CloneDVD2-Most Pressed DVD's Show Read Error

Yo-
Just downloaded my trial copy of CloneDVD2 v 2.8.5.1 and am using it with AnyDVD v 5.3.2.1.

Three of the last four movies show an error in the left hand screen “VIDEO_TS\VTS_05_1.VOB: read error” then something about “Data Error(cyclic redundancy check)” and a comment about cleaning the disc-

I have successfully burned the movies with DVDshrink - so I think there is a problem with the handshake between these two programs

Any help would be appreciated-

TIA

Mike

Yo Ollie-

Can ya help me here?

TIA

Mike

Hello Folks,

I wonder if the Elaborate Bytes and/or SlySoft Technical Staff can comment about this problem.

Throughout the CloneDVD and AnyDVD Forum there have been numerous reports of Forum Members having problems using the AnyDVD-CloneDVD combination and receiving CRC (cyclic redundancy check) errors notifications and the AnyDVD-CloneDVD combination failing to make back up copies of the particular DVD title.

Then these same Forum Members, similar to what Forum Member bigmike7 reports in this thread, report using the AnyDVD-DVDShrink combination with the same particular DVD title that AnyDVD-CloneDVD just failed to copy and successfully making a back up copy.

How does DVDShrink process the data differently than CloneDVD does that allows DVDShrink to copy these DVD titles?

Perchance is there away that CloneDVD can be improved to process the data similar to the manner that DVDShrink does. Is this even desirable. Is there some type of over looked error that is included in the AnyDVD-DVDShrink back up copy that makes the AnyDVD-DVDShrink back up copy flawed in some manner.

I would like to hear Elaborate Bytes and/or SlySoft Technical Staff comment on this topic.

Best Regards,
bjkg

The difference between CloneDVD2 and other applications is, that CloneDVD uses normal File I/O, where other programs like Shrink use some SCSI Interface (SPTI or ASPI).
CloneDVD2 uses a more generic interface, but this makes it more vulnerable to other crap installed. Anti Virus software, Packet Writing software, other tools all hook the FileSystem and can mess up your system.

Yo bjkg-

You are SO absolutely right on the money with your comments - and thank you for being SO correct in your assessment-

I have used AnyDVD for over a year now and finally wanted to give CloneDVD2 a shot - and it failed so miserably that I am having second thoughts about buying the program - and will not - until I can get some good reliable burns-

Thanks again-

Mike

What titles have you tried to copy?

I never had this CRC message and have copied around 500 DVD’s with AnyDVD +
CloneDVD combination

Interesting statement, sure would like to hear a comment from Olli on it.

I have noticed the same problem from time to time and I assumed it was my reader going too fast. When I switched to a different drive I had no problem.

Just adding some additional data for the experts. :slight_smile:

Yo chas 0039-

Thanks for the imput Bra-

My combo is the AOpen 1648/aap Pro with the NEC 3500 - a combo that I have been using for the last six to eight months without any problems - UNTIL I installed CloneDVD2-

Oh well - I’ll just stick with DVDshrink or DVDrebuilder and save my $

Mike

I never saw any of this type of problem either when I was using DVDDcrypter and CloneDVD to burn from HD. It only occurs with AnyDVD and on the fly burning in conjunction with CloneDVD. Given the high speed read ability on the AOpen it would seem to support my guess that AnyDVD doesn’t slow down in the same way that DVDDcrypter does. I would try the next disc where you hit an error and run DriveSpeed to slow down the AOpen and see what happens.

bigmike7,
have you check in preference setting, make sure Enable auto and filter unreferred check and try again, if you can slow down your AOpen 1648/aap Pro it should work
sometimes dvd-rom read too fast will cause CRC

I’ve fortunately never experenced the dreaded “CRC errors” with the AnyDVD - CloneDVD 2 combination. Perhaps it’s because I used AnyDVD to slow my DVD ROM’s read speed down.

Yo-

Slowing down the reader is a viable option - will try it tomorrow-

Mike

Yo-

Well I tried slowing down the AOpen-

Didn’t work on the next 8 or so movie backups - so looks like I’m not buying CloneDVD2 any time soon - as others are having the problem and doesn’t loon like Slysoft or Ollie are interested in fixing it-

Oh well - let the next twelve days go by and remove it from my system-

Mike

Sorry you could not get the two to work together. CloneDVD really makes my life easier than with DVDShrink but if it won’t work for you it is a shame. I haven’t used my AOpen for quite a while so possibly I dodged your bullet.

check your system for spyware

Yo-

I run Trend Micro Internet 2005; M$ antispyware; Spybot and AdAware - so spyware is not an issue - but thanks for the suggestion-

Mike

Are the dvd orignals your trying to backup have scratches? Deep or circular scratches can cause read errors. From what I have read on another forum the read error can be caused by scratched, dirty or a bad source disc.

Hello Folks,

This thread has been open for more than a week now.

At least three Forum members have asked Elaborate Bytes and/or SlySoft Technical Staff to comment about this problem.

I would like to hear an Official statement from either Elaborate Bytes and/or SlySoft Technical Staff as the why Forum Members are unable the use the latest versions of AnyDVD-CloneDVD to copy certain DVD titles but while using AnyDVD-DVDShrink combination these same DVD tiles are successfully copied.

Please refer to my #3 posting in this thread for amplifying information.

There has to be some reason why the latest versions of AnyDVD-CloneDVD are unable copy DVD titles while the AnyDVD-DVDShrink combination is able to copy these DVD titles.

Is there some over looked setting in either AnyDVD an/or CloneDVD that needs to be enabled or disabled to allow coping of these DVD tiles that are successfully copied with the AnyDVD-DVDShrink combination while the AnyDVD-CloneDVD combinations fails to copy these DVD titles.

I previously asked this question in posting #3 in this thread but did not receive a reply so I’ll ask the question once again.-> Perchance is there away that CloneDVD can be improved to process the data similar to the manner that DVDShrink does. Is this even desirable. Is there some type of over looked error that is included in the AnyDVD-DVDShrink back up copy that makes the AnyDVD-DVDShrink back up copy flawed in some manner.

I had originally thought that since AnyDVD-CloneDVD combination failed to copy these DVD titles and the AnyDVD-DVDShrink combination did that the AnyDVD-DVDShrink combination copies might have some type of error induced when the copies were made. In another ClonDVD Forum thread titled “Software that works best?” Forum Mermber bigmike7 confirmed that AnyDVD-DVDShrink combination copies were error free. If interested please view #8 comments in the below Forum posting.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=144428

Once again I would like to hear a response from either Elaborate Bytes and/or SlySoft Technical Staff. There has to be a simple answer.

Best Regards,
bjkg

As I said: The difference between CloneDVD2 and other applications is, that CloneDVD uses normal File I/O, where other programs like Shrink use some SCSI Interface (SPTI or ASPI).
CloneDVD2 uses a more generic interface, but this makes it more vulnerable to other crap installed. Anti Virus software, Packet Writing software, other tools all hook the FileSystem and can mess up your system.
Always using normal File I/O is a design decision. It makes the code similar to all platforms (Mac/Windows) and it is similar regardless if you copy from Harddisk or DVD. With Nero Recode you sometimes see differences, remember the Hitch/AnyDVD discussion?

Nothing is wrong with CloneDVD in the reported cases, something is wrong with the machine, maybe some conflicting application. Virus Scanner?
You could try to drag and drop the files to harddisk and use CloneDVD from there.