CloneDVD2 says it has no exclusive access to the drive - unable 2 complete copy

I’m using latest AnyDVD (v 6.1.6.5) in conjunction with CloneDVD (v 2.9.0.9) on my Dell Inspiron 8200 (768MB SDRAM), running WinXP SP2. I have internal DVD-ROM drive [TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-C2502 1D13 03/08/01] and a USB2 connected external DVD MULTI Drive [LENOVO USB_MULTIBURNER3 F6S3 2006/12/20 13:46]. The laptop didn’t have USB2 as standard so some time ago I purchased a Belkin PCMIIA Card USB2 port (dual ports). It is through this port that I’ve the external DVD writer connected.

As a very recent and new user of these software and of backing up CSS-protected media, I’ve already attempted making a backup copy of a Region Free [All] DVD using Sonic RecordNow [Multimedia Center for Think Offering, Build: 2.4.13e, Sonic Solutions 2005] with AnyDVD running in the background. It recognised the media in the external USB2 DVD writer (I was using DVD-R DL as well as DVD+R DL). The CloneDVD copy process went OK, except it only recognised 4.4GB on the blank media prior to commencing burning when in fact the media is Dual-layered and 8.5GB. Anyway on testing on two different stand alone DVD players (Pioneer and Panasonic) with copies of the Sonic RecordNow burnt DVDs on -R DL and +R DL respectively the movie in both copied disks seemed to stop (freeze) at a point just over half-way through the movie.

It was then that I purchased CloneDVD2. However, after the writing of files to the temporary cache it would stall at the point when writing would commence with the error message: CloneDVD2 says it has no exclusive access to the drive.

I have searched various threads and FAQs and I have learnt that it is probable that there are other drivers attempting or accessing the external drive at the same or in conflict with it. I don’t understand this or how to diagnose it.

Another thread has indicated to me that packet-writing (direct drop) software installed could be interfering and causing the CloneDVD software to 'think’it doesn’t have exclusive access to the external USB2 drive. I know that the Roxio CD Creator 5 and the Sonic Record Now [Audio/Copy/Data] have such 'packet-writing software. But I don’t particularly want to have to uninstall this and anything else that’s conflicting.

Could it be that running the USB connection through the USB2 enhancing card in the PCMIIA card slot is causing interference?

I haven’t tried to run it through the original USB ports on the laptop, but I know that these are only USB1 equipped.

Any assistance and tips for further diagnosis or solution would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Planet Lars :bow:

Hi, just came across the exact same problem. It seems that AnyDVD is the culprit. Stop it from running and CLONEDVD burns just fine

ex-egll

Well rather then getting a extra usb card did you try to use the usb1 connector that was on your computer to see if that worked? Does your computer see the ubs connector device? Also you have sonic running that might be part of the reason its stopping the device from working as their might be conflicts between sonic and slysoft running at the same time. I would recommend remove or disable sonic if you can and try it again with just anydvd running and then start clonedvd and see if that will do a better backup. Also what kinda of media you using and what is the burn speed? Also is your device firmware updated and O/S updated past SP2 as well?

Thanks Ex-Eg. I assume you mean to disable AnyDVD once the copy of the DVD being backed-up has been written to the hard disk, as AnyDVD is required to be running in the background in order to complete the initial phase. I’ll give it a go, and once the first stage is complete, will turn off AnyDVD and see if CloneDVD then writes to the external DVD writing device, without the conflict.
Cheers
Planet lars

Many thanks Coolcolors :slight_smile:
Will try the USB 1 port. All other devices appear to be ‘seen’ OK. How would I go about ‘disabling’ Sonic software? I don’t want to actually remove it - would rather have it dismantled for the duration of the DVD backup exercise.

I have already tried using both DVD-R DL [2x-4x speed; Made in Singapore] and DVD+R DL [2.4x speed; Made in Taiwan].

Have investigated the DVD device firmware and it all seems uptodate. My Windows OS is always update through online security updates, etc. So I assume this is OK.

cheers
Plant lars

Well I would think anydvd and sonic are conflicting with each other. I used sonic if it’s the sony software and it has caused me headaches past so I just discarded it. Plus I would not advise disable Anydvd if your media is css protected that will kick in and you will have a coaster media. That is why you suppose to have anydvd startup when windows startsup to automatically decrypt the media protection so you can make a safe backup to protect your original from damages. Does the sonic software have something like a taskbar icon that is running when you power up the computer? If so there should be a configuration or setup in the software where you can disable it from running. Try to see if you can find something similiar to that. But I have suspicion that Anydvd and Sonic are in conflict-as some users on here have mention they had some problems with sonic. And if all fails you might have to uninstall sonic but before this make sure you have your registration and serial saved and you have disk that can install sonic back onto the computer. But I think sonic is interfering with the burn process unless someone else tells what else might be the cause.

Correct

coolcolours: thanks! am waiting for a mate to return my external drive to try the new configs with the Sonic disabled.

The Sonic software is bundled together as:
Module Name: Multimedia Center for Think Offerings
Build: 2.4.13e
Serial Number: SC-204B19Q
Copyright: Sonic Solutions 2005

Thanks ex-egll. But taking into account coolcolours’ comments have you had any problems disabling AnyDVD at the stages you mention?

I see a multimedia platform. I never was impressed or very happy to see such a setup. If you read recently HP of US has stopped making multimedia desktop and reverted to just a plain desktop configuration cause they were having so much software problem with that setup. So it’s safe to assume for now that that mutilmedia setup is or part of the problem with Anydvd existing on your computer. I know if you stopped Anydvd during a copy process that media protection will kick in and say it can’t be copied or backup-then you have a unfinished and or burned media leading to it making a coaster. That is a costly thing if your burning on DL media.