CloneDVD2 - initial media message problems - Help!

Hi,

Recently ditched my old PC and bought a shiney new one complete with DVD burner (Aopen DUW1608ARR). Although the PC came with Nero as I have used CloneCD to copy audio discs for years with no problems, I decided to get CloneDVD2 (Ver: 2.8.5.1) as I assumed this would be as user friendly as it’s audio counterpart… Wrong !

I’ve been trying it out today and had no luck at all. I can copy the image file to the H/Drive perfectly but when I put in a blank DVDR nothing happens for about 5 minutes then I get an error message “Media Write Error” (WriteDVD 10 11 W2). Looking at the surface of the rejected disc it appears approx a third has been written too. The discs are Datawrite Red V3 4XDVD-R (manufacturer Infosmart01)

I tried reducing the write speed down to 2x but that didn’t work either. I have now tried the same discs using Nero and it worked fine, copied with no problems and at the correct speed for the disc ie: 4x.

Any idea what is going on here ? The whole issue of DVD buring is new to me so the simpler the explanation the better (hopefully there is one !). In the meantime it looks like its back to Nero.

Thanks very much for taking the time to read this.
Regards to all,
Simon

@ drzoom,

Welcome to the Forum.

Usually your problem is cause by the use of cheap off the wall DVD media and/or old outdated DVD Burner Firmware. Suggest visiting the CD Freaks Blank Media Forum (http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33) to acquire information on good reliable high quality DVD media.

Also suggest reviewing the below PC World article concerning the importance of up to date DVD Burner firmware. Just because you purchased a new computer does not mean that your Aopen DVD Burner has the latest most up to date DVD Burner Firmware installed.

Also suggest visiting SlySoft (http://www.slysoft.com) and download the latest version of AnyDVD-CloneDVD. Your CloneDVD v2.8.5.1 is two versions old.

The AnyDVD-CloneDVD software combination provides excellent results and is easy to use. Suggest viewing the below link for the AnyDVD-CloneDVD user tutorial which provides detailed information on the use of the AnyDVD-CloneDVD software programs.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?threadid=72022

Best Regards,
bjkg

Hi,

Firstly thanks for the welcome to the forum and taking the time to answer my initial post.

Can I ask why I would need to update the drive firmware if Nero has no problem recognising and buring the discs I am using ? I would have thought that out of date firmware would prevent the drive using the discs regardless of the DVD copying program being run…or am I missing something ?

I have downloaded the newest version of CloneDVD2 and I’ll check if that makes any difference.

Any further thought would be very welcome.

Thanks again.

Simon

just some additional information on my firmware. I had a look at the CDR-info site recommended in the PCWorld article. My drive is listed (Aopen DUW/1608/ARR) and it lists a total of 7 firmware updates in the last 18 months. However according to Nero the version of firmware I have is A080 which does not appear in the list ! There is an A060 but thats as close as I get, the next version listed is 1.07 ! Now I’m completly confused.

One other question, if you are upgrading firmware do you have to do it in stages from the version you have (if there have been several additional updates), or can you go straight to the latest version and update from there ?

Thanks again.

Simon