Closing the disc a default option?

vbimport

I’m burning my first disc with ImgBurn and can’t find the setting to keep the disc open so more data/music can be added later. Is open disc the default option in ImgBurn, or is there a setting I have to choose? And where may that be? (I’ve perused the ImgBurn forum and can’t find the answer to this simple Q.)

One more thing: can I do the burn in the background or should I shut down other programs while it’s working?

ImgBurn doesn’t support multi-session discs AFAIK, so it always closes the disc.

You can run other programs as long as they are not very disk intensive on the same disk your using to burn from in ImgBurn.

thnx. I’m suprised to hear that because you’d think a “multi-session” capability would be very handy when burning large capacity DVD discs. Isn’t this a standard option on most burning software? Why wouldn’t ImgBurn incl this function?

I’m going to take a mod’s advice and ask a slightly different Q in this thread instead of starting a new one. I burned a bunch of folders full of MP3 files to a DVD disc as a data disc (using Power2Go, not ImgBurn). And my DVD player recognizes and plays the first folder, but it doesn’t “see” (or play) the other folders.

Any idea why this is happening? Should I have burned the disc as a “music DVD”? And what is the difference? I thought MP3 files are data files “by definition”, as someone on this board opined.

[QUOTE=sc_1004;2147717]thnx. I’m suprised to hear that because you’d think a “multi-session” capability would be very handy when burning large capacity DVD discs. Isn’t this a standard option on most burning software? Why wouldn’t ImgBurn incl this function?[/QUOTE]
This has been asked of the developer lots and lots and lots of times, each with the same answer. No multi-session.

Regards

[QUOTE=sc_1004;2147717]thnx. I’m suprised to hear that because you’d think a “multi-session” capability would be very handy when burning large capacity DVD discs. Isn’t this a standard option on most burning software? Why wouldn’t ImgBurn incl this function?[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=sc_1004;2147767]I’m going to take a mod’s advice and ask a slightly different Q in this thread instead of starting a new one. I burned a bunch of folders full of MP3 files to a DVD disc as a data disc (using Power2Go, not ImgBurn). And my DVD player recognizes and plays the first folder, but it doesn’t “see” (or play) the other folders.

Any idea why this is happening? Should I have burned the disc as a “music DVD”? And what is the difference? I thought MP3 files are data files “by definition”, as someone on this board opined.[/QUOTE]Multisession on DVD discs is not recommended because it can be very unreliable. Apart from the sessions sometimes getting ‘lost’ over time, very few DVD players will go further down than the first folder, which is exactly what you have discovered. DVD discs are not just high capacity CDs; there are significant differences between the way data is stored.

If you must use multisession, then try on a DVD [B]+RW[/B] disc where - at the risk of over-simplifying things - all the sessions become progressively merged into the first.

Mutlisession hasn’t ever appealed to me.

I’ve never (well, in the last 15 years) wanted/had to use it and so I saw no reason to implement support for it within ImgBurn. (added complexity for no gain)

I prefer to use a more appropriate medium such as a USB pen and of course if it’s content that’s likely to be updated (but I still need it on an optical disc) then I’ll just keep overwriting a DVD+RW or whatever. My files are always my hard drive anyway so it’s no big deal to just rewrite a disc. I have an ipod for music so adding the odd mp3 to a disc is never an issue for me. I guess I’m lucky :slight_smile:

ImgBurn will no doubt get multisession support once ‘Build’ mode gets redesigned and is better suited to such tasks. At the moment it’s simple/basic by design and is meant for burning a complete disc from an existing disc structure.

[QUOTE=sc_1004;2147767]I’m going to take a mod’s advice and ask a slightly different Q in this thread instead of starting a new one. I burned a bunch of folders full of MP3 files to a DVD disc as a data disc (using Power2Go, not ImgBurn). And my DVD player recognizes and plays the first folder, but it doesn’t “see” (or play) the other folders.

