CMC debate?

Ok, CMC had a really bad rap for producing really bad media for a while. Now since they have been making discs for MCC and also TDK has anyone seen an improvement in the quality of their discs? I have just got a 50 pack of LG 8x DVD-R and found them to be CMC MAG. AE1. They appear to be very well made discs with no visible dye deffects and seem to be ok to burn.
I would have to think they are a better option than Ritek now. I know that CMC uses an AZO dye and as such are they less prone to data loss? Does this CMC MAG AE1 have a reputation for data loss or do they have burn issues with certain burners?
Does CMC deserve a better rep now than they did with their earlier discs?
Thx

When I first started reading here 3 years ago CMC was below average quality and burns. Since then they have become, I think, the largest manufacturer in the world and it is almost impossible to avoid their media in one form or another. I have come to terms with their CDRs and they seem OK. Their DVD media seem to burn OK in some drives and rather well in others. I have seen no problems with deterioration and it is way to early to determine lifespan.

My feeling is that they are smack in the middle, just slightly above average. If you have the right burner they can be a good deal. The problem is that Verbatim can be had for $30 per 100. If I am going to consider CMC, I want a good discount, somewhere near $24. I also want some assurance as to what the media code is [I]before[/I] I buy.

I was surprised to see that 16X MCC 004 was better when made by CMC. If this pattern continues they may replace Prodisc.

Ritek is no longer an option for any DVD media at any price.

You could check this… :wink:http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=179605

CMC gets bashed everyday, but the truth is that CMC media under reputable brands (TDK, HP, Verbatim…) is fair to very good. Not as good as premium media like TY or MCC, but far more reliable than most “cheap” discs out there, including Ritek MIDs.

From what I’ve read on this forum and others, most of the bad reputation comes from:

• questionable “el-cheapo” brands or unbranded discs, as CMC produces media of very different grades, from crap to good. So buying them unbranded or under a cheap brand often ends in crappy burns and coasters.
  • poor firmware support in many burners until recently. NEC drives for example always burned CMC with good results, though Pioneer burners didn’t until the 109 with firmware 1.08. Benq drives with SolidBurn burn “A-grade” CMC media with very good results. I’ve heard the LG drives do a pretty good job with these too.

As for stability, I have seen no complaints of fast degradation, only hundreds of complaints of failed or poor burns (for the reasons I mention above). No “time bombs” like Ritek (mainly -R) discs.

I burn lots of CMC MAG E01 discs (HP branded) in my 1650 and I’ve had no problem at all. I have no experience with AE1, sorry.

Personally i have lots of bad experience with CMC but then svp messed an order and got me CMC 4x+ media in stead of MCC 4x- and i’m pleased with their mistake. Really good stuff that i’ll stock next to my TDK02 discs. With current price and quality for MCC and TY i see no reason to switch to something that is so fw dependant and something that failed me bad on many occasions on different writers. I’m still sure they produce discs far above avg… … but why settle? :wink:

Typo. Firmware 1.[B]5[/B]8, sorry :o

All my experiences with CMC have been good… save for some CMC made Verbatim MCC03RG020 with speckles. :a

Ditto, my CMC experiences have all been good. Maybe I’m just lucky enough to own the right burners, with the right firmware!

:bigsmile:

Funny, i have same kind of writers and they were let down by some Memorex/CMC. I bought the discs specifically to give CMC a try and see if it was accidental with my earlier bad experiences. Must be the fw on the day then? Glad it’s not a problem with MCC & TY :wink:

I wouldn’t judge CMC as a whole by the crap that Memorex sells. Memorex isn’t exactly my idea of “A grade”.

Wow. I never used Memorex, but all the other CMC (HP, Imation, Philips, Infiniti to name but a few) seem to be fine with mine.

I’d agree with what [buck] said there. Yet another reason to stay far, far away from Memorex :bigsmile: :iagree:

Confirmation on SantaKlaus’ comment that CMCs do well on LG writers. For me here is a list of how the 8x versions burn on these two LG models :

GSA-4163B : CMC MAG AE1 (very good burn quality)
GSA-4167B : CMC MAG AE1/CMC MAG E01 (very good burn quality)

Note : where TY 8x/Verbatim 8x discs are considered to have “excellent” burn quality.

Also, I can back up the facts that the brand of CMC discs you use makes a big difference. As in QS97 to QS0 due to POFs (scanned on a BenQ) kind of difference. If you want to play safe, Imation seems to have decent quality CMC discs.

As for Memorex : the only good thing I can say about them is that they have been bought over by Imation. Imation is by no means a brand whose discs are of the best quality (they still just rebrand other manufacturers’ discs after all) but at least they seem to have some measure of quality control over the discs they sell.

I can confirm that CMC does well on the 4163B (CMC MAG. E01 {various brands} and CMC MAG. M01).

My Litey 1693S also seems to like the E01s.

I agree with the Imation thing, both the burners mentioned seem to play well with them.

MMMMMM… interesting, was looking for some cheaper discs for temp storage save wasting my ty’s, after reading this and skimming the other cmc thread maybe i will get some hp branded CMC MAG.AE1. No quick degrading ??

No idea on the AE1, karangguni’s your guy for that. :slight_smile:

But the Imation branded E01s I have, have lasted in excess of 2 years, as I mentioned in another thread. :slight_smile:

I have over 1k HP discs, a large number of them 2-3 years old, zero have deteriorated. Does that answer your question? :wink:

Hmm - seems i’ll have to give them another test then :wink:

IMHO that is one of the biggest keys. CMC vary in quality quite a bit from burner to burner (not to mention firmware revisions). There are some other variables but that one definitely seems to stand out. As mentioned above though, it is really hard to shell out money for CMC Mag and take a bit of a gamble when TY and MCC deals are going on all the time and aren’t much more expensive. Not saying you can’t find good CMC Mag deals, it’s just that most of the time they aren’t worth the small price differential between them and top quality media.

Agreed, but there is an exception, which is printable media. With these, the price difference is significant!

Actually that’s the reason why I often use CMC discs when I’m asked for printed discs. I can get them for about 2/3 of the price of MCC printables, and half the price of TY printables… when I’m asked to make a series of say 50 discs, it makes a difference in the final cost for the customer…

Agreed, but there is an exception, which is printable media. With these, the price difference is significant!

Actually that’s the reason why I often use CMC discs when I’m asked for printed discs. I can get them for about 2/3 of the price of MCC printables, and half the price of TY printables… when I’m asked to make a series of say 50 discs, it makes a difference in the final cost for the customer…p…

Really? Interesting. Here in NZ, while I haven’t compared the price of CMC to MCC/Verbatim, I’ve found that printable MCC/Verbatim media costs about the same as non printable although you need to buy more with the printable media. So I’m guessing the price differential for printable CMC cf Verbatim is about the same as non-printable CMC cf Verbatim (although I don’t know what the price differential is)

Same here - except for some Datawrite Titaniums - but since Datawrite is also known as Datash!te, I gave CMC the benefit of the doubt. My Memorex CMC Mag’s (first discs I ever burned) are holding up fantastically well.