CloneDVD2 Angle Selection Problem?

vbimport

i notice on some movies by default CloneDVD2 will select more than one angle, and although i deselect 2 of the 3 angles they end up on my backup. I am using the most current version 3.8.5.1 of CloneDVD2, and an example of such movies would be Star Wars Episodes 4,5 and 6. I was wondering if anyone knows why this is. I am attaching picture of the probel I experience for Star Wars Episode 6: Return of the Jedi, thanks in advance!

Before Backup (With selections i chose)

After Backup (The result, notice it copies all three angles, not the one i selected)

does anyone have any idea why it copied all three angles to the backup disc instead of just the one angle that was selected??

i think i may have found the only problem with CloneDVD2, from the amount of views there have been, no one can explain why this is happening… i have not experienced any other problem with CloneDVD2, ever.

@ squijello,

About a month and a half ago I made a back up copy of Star Wars Episode 6 and selected angle #1 and deselected angles #2 and #3 and made the back copy with no problems. My back up copy only contains the angle#1 that I selected and does not contain the angles#2 and angles#3 that I deselected.

I believe possibly that you problem could be user error induced and not some hidden flaw in the CloneDVD software program.

PS- Just because other Forum Members view your particular posting does not obligated them to make a posting response. I believe you are not displaying much patience – your posting has only been displayed for 45 minuets.

Best Regards,
bjkg

funny, i recall posting 3 days ago. Maybe i lost track of time or something, but over 100 hits in 45 minutes?.. the reason i have screenshots is so you can see for yourself there are not any user input errors. To be honest i love CloneDVD2, i think it is great, and why youre getting all excited is beyond me… maybe we can agree on asking users of the forum, if anyone has backed up their star wars movies and has experienced what i have experienced, maybe you can post and let us know what your result was. For all you know, it could have been a one in a million chance that it did work properly for you, it could be the DVD drive i use isnt as good, but why you attack me is not cool, and i would appreciate it greatly if you gave not only myself but other users the benefit of a doubt in that we are not computer illiterate, and not jump to any conclusions without furthur investigating the problem.
Regards
squijello

PS - im not twisting anyones arm to respond, if you choose not to, thats perfectly fine, but it would be nice :slight_smile:

@ squijello,

Sorry for the day/time error and I apologize for my unkind comments. After your recent posting I went and checked and cleaned my explorer cache and I found that your math/day count is correct. Somehow my explorer cache was “stuck” and was not updating the Forum page day count.

My son has the Star Wars Episode 6 DVD hidden somewhere his room so I am unable to re-check to CloneDVD angle selection.

As stated previously I had no problems with Angle selection.

I believe your particular problem doesn’t has any correlation to your DVD burner.

If you closely look at the first snapshot only Angle #1 is selected and the quality level is at 53%.

In the second snapshot Angles #1, #2, and #3 are selected and the quality level is at 100%.

Something doesn’t jive there.

Best Regards,
bjkg

This is by design. CloneDVD2 copies the structural information of all angles, but greys out the video information of the angles, which are not used.
This is done, because this will give you maximum compatibility, especially if you keep the menu structure.
If you look at the backup, CloneDVD2 sees three angles, but in fact only one angle was copied.
Try to watch the movie with one of the alternate angles selected, you will see some parts greyed out.
You can copy all angles, the impact on the quality is minimal.

has this movie really 3 angles in particular scenes???

i would recommend also to copy always all angles shown as sometimes
there are angles shown that doesn’t really exist…I don’t know
what happens if you leave them

Yes. The scrolling text at the beginning is in different languages.

thanks, never realized that :doh:

I do think this is an issue with CloneDVD2 because of the following:
Using the Star Wars example above . .
If you do not choose all the angles, CloneDVD2 can insert greyed out screens in some places - generally related to titles or text in different languages as someone else pointed out.
If you do select all the angles, and burn only the movie itself as in the above example, the program declares that you have selected multiple titles to be played in sequence - and you will end up with a dvd that wants to play the movie multiple times - once for each angle included in the original selection process. The video files are not duplicated in the disk so it does not force excessive transcoding. The issue must be in the ifo’s created by CloneDVD2?

Yes, Version 2.7.5.1 introduced:
New: All selected titles are now played one after the other, if “copy without menu” was chosen. The play order is set by the title number. The title marked as “first play” will always be played first. Example: Titles 10, 11, 13, 15 are selected, title 11 is marked as first play. The play order will be 11, 10, 13, 15.
The bug seems to be, that multiple angles are treated in the same way. I believe this is just cosmetic.

no panic, clonedvd really isn’t that stupid

it shows you each of the existing angles and you are able to choose just one
if you want, but whatever you select it will play the movie only once.

if you choose all three angles it copies only the additional scenes of angle 2 and three not the whole movie again
if you leave these angles it plays just gray if you select one of the not copied angles

if you copy all tree angles it doesn’t copy whole the movie 3 times and doesn’t play one
after the other in a row it only copies the additional material of the diffrent angles

so if it is only the scroll text at the beginning in this specific movie it takes
additional 30 sec. of movie of each angle and it doesent plays the other angles
in a row but you are able to change the angle with your remote exactly
same as you are able to do on original dvd

everything works perfect and like it should the new play order introduced in 2.7.5.1
works perfect and has no affect to angles selection

but like said before just copy all three angles as the additional material for the
different angles is only some seconds of movie and has nearly no impact on quality

you can do a test if you select all three angles on the first screen you
attached (before backup) the quality bar remains the same (more or less)

I think I’ve tested this before, but maybe I got it wrong. I swear that when I included all the multiple angles when making a movie only backup, that the dvd played angle 1 just fine - and at the end, then started playing the movie from the beginning again - in angle 2 mode.

ok, this might be…never tested that

what I meant is even if you select all three angles it doesn’t copies three times
the movie but only once the movie and for the additional angles only the additional
scenes

but CloneDVD worked like it should, like Tru said:

This is by design. CloneDVD2 copies the structural information of all angles, but greys out the video information of the angles, which are not used.
This is done, because this will give you maximum compatibility, especially if you keep the menu structure.
If you look at the backup, CloneDVD2 sees three angles, but in fact only one angle was copied.
Try to watch the movie with one of the alternate angles selected, you will see some parts greyed out.
You can copy all angles, the impact on the quality is minimal.

why wouldnt it only copy the angle you choose though… isnt it weird that you think that you are only taking the one angle because based on the options you select this is what you would be led to believe, but in fact you end up with more than one on your backup. I noticed this on an older movie i have, The Distinguished Gentlemen…

Hello Folks,

As stated in my original posting in this thread I hand no problems copying only Angle #1 of Star Wars Episode 6.

I finally located the original copy of Star Wars Episode 6 in all the rubble in my Son’s room and once again made a back up copy of Star Wars Episode 6. I used “Copy DVD Titles” without menus. In “Title Configuration” I selected only Angle#1 and ensured that all other items were de-selected and made my copy. When finished making my back up copy I checked to see what Angles were actually copied. The check revealed that only Angle #1 was copied. I played this back up copy and it plays correctly with only English scrolling text displayed in the beginning of the movie. I attempted to change Angles via the desktop stand-alone DVD player remote control but no other Angles were available.

Best Regards,
bjkg

what dvd burner do you use? i have a NEC 3500AG… could this be the problem, or is it windows… i h8 windows!

@ squijello,

My DVD devices are a Lite-On SOHD-167T that I use as my Reader/Ripper device and a NEC ND-3500 that I use as my DVD Burner device.

As previous stated whatever DVD Burner you are using has nothing to do with your Angle selection problem. I am using Windows XP Pro as my operating system software program. Your operating system software also has nothing to do with you Angle selection problem.

As stated above in thread posting #17 I had absolutely no problems at all recently backing up Star Wars Episode 6 with only Angle#1 on the back up copy. I used AnyDVD v5.3.2.1 and CloneDVD v2.8.5.1 and the above mentioned hardware DVD devices and Widows operating system.

I have now backed up Star Wars Episode 6 twice in the past month and a half and each time only select Angle #1 and that is the only Angle that CloneDVD records to my back up copy.

Your problem is related to the manner in which you are operating the CloneDVD software program.

Best Regards,
bjkg

thats strange… it is the simplist program to use… i choose copy titles… de-select angles 2 and 3, verify i have chosen angle one and then click go… this is however the result i achieve, is there something you are doing different?