Any idea why this is happening? Should I have burned the disc as a “music DVD”? And what is the difference? I thought MP3 files are data files “by definition”, as someone on this board opined.[/QUOTE]

Have you ever tried the trial version of audio-dvd-creator as suggested?

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f57/burning-wav-files-dvds-254487/

[QUOTE=jeff53404;2147895]Have you ever tried the trial version of audio-dvd-creator as suggested?

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f57/burning-wav-files-dvds-254487/[/QUOTE]

Yes, but when I tried to install it Windows told me a driver certificate had not been validated by a recognized source and suggested I abort the installation. Plus, the software doesn’t support Vista, though I can get around that by running it in XP compatability mode. I may still try it as I have many jazz and classical CDs I want to archive using an uncompressed format.

From what I gather, all Audio DVD does is create super slimmed down video files that have audio tracks in the WAV/PCM format. A good video authoring program should be able to do this. In fact, I read in some mag that Roxio Easy DVD will do the same thing Audio DVD does. I will prob test the trial version.

In my quest to create audio DVDs, I’ve been surprised that more people either haven’t already done this or want to do it. With 4 and 8GB DVD media, there is no need to compress perfectly good CD audio music. The whole advantage of MP3 is that it’s faster to DOWNLOAD. But if you already have audio CDs (as many people still do), then downloading isn’t even an issue.

Why sacrifice music quality when you don’t have to?

Burning audio DVDs (that play in any DVD player) should be as simple as burning audio CDs. I hope developers come around to seeing this.

I noticed that Power2Go doesn’t seem to support muitisessions when writing audio discs. Is this also the case for Nero, Roxio and other popular burning software? Or can I expect more functionality in these programs?

Yes, but when I tried to install it Windows told me a driver certificate had not been validated by a recognized source and suggested I abort the installation.

That’s quite common as a number of companies do not want to pay Microsoft the royalty/fee for their certificate. I always ignore that warning.

[QUOTE=imkidd57;2147868]Multisession on DVD discs is not recommended because it can be very unreliable. Apart from the sessions sometimes getting ‘lost’ over time, very few DVD players will go further down than the first folder, which is exactly what you have discovered. DVD discs are not just high capacity CDs; there are significant differences between the way data is stored.[/QUOTE]

OK, but by the same token, DVD players are not just bigger CD players. I burned these folders one after the other so I don’t think they got “lost over time”. So what exactly was so “unreliable” about my burning methodology that my DVD player refuses to read the disc?

Why are DVD players not more like PCs where you can download codecs to expand their functionality? As it is, they’re these incredibly stupid machines that can only do the same (very few) things their entire lives. Why not design machines that are more flexible? That have ports you can stick program cards into to change their functionality, or connect to PCs so you can download software?

In this day and age, why are manufacturers still designing DUMB machines? It doesn’t make sense.

[QUOTE=jeff53404;2147961]That’s quite common as a number of companies do not want to pay Microsoft the royalty/fee for their certificate. I always ignore that warning.[/QUOTE]

I just got this computer and have been downloading some software and hadn’t seen that warning before, so I decided better safe than sorry.

[quote=sc_1004;2147966]OK, but by the same token, DVD players are not just bigger CD players.[/quote] Agreed, but it seems as though you are expecting them to be so. A “DVD player” is actually a “DVD-Video player”, and any other functionality - for example to play audio files - is an add-on extra. Some DVD-Video players have mp3 playback deliberately prevented for copyright protection reasons.

[quote=sc_1004;2147966]I burned these folders one after the other so I don’t think they got “lost over time”. So what exactly was so “unreliable” about my burning methodology that my DVD player refuses to read the disc?[/quote]Your DVD-Video player’s firmware is not designed to use multisessions on DVD. As I said, if it’s very important to you then try DVD +RW discs.

It’s not your ‘burning methodology’ that’s unreliable, just DVD multisession in general. Over time - i.e.months/years - you may find some of the sessions become undetectable even in a PC drive.

