Cloning Software

vbimport

Ok, what is everyone using sucessfully.

I’ve previously used Norton’s Ghost and Acronis True Image, but I have an issue at the moment…

I have a Notebook computer with Windows7 and I’m trying to migrate to a larger HDD,

And while I’ve sucessfully used EasyGig2 to copy from the onboard HDD to a USB connected HDD (Eagle tech enclosure with the destination drive installed in it) with Vista it won’t copy Windows 7.

the application crashes, I believe the issue is that small partition Win7 creates at the front of the drive, but…

Acronis and Norton simply don’t see the USB drive, and while EZ-GIG does I get to the point where I get a button to re-boot to proceed (the other choice is “cancel”) and it reboots… and the application fails to do anything.

I have four systems I need to migrate to larger HDD’s and this is seriously tripping me up.

I’m fairly new to win7, so…

AD

For what I know Acronis should be able to use the USB connected HDD.

Acronis has an option to migrate the system to another HDD, and I already used it some time ago, but I can’t remember if I connected the new HDD to USB or if I installed the dive internally :frowning:

Maybe you can try to boot from the acronis CD instead of running migration from windows.

Allan , I don’t have Windows 7 yet .
I know you are experenced but have you set the USB drive as the first in the boot sequence in the BIOS & then see if Acronis will recognize it ?
I have an external USB HDD I set up to do my Restore backups .I set it up to work like the .pdf I am posting a link to. With the USB set first in the BIOS it boots strait to Acronis & the I select the backup I want.
It might work the same for cloning.
http://www.themudcrab.com/downloads/acronis_bootable_usb_hd.pdf

Not sure how allen does the imaging but I have W7 and use a USB drive as to create the image to and back with Acronis 2011 without anyproblem. Even when I create the program on a smaller laptop HDD to USB HDD image and then back to a larger HDD it just takes windows to recognize the new larger drive and to indicate 500G HDD instead of the 160G HDD in the original drive. I don’t think Acronis or Ghost read the EasyGig2 format maybe that is why they won’t access the image file. I would say use Acronics to image your original laptop HDD to the usb HDD and then use Acronics to reimage back to the new HDD and windows 7 should recognize the new larger HDD. But How I did this was in Acronics create a bootable Acronics CD that all I have to run is from the cd drive itself to do the process not from the O/S. I use the F12 keys to boot from the cd/dvd drive and run Acronis from there itself to do the image to and from the USB HDD where the image is kept. This is what I found to be the best without having to be in windows to do it. Cause Acronis has it own interface and that to me is way easier to work with just one setup and not worry about Windows as well.

@ coolcolors , The small Acronis boot partition I created on my external HDD does the same as the bootable Acronis CD . It runs outside of Windows.

EZGig’s instructions , printed right on the damned disc, say it can either copy after
being installed on the HDD or booting from the ROM disc.

Obviously if I’m booting from the optical drive I’m not going to be setting the USB drive first in the boot order.

I’'ve run EZ-Gig from the desktop too and it still fails

And it doesn’t seem to matter which drive is internal and which is in the USB enclosure
I have swapped them and tried again, ANNOYINGLY the results are the same.

I HAVE used this exact software off this same physical ROM disc to migrate a Vista Buisness
install from a 320 to a 500gb drive on an identical Dell notebook.
It worked flawlessly.

EZ-Gig looks like it is made by the same people as Acronis as a sort of "Acronis-lite"
the icons and grafix are all the same.

In this case I’m trying to go from one identical drive to another.

the process aborts before it starts, so it’s not like I’m waiting an hour to find out I have a worthless clone.

The issue is I installed my Win7 on a “bench” drive that soesn’t actually belong to me And I’m trying to migrate back to a drive (which had a vista install I didn’t want to destroy until I KNEW the Win7 install was working)

I’d also like once I’ve created a clone that works to create another clone (just the OS partitions)
on a smaller drive as a quick swap backup,

the Data Partitions on the drive I can simply copy back and forth without issue, it’s the OS partition
(and that un lettered partition that win7 creates) that are at issue.

My version of Norton doesn’t seem to work on vista because all my vista Installs have a paging file
in the system partition that norton doens’t copy, so I get all the files but the result is a copy that is non-fnctional (won’t boot)

AD

Allan , I’m not sure this will help you & it only works on an internal HDD. It can change the partiton type . I used it to unhide the hidden restore partition. It might help identify the un lettered partition.

http://www.goodells.net/multiboot/tools.htm

PowerQuest ptedit.exe
I haven’t tested running from outside Windows.
I don’t know if you have one but I have a disc that will let me use a command prompt outside of Windows.
I may try to test this .

You could also use the freeware PING. It has also been tested with Windows 7 32bit.

Strange that nobody mentioned Clonezilla
Or even better Parted Magic :slight_smile:

@Mr. B: PING looks nice :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=cholla;2575386]Allan , I’m not sure this will help you & it only works on an internal HDD. It can change the partiton type . I used it to unhide the hidden restore partition. It might help identify the un lettered partition.

http://www.goodells.net/multiboot/tools.htm

PowerQuest ptedit.exe
I haven’t tested running from outside Windows.
I don’t know if you have one but I have a disc that will let me use a command prompt outside of Windows.
I may try to test this .[/QUOTE]

There’s a bunch of things on that Goodells page which isn’t exactly revealing.

