CMC Magnetics CD-Rs

vbimport

My CMC Magnetics CD-Rs, a 50-pack Staples spindle, and a 25-pack Memorex CD-R Music spindle, have not yet had ONE coaster.

Did I just happen to get a good batch of them? I’ve read (here and other places) that they are low-quality discs.

What are your inputs on my CMCs?

Welcome to the forum! :slight_smile:

I think unless you get an uber-crappy brand, CMC CDR media’s pretty good - I generally have no problems with them.

We currently have a bunch of CMC-made TDK CDRs in the car, which get slung about without cases when we change them over. They’re still working fine, although they may need a quick wipe now and then! :slight_smile:

As for CMC being low-quality - IMO, not at all. But brand does play a part.

CMC media is not necessarily bad, both CD and DVD.

The bad reputation probably stems from their cyanine CD-R that they ceased making almost 10 years ago, and the fact that much CMC media is being sold under lower quality brands (E-Net: Datawrite, Ridisc etc.; Aldi/Tevion).

But CMC media can be found under higher quality brands as well (Ricoh, Maxell, TDK). These are generally good. As media prices have gone down a lot I usually buy Taiyo Yuden (JVC) though.

As [I]Arachne[/I] & [I]kg_evilboy[/I] have already said, there is nothing inherently wrong with modern CMC CD-R. The dye seems to be stable enough & the construction sound. I can’t recall ever experiencing a failed write (coaster), and the discs I wrote 5-7 years ago are still perfectly readable & show no sign of oxidation around the edges.

But the quality of their discs varies a lot and is largely brand dependent. Certain brands earned a reputation for consistently selling poor quality ‘defective’ grade discs which failed inspection at the factory. The store own brands are probably a lottery, but TDK etc. [I]should [/I]be good discs. Avoid all defective-grade brands on principal (E-Net etc.).

Here is a recent scan of a CMC CD-R. A few years ago I received 600 Datasafe CMC CD-R in error (not the discs I ordered, refunded). Despite being an E-Net brand (:Z:Z) they have been consistently good & make great everyday/semi-disposible discs. But this isn’t the sort of quality we’re used to from E-Net and I would still recommend avoiding them completely - I guess the quality control department had an off day and accidentally let these slip through. ;):bigsmile:

The polycarbonate platter seems to be noticably thinner that other CD-R, presumably a cost-cutting measure (must get my micrometer out & measure them properly). The hub is thicker to maintain the correct laser to disc height. I wonder if CMC have a separate cheap disc line, or are they all like this now?

[OT]
I’ve still got a single unbranded CMC Magnetics cyanine CD-R with a gold reflective layer written 14-15 years ago, and so far it shows no signs of degredation. It is still readable & scans beautifully, if you ignore an E22 spike where a piece of the reflective layer flaked off (when the disc was new). The bonding of the reflective layer is rather poor and there appears to be no protective lacquer. But even where the dye is exposed to the air there is no visible degredation.

[QUOTE=Ibex;2629107]The polycarbonate platter seems to be noticably thinner that other CD-R, presumably a cost-cutting measure (must get my micrometer out & measure them properly). The hub is thicker to maintain the correct laser to disc height. I wonder if CMC have a separate cheap disc line, or are they all like this now?[/QUOTE]
Don’t know about CMC Magnetics’ CD-Rs, but their current “budget” (sold under B-grade brands like Ridisc, Memorex, K-Classic, etc.) DVDRs are much thinner then they used to be.
Also, MBIL’s low cost DVD-Rs are extremely thin and they are probably being made from lower grade polycarbonate and with thinner dye and reflective layers. They scan awfully.
Princo took this cost saving approach to the extreme with their"Princo 24x Slim DVD-Rs".:eek:

OK, this is good to know. These discs are probably out of spec, and Princo’s 24x DVD-Rs are not even supported at 20x by most drives.

But as media is so cheap nowadays, if I buy any new media at all it’s Taiyo Yuden or some Verbatim, so it doesn’t matter much.