CMC Mag seems to have improved these days?

I know there was once a time where CMC was considered crap. But I’ve noticed good results with Memorex CMC Mag discs. Here is one scan:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=47346

This was burned with BenQ 1640. I will try and post scans from the 5163D as well.

What do you folks think? I’m sure someone here must’ve got scores >94 as well. Does this make Memorex/CMC mag a good buy currently?

I’ve seen good scans on CMC discs, only to have them deteriorate after several years and be unreadable (typically around the outer edge). If it’s short-term backups you’re looking for, CMC should be fine. For archival use I wouldn’t trust them, though.

Just my 2 cents.

Oh, FWIW, these were older CMC discs. Current stuff may be better, but we can’t really know for sure at this point. I’d rather play it safe…

CMC has improved much over time. How it performs in reality incase of ageing is the question still accelerated ageing tests are positive and the fact that they use a very stable pigment gives me a little bit more faith as I had after the very crap cyanine cd-r disc’s they have made in the past.

i posty predominately on Afterdawn, and i am not exagerrating when i say that i have commented on 1000s of burning problems over this last year with CMC Mag as one of the main factors. yes there are ppl with downrev firmware etc etc, but the majority of problems are CMC Mag - i must see 20 CMC Mag tales of woe every single week without fail… :sad:

Yes, thats something I can verify over the time. However discs that are a year old and manufactured by a “reputed” brand like Memorex have lasted without degradation for me…only time will tell what happens further.

Wow those afterdawn guys really hate Memorex and CMC.

Never had a problem with CMC myself but then I have only been dealing with their discs for about 1 and a half years so missed out on all the older stuff.

we do indeed hate CMC. as i say i see so many problems caused by this ‘media’ on a daily basic and i analyse logfiles and nearly always, when all the tweaks have been made/suggestions followed, it’s CMC left standing there looking sheepish

I’ve used CMC DVD’s since the 4x media was common, never a problem when it’s used in a drive with proper firmware support, and all those old discs still work fine.

People just like to bash CMC because of their bad reputation with CDRs. There’s never been any consistant evidence of problems with CMC DVD’s, but there’s considerable evidence of poor firmware support.

Whether CMC has variable quality is open to debate, but I’ve never seen that here. I’ve probably burned about 500 of them, from 4x to 8x to 16x. Mostly Memorex and HP branded.

i don’t disagree with yours or anyone’s opinions/experience of CMC; i myself don’t bash unduly, i see them too often to not see a problem with them, that’s all… i won’t chance media anymore, it took me burning 500 of the same Bulkpaq for instance, before i actually had a problem with them. and now i can’t recopy or play most of them.

Bulkpaq isn’t exactly a great name for quality so it is hard to blame that on CMC. They have a tendancy to use discs that aren’t of the best quality so they can get the cheapest price on the market.

People who buy cheap, get cheap. Very little to do with whether they came from CMC, Ritek, Prodisc, etc.

I think we’ve seen the very worst of many media makers sold under the Bulkpaq brand. Amazing that they even still exist.

Here’s a question for ya: Do you suppose any maker has ever faked a CMC ADIP code? :eek:

Bulkpaq isn’t exactly a great name for quality so it is hard to blame that on CMC. They have a tendancy to use discs that aren’t of the best quality so they can get the cheapest price on the market.

People who buy cheap, get cheap. Very little to do with whether they came from CMC, Ritek, Prodisc, etc.

all of which i know. i mentioned Bulkpaq purely to illustrate that sticking with media just because it’s worked before does not mean it’s going to work. Hence why i spend most days veering ppl away from CMC. i always veer those very same ppl towards firmware updates but that still doesn’t make CMC work. One of the reasons why i cannot recommend CMC to ppl but the exact opposite ie recommend to stay away from it. I’m not here to argue with you all btw…

Hey creaky, chill :slight_smile:

What Ninja is trying to tell us is that better CMC brands like Memorex is something to benchmark against, not Bulkpack. I agree with his views. Bad dye will give bad results if the manufacting process is crappy. Its possible that in the days when CMC CDRs were considered bad, the brands manufacturing them were bad. Memorex sure does a great job with CMC DVDs and we can all see that with our results.

i wish i hadn’t mentioned Bulkpaq now :). that was done as an example - not comparison against CMC. i’m chilled and am purely saying that all i ever see are problems from CMC discs. i myself am inundated with error logs from ppl - predominately with CMC discs. i’m simply saying that in most of those cases, firmware, when highlighted as being downrev, still doesn’t get CMC working again, in the majority of said cases that i come across.

I’ve burned around 1000 CMC discs and they burn great for me, always have. This includes several hundred 2.4x discs and about 200 of them being burned at 8x on my NEC 2500. I’ve used CMC from HP, Memorex, Philips, Khypermedia, TDK, Imation, ESA, and others. I scan ALOT of my discs with PI/PO tests and transfer rate tests and I can honestly say that they have always been great discs for me regardless of brand on all of my burners - NEC 1300, NEC 2500, Benq 822, Benq 1640.

Discs playback find on standalones, PI/PO scans are great, discs have not deteriorated at all. I’ve read some crap burners can struggle with them, although it is often resolved with firmware upgrades. But it still amazes me that so many people bash CMC, they work incredibly well for me.

It’s also good to note that CMC is one of the largest (if not the largest) media seller in the world. More discs sold = more problem reports. For whatever reason, some drive makers (cough - LiteOn - cough) do not choose to offer adequate firmware support for CMC. Although a clever person with a strat-swap tool can get CMC to work extremely well in most any brand of drive.

Bottom line: CMC is completely adequate for every day use and non-critical stuff. Certainly more so than Prodisc and several others. Another way to look at it: CMC is a good media to separate the good burners from the not so good ones. :wink:

Mo’ money, mo’ problems as the kiddies say :p, as you say there are larger numbers of complaints by the sheer number of discs sold.

I also look at CMC somewhat like you do: if you have serious problems with CMC, I’d tend to blame it on a poor burner/firmware before the media itself. My reasoning behind this is that I have COUNTLESS CMC burns, they have always burned with excellent PI/PO numbers on my burners. Now compare CMC to a media like Longten or Yi Jhan, discs that CANNOT be burned with excellent PI/PO numbers, no matter WHAT burner you are using. Useable results, yes, but what would be considered ‘good’ results - no way. In other words, with a decent burner/firmware CMC is very good media. You can’t make crap like Longten or Yi Jhan media burn great no matter what you are burning them with, on the other hand.

If you are having problems with CMC, the CRAP in the equation is likely the burner/firmware, not the discs.

Bottom line: CMC is completely adequate for every day use and non-critical stuff. Certainly more so than Prodisc and several others. Another way to look at it: CMC is a good media to separate the good burners from the not so good ones.

Couldnt have said it better :slight_smile:

TYs are fine, they are very good, reliable blah blah. What next? What if TYs are not available? What if you had to make 50 copies of a home video for casual use? In that case Memorex CMC mags are the next thing I would look out for, especially sincethe next preferred “Reputed” brands like Verbatims are going in for Ritek, and I can confidently say that Riteks are definitely worse than CMC mag. I dont know what others think!

I would like to know if theres any user who has used Memorex CMC mags and has bad experiences. As DVD freaks, we should try and be practical than look at CMC mags with prejudice :wink:

The Verbatim Ritek thing has been blown out of proportion. It’s only in Europe and only for some of the 8x media packaging, because MKM has ceased 8x media production but there is still demand for it. All of the 16x media, DL media and RW media is still MCC/MKM, and all of the leftover 8x stuff in the US market as well.