro. I have never had a CMC disc fail to play, the quality varies of course but the new mid code is AM3. These seem to be very good so far.[/QUOTE]

The AM3 does not have as bad of a reputation as its DVD+R cousin, M01. Needless to say, CMC isn’t “bad” per se; it’s more like “inconsistent.”

are CMC 16X DVD-R AM3 better for longetivity than Verbatim DVD-R MCC 03RG20 made in taiwan/india?

also what brand/s are grade A AM3’s?

This is non-trivial to test for.

I’ve only tested AE1 from CMC (Memorex) and they are in the worst third of all performers I tested (roughly 20 discs).

The test was done with two rounds of accelerated aging (humidity+temp) in a controlled environment. After second round, AE1 read error rates started to increase exponentially in all reading dvd units. AE1 discs were fairly tolerant to UVA+UVB exposure (tested separately).

In the same batch genuine single packed Verbatim branded MCC 03RG20 (Taiwan) performed measurably better, but still I would grade them as ‘avoid for intermediate to long archival’, esp. if your storage environment is demanding (think hot and humid, like Singapore).

I have no test experience with AM3s.