FOR EVERYONE ELSE:

If you don’t have or have not sucessfully cloned a win7 install…
Please spare me from the misleading false solutions!

For reference those of you that HAVE windows7 go to disc management in your own computer and LOOK at your own C drive

What exactly that partition is or is for is utterly irrelevant to me, what does matter is that it get copied along with the rest of the drive. also needed is to copy the included “paging file” and “Crash Dump” in the C: partition.

a non-functioning clone isn’t a clone it’s wasted time!

[QUOTE=mciahel;2575406]Strange that nobody mentioned Clonezilla
Or even better Parted Magic :slight_smile:

@Mr. B: PING looks nice :)[/QUOTE]

Parted Magic looks nice, works fast… and just produced an incomplete and non-functioning “NON-Clone”.

to me a "clone is indistinguishable from the original in EVERY respect.

the “clone” produced is NOT recognized as “an accessable boot device”.
when inserted into my notebook. if I can’t boot from it… well that kinda says it all.

Don’t know what I might have done wrong, but I got that “System reserved space” partition and the partition copied 11min for 17gb via usb is quick enough, but thend result is… well useless.

As for PING? I can’t tell it seems I have a link to an instruction sheet for it not to the download
or where I could buy it…

Through the haze of my epic (and growing migrane" I’m obviously missing something.

I am defying one of the cardinal rules of IT, if I’m actually “working” I obviously screwed up smewhere.

And I’m beginning to think it was taking a sip of the Windows7 KoolAid
and right now I wanna pound someone senseless with the pitcher it was poured from…

Time for more Aspirin, this time I’m going to wash it down with something stronger with water before I kill something.

Simple problem with a simple solution… NOT!

I’m thinking I need to buy the 2011 issue of acronis but I want to KNOW it’ll let me clone notebook drives with just the notebook and a USB HDD

AD

I have Acronis TrueImage 11 on Windows XP which is working great for imaging and for “Try & Decide”.

I have Acronis TrueImage 2010 on Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, which I’ve had serious problems with - almost to the point of dumping it altogether. I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone, even if you get it for free. The reason I’m still using it is, that I don’t want the hassle of uninstalling it, which apparently is a tedious manual process.

I haven’t tried Acronis TrueImage 2011, but for imaging I’d suggest trying something else first such as e.g. Macrium Reflect (Free Edition).

I’ve successfully used CloneZilla to image and restore my system drive on Windows 7 Pro, but I haven’t tried cloning onto another drive.

I don’t know if you consider any of this helpful, but there it is.

After fighting this issue and going around and around with all the things that worked in the past (and obviously don’t work now)

I have an absolute unequivocal answer: Clonezilla

Clonezilla produced a working booting copy on the very first attempt.

I didn’t try it first because the web page for them flatly refused to load the first twenty or so tries,
and then refused to show me the download box…

but I kept trying… I’m glad I kept trying

Like someone else said when I beat another problem getting Cloned XP HDD’s to work (you had to manually mark the partition as “active”)
I guess I own this problem now…

So for all those that haven’t adopted Win7 yet but are planning on it…

WHEN you need to clone a Win7 Operating system drive, the answer that works is Clonezilla.

mciahel I owe you a 5th of whatever it is you drink!

AD

[QUOTE=AllanDeGroot;2575437]

So for all those that haven’t adopted Win7 yet but are planning on it…

WHEN you need to clone a Win7 Operating system drive, the answer that works is Clonezilla.

mciahel I owe you a 5th of whatever it is you drink!

AD[/QUOTE]

Sorry but for me it’s Acronis has worked after replacing Ghost…I used Acronis and never had problem cloning or reimaging a smaller HDD image to larger drive and w7 recognizing the new larger size drive. I used Acronis for the last 2 years continuous and it hasn’t failed me.

coolcolors,

if Clonezilla hadn’t worked I was about ready to pay for Acronis.

Clonezilla doesn’t have the pretty user “windows like” user interface
that Parted Magic does, but it got the job done with a minimum of user input.

Frankly I HATE software that asks a bunch of questions that nobody knows the answer to…

BTW, Parted Magic isn’t a complete waste of effort, it finally offers me a
tool that will remove those annoying factory restore partitions.

I had a Toshiba 200gb notebook drive that had factory Acer partitions at both ends of the volume that I couldn’t even get rid of with a windows install disc (which usually works on the different Dell partitions)

Parted magic made those unkillable partitions nothing more than a memory,
and I now have another 200gb USB drive that cost me nothing more than the
Eagle Tech enclosure.

AD

Glad you got it sorted :slight_smile:

Michael

[QUOTE=AllanDeGroot;2575447]coolcolors,

if Clonezilla hadn’t worked I was about ready to pay for Acronis.

