CMC CD-R vs. 5 drives

Hi,

I just spent some of my precious :bigsmile: “Platinum” branded CMC CD-R (those in TY lookalike spindle) for another shootout.

The drives:

• Liteon SOHR-5239V 2$0D (USB connected; Myson Century USB-IDE-Adapter)
  • LG GSA-4163 A106
  • Benq DW 1650 BCDC
  • Samsung SH-W163A TS01 (SATA connected; Promise PDC 20579)
  • Liteon SHM-165P6S MS0P (USB connected; Cypress enclosure)

The test:
Disc creation test in Nero CD/DVD Speed 4.51.3, write speed was set to 40x. Any of those drives supports that speed with that media.
Discs were scanned with

• Nero CD/DVD speed 4.51.3 using the Benq DW 1650 DVDRW drive
    and
  • Kprobe 2.5.2 using the Liteon SOHR-5239V CDRW drive

Let’s go!

Michael

First one: Benq DW 1650 BCDC

Next: LG GSA-4163 A106
Did not manage to switch to 40x as it should…

Now the Liteys. Let’s continue with the SOHR-5239V 2$0D:

My other Liteon drive, SHM-165P6S MS0P (ex Sony DW-G120A)
I consider the first two Jitter spikes as artifacts.

And last, but not least, my SATA drive: Samsung SH-W163A TS01:

For those, who want to have a quick look for comparision, here’s the results table:

You forgot C2 max, total and avg. :wink:
I’m surprised that nowadays freshly burned discs from an actually mid-range manufacturer still can give C2s!

Hi,

There weren’t any in this test series:) The green lines in some of those Kprobe scans are something else, but I don’t know what.

I’m surprised that nowadays freshly burned discs from an actually mid-range manufacturer still can give C2s!
The manufacturers don’t care any more about CD-writing. The worst burner in my setup is the Liteon SHM-165P6S. They damaged CD-R support (at least for TY media) after Sony’s MY*3 firmware:(

Michael

Except (maybe) Plextor…

If you had not carried out typing or other tasks while checking BLER, some of those green lines may be signs of unreadable frames. Are they repeatable? If so and the disc is data CD, they may correlate with bad (unreadable) frames in the read test under ScanDisc.

This is already being discussed in mciahel’s other thread:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?p=1496779#post1496779

But my remarks are quite different from the replies given in the other thread.

[Off-topic]

Yes, but it’s wasteful to have two parallel discussions on the same subject with people not seeing input in the other discussion, and that is why I pointed you towards the discussion that was already happening, so that you could continue there (if you want) instead of starting a parallel discussion in the present thread. :slight_smile: