CloneDVD2 & DVD-RAM Setting & NEC ND-3550A & Booktype Mystery

vbimport

This is a complex question bordering on a mystery. My quick questions are what the DVD-RAM setting is for in CloneDVD2 and whether this setting with or without the Nec ND 3550A Booktypes a +R disc in an Nec drive? Here is the background:

I have two external burners (Sony 810UL & Plextor 750UF). I primarily use DVD43 and Nero Ultra (Nero Recode) and I am pleased with the results. I only use Verbatim +R media and I always Booktype when using the Sony or Plextor as I never know what stand-a-lone player I will be using in my school. Nero does the Booktyping for the Sony and I use Booktype Management 8.4 for the Plextor. I also needed to replace an internal burner and I settled on a 3550A (F/W 1.06) based on the positive reviews in Newegg. I didn’t do enough research or I would have realized this is a tough drive to Booktype.

I was very unhappy with a recent upgrade nightmare with Nero so I tried the trial versions of AnyDVD and CloneDVD2. Unlike Nero, I realized that ConeDVD2 does not have a Booktype option and the Nec doesn’t like to be Booktyped.

Here is what I did: I backed up a movie using AnyDVD and CloneDVD2. My setting was DVD-RAM and I burned to a +R disc. I placed the completed disc in my –R player and it played. It shouldn’t have but it played I used Nero Utilities to see if the Booktype was DVD-ROM but it was still +R. Yet, it played on my –R player and it shouldn’ have. Every disc I ever Booktyped on my Sony or Plextor showed as being changed to DVD-ROM. I selected the DVD-RAM option in CloneDVD2 thinking it was a typo and that the “A” was supposed to be an “O”.

I’m impressed with AnyDVD and ConeDVD2 but would like to know whether this was a fluke or what is going on. If The Nec allows +R discs to be played on -R systems by selecting DVD-RAM, this is an undocumented bonus.

Thanks - Jeff

Hi,

If you are concened with the 3550A and bitsetting then I suggest you head over and read about liggy’s and dee’s patched firmwares. All firmwares support full bitsetting and media speed ups and tweaks, but come at a cost that you loose you drives warrenty.

Have a look at http://liggydee.cdfreaks.com/page/3550/

The latest being 1.Y6 for the ND-3550A.

My quick questions are what the DVD-RAM setting is for in CloneDVD2

This setting adjusts the target size CloneDVD will adhere to 4.7 GB for a single sided or 9.4GB for a double sided disk RAM disk.

@ jeff53404,

I concur with Forum Member PeebZ suggestion in visiting Ligg’s & Dee’s Web Page and looking in their BitSetting Firmware for the NEC ND-3550. Using Ligg’s & Dee’s BitSetting Firmware makes BitSetting +R DVD Media to book type DVD-ROM very easy. I have two NEC ND-3550s that are using Ligg’s/Dee’s BitSetting Firmware and these drives work faultlessly.

http://liggydee.cdfreaks.com/page/3550/

AnyDVD and DVD43 have sever conflict problems. If you are using AnyDVD ensure that all instance of DVD43 are completely removed to prevent conflict errors.

On another note I believe you are confused concerning BitSetting +R DVD Media to book type setting DVD-ROM and DVD-RAM Media. There is a world of difference between DVD-ROM and DVD-RAM.

DVD-RAM is a particular re-writeable Media similar to DVD±RW Media. Most DVD devices do not support DVD-RAM. Below is a WikiPedia article concerning DVD-RAM Media.

Below is a WikiPedia article explaining exactly what DVD-ROM is.

Quite possibly a lot of your problem is your confusion DVD-ROM with DVD-RAM. There is remarkable difference between the two as is explained in the two referenced WikiPedia articles.

Best Regards,
bjkg

Thanks for the response & support.

I’ve been Booktyping for quite some time (with Sony & Plextor) and the DVD-ROM Booktype option always works in my entry level Denon 1710 player. The DVD-ROM discs also work in my PC. The DVD-RAM setting from DVDClone2 also plays on the Denon but I didn’t expect it to work. What is still a mystery is why the +R media (using DVDClone2’s DVD-RAM option) plays when the Denon says it is a –R only player.

What really blew me away was when I reread the Denon’s owner’s manual. It says the following (note that the all caps & exclamation are Denon’s – not mine).

“NEVER playback the following discs. Otherwise, malfunction may result!
DVD-RAM
CD-I
Photo CD
Video CD
DVD with Region codes other than 1 or ALL
DVD-ROM for personal computers
CD-ROM for personal computers”

The key words are “malfunction may result”. So far, Booktyping has worked very well and so has the DVD-RAM setting in DVDClone2. I wonder if I can feed the Denon anything & everything. Denon seems to be way too conservative.

P. S. I’ve been looking at Liggy for quite some time as my Booktyping guru said they were a must read. As my other burners support DVD-ROM, I’m in no rush & I need to get a little more comfortable before I go in a more radical direction.

Thanks Again