[quote=sc_1004;2147966]Why are DVD players not more like PCs where you can download codecs to expand their functionality? As it is, they’re these incredibly stupid machines that can only do the same (very few) things their entire lives. Why not design machines that are more flexible? That have ports you can stick program cards into to change their functionality, or connect to PCs so you can download software?[/quote]Some PVRs such as the Topfield 5800 have programmable and uploadable applications that markedly increase the functionality of the basic firmware. They don’t play DVDs though.

[QUOTE=imkidd57;2148020]Agreed, but it seems as though you are expecting them to be so. A “DVD player” is actually a “DVD-Video player”, and any other functionality - for example to play audio files - is an add-on extra. Some DVD-Video players have mp3 playback deliberately prevented for copyright protection reasons.

Your DVD-Video player’s firmware is not designed to use multisessions on DVD. [/quote]

And that was my point. When PCs didn’t come with DVD drives it made sense not to include any functionality in DVD players. But now that DVD drives are de rigeur on PCs, and people can create their own DVDs in any number of different formats, it doesn’t make sense to make DVD players designed only, or even mainly, to play DVD videos.

DVD players should have WAY MORE functionality built right in. Enough to match the demands of today’s users.

It’s not your ‘burning methodology’ that’s unreliable, just DVD multisession in general. Over time - i.e.months/years - you may find some of the sessions become undetectable even in a PC drive.

Really? Why does that happen? How do the little bits on the disc actually change so that the discs become unreadable?

DVD players should have WAY MORE functionality built right in. Enough to match the demands of today’s users.
Yea well they often don’t.

Let’s have some specifics from you:

[ol]
[li]What format discs are you using?[/li][li]For the third time: why don’t you try +RW?[/li][li]Why don’t you fill up a folder on your HDD and burn all in one go (as said by LUK!; who you don’t even have the courtesy to acknowledge)?[/li][/ol]

[QUOTE=imkidd57;2148118]Yea well they often don’t.[/QUOTE]

It’s more like they never do.

[QUOTE=imkidd57;2148118]Let’s have some specifics from you:

[ol]
[li]What format discs are you using?
[/li][li]For the third time: why don’t you try +RW?
[/li][li]Why don’t you fill up a folder on your HDD and burn all in one go (as said by LUK!; who you don’t even have the courtesy to acknowledge)?
[/li][/ol][/QUOTE]

Is it a forum rule that I have to acknowledge everyone who adds to a thread I start? I don’t even think he was addressing me directly. I think he was addressing blutach who wrote that many people have already raised this issue before, with no effect.

I’m using DVD+R 4.7GB discs. And I just finished burning all my files at one go and all the files are there and appear to be OK. And they play in my DVD ply, all except for the last few files in the second last folder and the last folder itself. Those the player just doesn’t see/won’t play. Size of all files is about 4.3 GB and the burner says I’ve got about 300MB space left. But Windows says the disc is full. Strange.

Any idea why the files at the end aren’t being played? They’re definite there (the PC plays them).

Perhaps there’s a limit on the number of files that your DVD player can read; it should be in the manual somewhere. Without knowing the file/folder structure on the single session +R disc it’s difficult to offer any more suggestions.

BTW it is not a rule that you acknowledge everyone who contributes to the thread, but since you are seeking advice from people it is considered courteous. And if the author of the software in question replies then I would say it is especially so.

I have 12 folders, no subfolders. The player can read the first 11 except for the last few files in the 11th. It can’t read the 12th folder.

Funny thing is my PC says the disc is full, but the burner software says there are still 300MB of space, something easily confirmed by looking at the disc.

BTW it is not a rule that you acknowledge everyone who contributes to the thread, but since you are seeking advice from people it is considered courteous. And if the author of the software in question replies then I would say it is especially so.

Like I said, I didn’t think he was talking to me directly, plus, he basically said “I don’t share your concern”. So when someone says he thinks you’re wrong I think it IS the “courteous” thing to say nothing at all.