Clony, ASPI and Windows XP

vbimport

when backing up my CDs I use clony XL and cloneCD
Clony reads the disc and sets up the settings on clone CD automatically.
All worked fine on Win ME but when I installed WinXP the clony prog will not run. I checked on the clone CD site which recommended that I d/l a file called force ASPI. This has not worked either. Any help would be greatfully accepted as I dont know which setings to use on Clone CD. THese were peviously set up for me by clony

What version of ASPI are you running. I read that 4.60 is most portable.

Did you make sure that the aspi drivers were installed and functioning correctly? this is done using the aspi check which is included in the force aspi package. also after installing the aspi drivers the machine has to be rebooted before they become functional.

thanks for your comments. As I am a complete rookie when talking about ASPI can someone please advise how to check my ASPI layers and change to a version that is compatible with WIN XP and will make clony work again?
Now that clony is not working I am not confident in using Clone CD to back up protected CDs. THere are so manysettings in there. How do you know which settings to use as Clone CD does not read the protection on the CD.
Are there any general settings that work in mose cases?

Originally posted by ruxton28
Are there any general settings that work in mose cases?

Yes, the default Game CD profile works in most cases. Read the CloneCD Faq.

no need to check them because xp doesn’t have aspi installed. you need to get force aspi which can be found on GOOGLE then install aspi as per the instructions then reboot and all will be well;)

From philamber’s comment I followed the link to clone cd FAQ and found this

“I’m new to CloneCD. Do I need to use a protection scanner and custom profiles to copy games?”
Answer; Generally, no. Just use the default Game CD profile which Olli has provided in the program. Olli has done the work for you and the Game CD profile will work in well over 95% of cases where your writer is capable of copying the CD at all. It is only in the rare case where the GameCD profile fails that you will need to use a protection scanner and a custom profile

I cant find this default game profile in the programme interface. Can I assume then that when you first create the image file that Clone CD recognises the protection and sets up a typical default set of settings which work in most cases?
In the case of copy protection on other software other than games is there a default profile in clone CD for that too?
If that is the case then there is no need fo rme to worry about clony not working?

Re slayer kings comments about XP not having ASPI layers I searched on google and used force ASPI. In the files that downloaded there wasnt one for XP so I used the Win2000 one.
Clony still doesnt work?
Have i boobed here and if so how can I remove ASPI?

Is there a specific site that I can get ASPI layers for XP or are they all the same?
It mentioned Adaptec on the site. I presume you dont have to have any adaptec software on the PC for this to work?

Re slayer kings comments about XP not having ASPI layers I searched on google and used force ASPI. In the files that downloaded there wasnt one for XP so I used the Win2000 one.
Clony still doesnt work?
Have i boobed here and if so how can I remove ASPI?

Is there a specific site that I can get ASPI layers for XP or are they all the same?
It mentioned Adaptec on the site. I presume you dont have to have any adaptec software on the PC for this to work?

use the win95/98 one not the w2k one.
to remove aspi use the batch files in the force aspi folder its called something like dump aspi.bat then use killdump.bat. Reboot then d/l force aspi then go start>run>find install aspi.bat press ok then in the run box type xp32 it should look like this “c:/wherever aspi is/installaspi.bat” xp32

the profile should be called “game cd”

you replied;
use the win95/98 one not the w2k one.
to remove aspi use the batch files in the force aspi folder its called something like dump aspi.bat then use killdump.bat. Reboot then d/l force aspi then go start>run>find install aspi.bat press ok then in the run box type xp32 it should look like this “c:/wherever aspi is/installaspi.bat” xp32
the profile should be called “game cd”

sorry for being thick but I am a bit unsure here. Is this OK?

1. d/f force ASPI
  2. open zip file and find a file called dump aspi.bat and double click on it to activate
  3. find file called killdump.bat and double click on it to activate
    4)reboot
    5)go to start then run and type in “find install aspi.bat” in the run box? OR should I be doing a file /find and search for ASPI.bat then in the run box type c:/wherever aspi is/installaspi.bat/xp32
    where all he part before the /xp32 is the file path found in the search?

Where is the profile called “game CD” in clone?
Do I find it hidden in clone in the burn from image area?

5)go to start then run and type in “find install aspi.bat” in the run box? OR should I be doing a file /find and search for ASPI.bat then in the run box type c:/wherever aspi is/installaspi.bat/xp32
where all he part before the /xp32 is the file path found in the search?

yes go to start>run then browse to installaspi.bat click ok then add the xp32 bit on the end.
What version of clone cd are you using?

You shouldn’t install any ASPI file layer unless it is essential: like actually having an Adaptec SCSI card :slight_smile:

V-4.7x has proven to be unstable in many WinXP boxes and is not compatible with burnatonce (if you like it).

V-4.6x is good enough for non-Adaptec uses, but really, a good burning program does not require this proprietary interface.

If you stay in touch with a forum like this one, you can learn to recognise SafeDisc, SecuROM or whatever and make the appropriate settings.

The FAQ has links to a few ASPI articles which are worth reading.

You can download Force ASPI from these links:

For WinXP Only

For Win2K Only

For Win9X Only

These one’s have always worked for me in conjunction with ClonyXXL.

ForceASPI will force just 4.60 - a sort of ‘backflash’ if you like as well as installing it for the first time. This version generally suits everything and is required for burnatonce and DiscDump. Besides Clony, nothing else mainstream needs it.

Adaptec downloads of ASPI from 4.60 are now free - links are here.