CMC MAG F01 better than MCC01RG20?!

vbimport

Bought my NEC-2500A a few months ago and later upgraded the firmware to Herrie’s 1.07v2b4. The very first spindle of DVD+Rs I bought was a Memorex 4x pack that turned out to be CMC MAG F01. While the Nero CD-DVD read speed curves looked great, due to previous bad experiences with CMC CDRs, I was very nervous about archiving anything of value to these DVDs.

I picked up some Verbatim 4x Digital Movie DVD-Rs last week. These have media code MCC01RG20, so I was expecting to see great results. Burnt my first data backup disc at 4x in Nero last night. Unfortunately, the read curve is very disappointing. :confused:

Results were no better in DVDInfoPro:

I have some questions regarding my results:

[ol]
[li]Is there a firmware other than Herrie’s 1.07v2b4 that I should try? I would think the answer to this would be ‘No’.
[/li][li]If I use these DVD-Rs for data backup, would you advise that I not write more than 4.0GB to these discs? I did a Read Error Test in DVDInfo Pro and found no read errors, but still concerned about readability in the future. Unfortunately I don’t have a Lite-On drive so can’t check out PI/PO.
[/li][li]Does Nero write files/folders to disc in alphabetical order? I think it does, but I’m not certain. If so, I could pretty easily figure out what files were written over the 4GB mark & re-burn them to a new DVD-R.
[/li][/ol]
Thanks in advance for any help.

With cmc I have in the last dvd-r very bad result with kprobe and similar with many dvd writer (nec, pioneer, lg), I suggest the mbi rg20, very good.

I don’t understand your response. I’m getting great results with CMC. I’m getting bad results with MCC01RG20!

the cmc af01 are memorex very times, I have in the initial part of dvd very high pi/po errors, written with the writers I mentioned in the last post, I suggest if you take memorex to get the atip mbi rg20, it is very good, I have noticed that verbatim that are the mcc01rg20 with nec haven’t a good write quality.

CMC MAG AF01 are -R 4x while CMC MAG F01 are +R 4x. The -R produces high PI/PO to me also… but i haven’t never tested the CMC +R so I can’t say if it’s better -R CMC or +R CMC.

I have noticed that verbatim that are the mcc01rg20 with nec haven’t a good write quality.

I’m disappointed here. I have an average PI of 6 and average PO of 0.6 with MCC 01RG20 with NEC 2510 and stock 2.15 firmware… and these results comes from a LiteON reader that is know to produce higher PI/PO than a LiteON burner so I think the quality burn of the NEC and MCC is very good.

Thanks for explaining that. So you’re basically saying that all of my DVDs are bad! :eek:

I’m really surprised at this. I thought the NEC-2500A was supposed to be about the best quality writer available, and I’ve read in plenty of places that MCC discs are some of the best ones made.

Anybody care to address the list of questions in my original post?

You’d better grab yourself a reader and read your DVDs with it. NEC drive is known to be a very poor reader, and thus tests done with it are not much reliables.

Yes, you’re right. NEC is a poor reader but… a good quality media like Verbatim could be red without any kind of problems even with a poor reader such as NEC

MCC made in Taiwan are subcontracted by…CMC Mag.

CMC is producing Verbatim with MCC mediacode?! I have always known that CMC uses CMC MAG mediacode and makes media for Verbatim only for DataLife brand (not DataLifePlus).
So are Verbatim DLP “Made in India” subcontracted by Moser Baer India?!
Which are the Verbatim that really are made by Verbatim factory?

I have done some tests with mcc003 TW vs SG media and the quality is well to say the least shocking. I did a post of some burns on another forum I’m sorry i didnt do them on nec but they still show the difference in quality very well.

http://forums.speedlabs.org/index.php/topic,584.0

there is nec scan on this tread you can look at of mcc003 TW on 2510a

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=100576&page=2

uhmm, doesnt anyone see that he just burned data and not a video? Data is data and the quality is a moot point. Am I wrong here?

JAXXBOSS

quality can mean how well something is made , it does not have to have anything do with picture quality.

so when I say bad or poor or crap quality I mean the media it self the dye on the disk.

When I still had my 451S in my computer I Kprobed a few of the burns of CMC Mag F01’s I did with the NEC. They were all very good burns with very low PI/PO results and perfect playability. I also went through a pack of 50 Verbatim DataLife (MCC002 media code) without a single coaster and every single one was perfect in its playability. Actually, so far anything I’ve thrown at this NEC (outside of faults of computer crashes or whatever that made coasters for me…) was a perfect disc.

I’ve gone through MCC002 media, CMC Mag F01’s, RitekG04’s, RitekR03’s, RitekJPNR01’s, and ProdiscS02’s and thus far I’m really happy with the burn quality of the drive. Nowhere near as problematic as the Litey 451S was for me. :slight_smile:

cmc works fine in my experience. i am using herrie 107v2b4

looks good @ 6x
cmc af1 4x media burned @6x :

doesn’t like 8x much tho
cmc af1 4x media burned @8x:

averages really don’t matter. pi should not exceed 280 and po/pif should not exceed 4 (on kprobe 2.x)

as long as those 2 things are tru then the disc is burned to spec. there is no spec on averages only vanity…

May I ask what speed where they burned at? Weren’t they burned at 6x or 8x?

The original 2500a stock firmware allows 4x Verbatim -R’s to be burned at 8x, but they usually have problems.

I have used plenty 4x MCC -R’s, burned at 4x, and although I don’t have a Liteon to KProbe them, my reading curve (with the NEC DVD-RW, 1.07V2b4 herrie firmware) is the following one, almost perfect:

Max PI is 58 and max PO is 3 with KProbe 2.x (ECC set to 8/1 with 4x speed)

I start to believe that kprobe give bad result, some dvd writed with nec 2510a fw 2.15 (original) are very good by kprobe, but in my player panasonic had problems of bad reading.

Max PI is 58 and max PO is 3 with KProbe 2.x (ECC set to 8/1 with 4x speed)
nice burn

I start to believe that kprobe give bad result, some dvd writed with nec 2510a fw 2.15 (original) are very good by kprobe, but in my player panasonic had problems of bad reading.

try them in another player. panasonics suk are readers. my friend has an rv-32 that plays virtually nothing but a $20 apex will play everything the pana rejects