Environment: - Asus 'board, 1300mhz amd athlon, 1 gb memory, tons of hard disc, Sony 510a w 1.1 firmware (speed selector in firmware set to “silent” which rips and burns to -r media @2x), WinXP-sp1, CloneDVD2 2094. Using Ritek 4x and TDK 4x dvb-r media.
- rip video from dvd to hard disc with DVD Decryptor. works great.
- transcode video files from d: drive to c: drive with CloneDVD2. works great. btw, transcoding from the d: drive to the c: drive with version 2094 (instead of having both source and target files on the same drive) seems to have eliminated the video artifacts which occasionally showed up in my initial testing/burns.
- burn to dvd with CloneDVD2 (write existing files option - speed maximum, but keep in mind the drive burns at 2x no matter what as a result of the firmware setting). This is where the problem occurs.
Problem: sometimes the burn process works fine and will burn an excellent quality complete dvd in around 25 to 30 minutes. sometimes at some point during the burn process, CloneDVD2 will still appear to be burning away, but no progress is being made, and the drive has actually stopped burning, and will sit there forever like this. The only way out is to cancel CloneDVD2 via task manager. Lately it seems to occur in the 55% to 70% completed range. This problem comes and goes. Last night the program worked fine for 3 complete dvd burns, and then promptly froze at the 58% completed mark of the 4th dvd - giving me another coaster for my collection.
I’ve read comments from others who have run into this on other forums, but never seen a definitive cause or way to fix it. Some things I thought I might check this weekend:
- someone talked about issues with dma vs. pio settings. what is the correct/best settings? how about Promise ata100 channels and settings?
- ollie trashes all IDE busmaster drivers. could this be an issue? I don’t recall doing anything special when I reloaded this system (ie. I expect it is running whatever standard xp drivers were on the op system cd).
- should I try creating images and burning from them?
- should I just give up on the CloneDVD2 burn engine and try loading up my Roxio EMC7 program and doing the burning with that?
Maybe it’s time to try a different process/series of steps, but I always had such good performance from CloneCD in the past, I thought for sure CloneDVD would be as reliable for me on my system.
Any ideas or suggestions are welcome. Thanks.