Cloning NVMe

Hi, hope someone can shed some light on this, just upgraded my MB to an ASUS B550-Plus, transferred my SSD from my old ASUS MB all worked fine no problems, decided to get a Samsung NVMe, cloned it with Acronis no problem, put the new drive in the MB and it would not load up, went through the stop start until it reached the safe boot option, safe booted with networking and then restarted and all working fine?? Next if I try to clone to the NVMe with some software on it, it refuses telling me the signatures are the same, the only way I can clone to the NVMe is to delete all partitions and treat it like a new drive, its not a big issue but annoying, any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

Dump Acronis, IMO.
Use Macrium Reflect free edition instead.

1 Like

Hi Dee, thanks for that, just done that and it worked, but I still have to go through the safe mode, I go in to safe mode and re boot and all is ok ? just wondering why and is that normal.

Windows 10 right? Did the old system only have C: or system files (like paging disk) on another partition?

If you don’t go into safe mode, what happens? BSOD? Hang?

Is the NVMe the only drive in the new system?

Have you confirmed the BCD is correctly set up?

Do you have to go into safe mode every time you reboot. Or was it just the first time after cloning?
If it was just the first time after cloning then perhaps the backup you restored from was a SATA SSD which may have not had an NVMe driver installed.
If this the case then once you have the NVMe drive setup the way you want it do a new backup using Macrium Reflect.

Also, You will have to erase the old drive, as you can’t have two Windows installs on the same machine without having problems. But, before erasing the old drive. You must first create a Macrium Reflect Rescue media from the option in Macrium Reflect application.
You will need a USB pendrive of at least 1GB to make the rescue media formatted as FAT32.
First insert the USB pendrive, then click the option to make the rescue media. Just follow the prompts. But also making sure you make sure you click on the UEFI option.

I would also like to see the layout of your system drive (new NVMe drive).

Right Click on the Start menu. then select Disk Management.
Now take a screenshot and post it here.
It should look similar to the one below minus the unallocated space which is my over-provisioning solution.

thanks all, firstly I have no idea what BSOD or BCD is, as to the safe mode, this only happens when I insert the cloned drive the first time after cloning, just cloned an NVMe to another NVMe and does the same, but only for the initial install, this has now happened on two ASUS MB which I updated from another ASUS MB and SSD drives, but also on a HP laptop which already had NVMe drives, same result using Macrium and Acronis, sorry its on windows 10 and 11. all pc are win 11 compatible not forced install.

Blue Screen Of Death

Boot Configuration Data

Regarding cloning.
I’m curious. How are you cloning with just a single HDD in the system?

If your cloning from different hardware then it will have to setup the drivers for the new system once its cloned. That’s why there is only a need to go into Safe Mode once while it sorts out the drivers.
If this is the case then there is no fix, and this is not really a great way to make a backup.

If you’re restoring an image from a backup file from lets say an external HDD. Then there is a correct way to make the backup in Macrium Reflect.
If this is the case then I can walk you through the process for Macrium Reflect.

HI Dee, the second drive is in a usb caddy, its the way I have always done it, if things doo go belly up I swap the drives over, but what you say does make sense. Yes please how to do a backup, also after the previous chat I tried to make a Recovery drive but windows RE was missing???

Macrium Reflect uses a Win11 PE. So you may need to build the rescue media from a PC or Laptop running Win11.

Don’t worry this Win11 PE is quite happy to run on machines running win10 or even Linux.
Make sure these options are ticked when creating the rescue media.

• Check for devices missing drivers on boot ON
  • Enable Multi Boot MBR/UEFI ON.

Now click on the Build button.
This will download the Win11 PE files if not found on the system (around 300MB).

Once you have created the rescue media make sure you can boot from it.
So reboot and press F8 on Asus boards to select the boot menu, and then select your USB pendrive you just created. It may take some time to fully boot.

Check that it boots ok.

If it does boot ok then to make backups will require either a spare HDD/SSD to put in your USB Dock, or you will need to buy one that has at least 500GB of capacity. This will allow to store and restore backups from all your systems in one place, as the USB Rescue Media you created will work on any PC/Laptop providing you created as in the guide further up this post.

If you don’t want to use a spare HDD or buy one, then there is no point in describing how to do a backup using Macrium Reflect, and you can continue to do things the way you have been doing them up until now.

You can still use the rescue media to clone as you have been doing.
Its a handy tool to have as it can also rebuild a broken BCD which may be preventing a system from booting.

1 Like

Hi Dee, please do carry on, its something I’ve been playing with but can’t get my head around it. Once its there I can print it off

OK.
First things first.
1, You must have a working Macrium Reflect Rescue USB media built and checked to make sure it can boot on any PC you wish to use it on.
2, A spare or new HDD/SSD of 500GB or higher in capacity to store the backups on.

You cannot store the Reflect images on a Windows system drive otherwise it will overwrite the backup image when you try to restore the image.
You cannot restore an image running Macrium Reflect when Windows is running as it wont allow you to overwrite the system drive you are currently running for obvious reasons.

Making a Windows system backup using Macrium Reflect

This is easier if you have Macrium Reflect installed in Windows as the process is more or less automatic.

Storage drive preparation.
Connect your storage drive and format it NTFS.
Make a new folder and call it whatever you like (example Reflect Backups).
Lets assume your storage drive has the D:\ drive letter. (mines is R:)

Now run Macrium Reflect

Once Reflect opens choose the Create an image of the partitions(s) required to backup and restore Windows as shown below.

Now select where you want to store the backup and give it a name.

Now select the Finish option and follow the prompts.
It really is as simple as that.

To Restore a backup.

Boot to your USB Macrium Reflect Rescue media. Once it boots navigate to where you have the backups stored, and you will have a display similar to the one below.

Select the backup you wish to restore from the list of backups.
The first time you run the media you may be prompted to select a Destination drive
Select your Windows system drive.
Now select the Restore icon above the backups list.

You will get some warnings saying that your system drive will be deleted. Just ok it, and wait until the restore completes.

Reboot (remove the USB rescue media).
If it all worked as expected then you boot back into Windows as you normally would.

1 Like

thanks Dee, your a star, much appreciated. :grinning:

No problem. Just let us all know how it goes when you try it.

1 Like

Just to let you know, all went well, thanks for your help.

That’s great.
Thanks for letting us know.

1 Like