Clueless does Video-out (TV-out)

I searched, but have not found all the answers… Here’s what I want to do:

• Play an AVI file on my computer (I can do this already).
  • Display it on a TV (some 25 feet away).

I have a PIII-930 computer (Dell Optiplex GX200).
I’m NOT interested in gaming, and don’t need high-end video-card power for that.

[1] Do I need a video card at all, or can I connect directly to a TV?
[2] What is a SUFFICIENT card (prices seem to range from $40 to $200).
[3] Is it okay to use a 25ft cable?

1 Yes , a normalpersonal computer won’t boot without a video card in it
2 GeForce 2MX400 with Tv Out should be enough
3 Depends on the quality of the cable. Get extremely good quality cable and you still might have malfunctions. I’ve got a 10 metres cable with golden connectors (svideo cable) and still experienced distortions.

I connect my laptop (ATI Mobility Radeon 7500 - 1028X768@60Hz) to my TV using a SVIDEO cable (Use a Radioshack SVIDEO to RCA converter). The quality is fine for movies but there’s an awful flicker when playing 3d games (its like a white band running bottom to top) arrgh - havent found a way to get rid of it.

1. yes

2. For playing only AVI files, get the cheapest video card with TV Out (Even a TNT2 32 MB with TV Out would do :)) It would cost you around $30. Since you strongly said that you dont do gaming and stuff, this may be your choice. Check out ebay. You may get this card at a really cheap price.

3. I dont see why not.

1: You don’t always need one to boot but you definitely need one to hook up your computer to the telly
2: Radeon 9200SE should give you a good bang for the buck and probably a sharper picture than GF2MX.
3: Depends on cable quality just as Mr. Belvedere said.
//Danne

Originally posted by ExpertTech
[B]I connect my laptop (ATI Mobility Radeon 7500 - 1028X768@60Hz) to my TV using a SVIDEO cable (Use a Radioshack SVIDEO to RCA converter). The quality is fine for movies but there’s an awful flicker when playing 3d games (its like a white band running bottom to top) arrgh - havent found a way to get rid of it.

1. yes

2. For playing only AVI files, get the cheapest video card with TV Out (Even a TNT2 32 MB with TV Out would do :)) It would cost you around $30. Since you strongly said that you dont do gaming and stuff, this may be your choice. Check out ebay. You may get this card at a really cheap price.

3. I dont see why not. [/B]

I would not recommend the TNT 32 mb card , because it lacks some acceleration that you have when using a radeon or GeForce card.

I have a nice Intel 815 system here with tv out, but if i try to play divx movies via tv out , it stutters :slight_smile:

I would not recommend the TNT 32 mb card , because it lacks some acceleration that you have when using a radeon or GeForce card.

You can use a rotten and old S3 card without any issues, no card (excepts for Sigmas) accelerates MPEG-4.
//Danne

If you had any interest in importing video (stuff from a camcorder, old family video’s etc etc) you could always get a Radeon (any make will do if you don’t play games) All-in-Wonder series as well.

Get a true capture card instead
//Danne

I’m just saying. If he’s buying a video card anyway…

Originally posted by DiiZzY
You can use a rotten and old S3 card without any issues, no card (excepts for Sigmas) accelerates MPEG-4.
//Danne

True , but GeForce2 series do accelerate Video acceleration for DirectShow, MPEG-1, MPEG-2 and Indeo. TNT’s don’t.

I’m never a believer in super ultra cheap alternatives. I can see spending a little ammount of money ($50) but I wouldn’t bother with anything less.

Originally posted by Ssseth
If you had any interest in importing video (stuff from a camcorder, old family video’s etc etc) you could always get a Radeon (any make will do if you don’t play games) All-in-Wonder series as well.

Ssseth: Great idea.

[1] Do you mean for example this card for $89+:

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=659145/search=radeon%20All-in-Wonder/ut=40a1992209b0571d

[2] How do I know for sure it will capture from my VCR (built into a TV that is a few years old)?

All: Great thanks for your replies to my original post!

True , but GeForce2 series do accelerate Video acceleration for DirectShow, MPEG-1, MPEG-2 and Indeo. TNTs don’t. [/QUOTE]

TNTs apparently accelerates MPEG-1 and color space conversion (that’s what nVidia refers as DirectShow?). No MPEG-2 or Indeo (I doubt it’s even accelerated on a GF2) acceleration though.
…and TNT2s:

• Hardware YUV 4:2:2 and 4:2:0 color space conversion support
  • Multi-tap X and Y filtering
  • Support planar YUV12 (4:2:0) to/from packed (4:2:2) conversion for software MPEG acceleration
  • DVD sub-picture alpha blended compositing
  • Video acceleration for DirectShow, MPEG-2 and MPEG-1

For the record, my old CL5446 1Mb card from 96 also accelerates MPEG-1.
//Danne

Originally posted by DiiZzY
TNTs apparently accelerates MPEG-1 and color space conversion (that’s what nVidia refers as DirectShow?). No MPEG-2 or Indeo (I doubt it’s even accelerated on a GF2) acceleration though.

It’s all on nvidia’s whitepapers. But let’s not haggle about which card may be best and which isn’t. jonabsoul seems pretty content with his choiche of an ati all in wonder. That card will for sure have a nice tvout :slight_smile:

Originally posted by jonabsoul
[B]Ssseth: Great idea.

[1] Do you mean for example this card for $89+:

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=659145/search=radeon%20All-in-Wonder/ut=40a1992209b0571d

[2] How do I know for sure it will capture from my VCR (built into a TV that is a few years old)?

All: Great thanks for your replies to my original post! [/B]

Find more info on that card here. For your needs that’s probably a nice choice.
It’s a PCI card. If you have an AGP slot it’s preferable to use that. But if you don’t then a PCI card is your best (only) choice.