Clonezilla doesn’t have the pretty user “windows like” user interface
that Parted Magic does, but it got the job done with a minimum of user input.

Frankly I HATE software that asks a bunch of questions that nobody knows the answer to…

BTW, Parted Magic isn’t a complete waste of effort, it finally offers me a
tool that will remove those annoying factory restore partitions.

I had a Toshiba 200gb notebook drive that had factory Acer partitions at both ends of the volume that I couldn’t even get rid of with a windows install disc (which usually works on the different Dell partitions)

Parted magic made those unkillable partitions nothing more than a memory,
and I now have another 200gb USB drive that cost me nothing more than the
Eagle Tech enclosure.

AD[/QUOTE]

hmm…I have two nephews that have Toshiba notebook and I successfully used Acronis to create backup image of their HDD to a USB HDD and back without no problems. And yes you get what you pay for and I don’t recall Acronis costing that much as well. As for partition magic I used it once and it was disastrous in loosing HDD partitions and data in those partitions so I dump the program then and there. I used Acronis since on 3 Dells imaging their HDD to the USB HDD without program as well and back. I don’t think Acronis ask questions one doesn’t know already. So one would just use the program to their liking in the end.

Allan , Glad Clonzilla worked for you. I plan to download a copy of it .

The Gooddells link was for a download of PowerQuest ptedit.exe . Actually ptedit32.exe
I used this to change the type of the factory restore partition so I could remove it.
If you select “Set Type” it will show several partition types you can change to.
It also lists the types already on the hard drive.
Unfortunately it only works for an internal drive or it doesn’t detect USB hard drives.

I haven’t used it but it looks like Parted Magic is able to remove the factory restore partitions easier. According to your post . So I will look into it to even if I don’t need it right now.

@ coolcolors . partedmagic & partitionmagic are two different softwares.

Seagate Discwizard is a free download and is basically a limited version of Acronis. I’ve used it to successfully create and restore images on a number of desktops and laptops for Win98, Win2k ans WinXP, and it imaged hidden partitions where they existed. I used the BartPE plugin to create BartPE CD to boot to on any CD or DVD drive and created images on external USB drives. BTW Discwizard is designed to work only if there’s a Seagate or Maxtor drive in the system, but there’s a workaround to use it with any hard drive brand at http://forums.seagate.com/t5/DiscWizard-and-MaxBlast/Using-DiscWizard-MaxBlast-to-back-up-non-Seagate-internal-hard/m-p/25406 if anyone’s interested.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2575505]hmm…I have two nephews that have Toshiba notebook and I successfully used Acronis to create backup image of their HDD to a USB HDD and back without no problems. And yes you get what you pay for and I don’t recall Acronis costing that much as well. As for partition magic I used it once and it was disastrous in loosing HDD partitions and data in those partitions so I dump the program then and there. I used Acronis since on 3 Dells imaging their HDD to the USB HDD without program as well and back. I don’t think Acronis ask questions one doesn’t know already. So one would just use the program to their liking in the end.[/QUOTE]

As Coolcolors lso comments “Partition Magic” and “Parted Magic” are two entirely differnet programs.

Parted magic is nearly it’s own very limited (Linux based) “windows”

Personally I couldn’t figuire out in the limited time I played with it to clone an entire drive, getting it to clone individual partitions, even those “special” partitions was EASY.

I’ll keep playing with it because it is the only tool I’ve ever found that will remove those pesky ACER “OEM” (Recovery/restore) partitions

The issue with Acronis is you need a version that was made AFTER Vista was released or it’s only good for XP cloning

[QUOTE=cholla;2575506]Allan , Glad Clonzilla worked for you. I plan to download a copy of it .

The Gooddells link was for a download of PowerQuest ptedit.exe . Actually ptedit32.exe
I used this to change the type of the factory restore partition so I could remove it.
If you select “Set Type” it will show several partition types you can change to.
It also lists the types already on the hard drive.
Unfortunately it only works for an internal drive or it doesn’t detect USB hard drives.

I haven’t used it but it looks like Parted Magic is able to remove the factory restore partitions easier. According to your post . So I will look into it to even if I don’t need it right now.

@ coolcolors . partedmagic & partitionmagic are two different softwares.[/QUOTE]

well Clonezilla let me clone from the internal laptop drive to an external USB drive, and I then swapped the drives…

Since it worked on my notebook I’m sure it’ll work on others and a desktop should be no trouble at all.

And I was about to start using a disused HP dc7800 C2D machine as a dedicated cloning station…

bedevills, I’ll look into Seagate Discwizard

I currently have two seagate drives in my desktop system
Both are 160gb IDE’s, but… One of my portables is a seagate a “pull” from an HP notebook I just upgraded to a 320…

Anyone ever notice that you can tell the IT guys (Amateurs and pro’s) by how many empty drive enclosures they buy?

AD

I too had numerous problems cloning a HDD using various softwares. After much searching I read that they have problems when you are using a usb hdd… What does work every time, is making sure that both drives are in the system and using the cd to boot and do the copy. Kinda hard to do that in a laptop… :slight_smile: