Cloneing hard drives?

vbimport

since i have had to completely redownload all my info on my c drive twice i would like to know if there is away to make a bootable external hard drive that i can use to replace my working one inside of my computer in other words if my main hard drive gets bugged i want to just take the external one and put it in my computer and run. i have a dell 410 xps running windows xp. if anymore info is needed i will try to get it to you :doh:

I use Acronis :

Here’s a freebie that some like :
http://www.xxclone.com/idwnload.htm

xxclone works great as I have that and Norton Ghost and that is a good idea to have a spare HD as I have one installed in my computer and clone my main HD about every 3 months, I also leave it disconnected until I go to clone it that way it just sits there until I need it, I also have had to in the past reformat my HD and the spare HD saved me a lot of headaches

The xxclone site might be infected with scamware - it gives me this result on first attempt to load (http://91.205.233.31/index2.php?src=550&surl=www.xxclone.com&sport=80&suri=%2Fidwnload.htm)

(It’s possible but unlikely that the infection is in my own system, since this is the first such “warning” I’ve seen.)

I urge caution.

A free disk imaging tool, that I use and would recommend, is:

Macrium Reflect FREE Edition

Disk imaging and disk cloning are not the same but strongly related, so I thought I’d throw that in there as an option.

Another alternative is using a free live CD like SystemRescueCD :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2168929]The xxclone site might be infected with scamware - it gives me this result on first attempt to load (http://91.205.233.31/index2.php?src=550&surl=www.xxclone.com&sport=80&suri=%2Fidwnload.htm)

(It’s possible but unlikely that the infection is in my own system, since this is the first such “warning” I’ve seen.)

I urge caution.[/QUOTE]
Had the same thing happen on the first attempt. Second attempt appeared normal.
I sent Pixelab an email.

Macrium looks very good.

thanks but does any of these programs? what i mean is can i take it out of the external and put in my computer and boot and run i saw in the post that there is a diff between image and clone thanks for the help

[QUOTE=spboyd1;2169159]thanks but does any of these programs? what i mean is can i take it out of the external and put in my computer and boot and run i saw in the post that there is a diff between image and clone thanks for the help[/QUOTE]
Most hard drive manufacturers offer free software that is used to clone the old to the new drive. Check their sites.

If you clone your internal harddrive to an external harddrive, you should be able to put that external harddrive in your system instead of the internal harddrive and boot from it.

There might be some issues if the harddrives have different sizes or are different types (e.g. SATA vs PATA).

If you make an image of your harddrive (or a partition) to a file somwhere, then you can restore the image of that harddrive (or partition) back to that same harddrive or another harddrive.

Which solution you want depends on the scenario(s) you are trying to protect yourself against, and it depends on whether you just want one clone or want multiple images.

A disk cloning program cannot make images (unless it’s also a disk imaging program), but a disk imaging can be used to clone a drive by first creating an image and then restoring it to another drive - this requires room for the image somewhere, however.

For a one-time transfer from an old harddrive to a new harddrive, a disk cloning or disk migration tool is better.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2168929]The xxclone site might be infected with scamware - it gives me this result on first attempt to load (http://91.205.233.31/index2.php?src=550&surl=www.xxclone.com&sport=80&suri=%2Fidwnload.htm)

I urge caution.[/QUOTE]

I’m confused…:confused: are you running PCPrivacyCleaner?
If you are, it happens to be malware and, a con…:cop:

[QUOTE=spboyd1;2168929]
since i have had to completely redownload all my info on my c drive twice i would like to know if there is away to make a bootable external hard drive that i can use to replace my working one inside of my computer in other words if my main hard drive gets bugged i want to just take the external one and put it in my computer and run. i have a dell 410 xps running windows xp. if anymore info is needed i will try to get it to you :doh:
[/QUOTE]
I would do it the pain & easy way on this…:flower: Here is what I did:
install windows XP on the master HDD then, your previous HDD make it a slave now, your pc will always boot to the master HDD 1s so, the slave will be ignored unless, you made changes in the BIos…simple drag and, drop all your Program Files content & My Documents and,m other crap you may want to the new HDD and, remember to uncheck hidden files & folder as well as operating system files so, they all get copied…then finally format the slave if you so desire.

Kind Regards.

Good Luck.

[quote=Macrovision3500;2169475]I’m confused…:confused: are you running PCPrivacyCleaner?
If you are, it happens to be malware and, a con…:cop:[/quote] No I’m not running PCPrivacyCleaner. :disagree:

The site tried to trick me into installing PCPrivayCleaner! :frowning:

This is why I urge caution with the xxclone site, since they seem to be either infected by someone peddling PCPrivacyCleaner or they are peddling PCPrivacyCleaner deliberately.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2169615]

The site tried to trick me into installing PCPrivayCleaner! :frowning:

[/QUOTE]

hehehehe…

Really nothin’ funny about it.
Pi**ed me off when it happened to me.
I believe Pixelab (XXClone) is good people, too bad there are morons out there trying to take advantage of them.