CloneDVD2 and BenQ's Solidburn creates dark rings and massive errors at 3.5GB

vbimport

I’ll start with specs -
P4 2.4 Ghz
Windows XP Pro SP2
BenQ 1655 BCDB
Verbatim DVD+R MCC004

So here’s the story…I’ve burned maybe 30 or so DVDs, all the same media, all with SB on/on, WOPC on, OS off. They’ve been fine burns. I scanned the first 20-25 (I’m a little anal like that) then let the rest go as all the scans were relatively the same and of good quality. I’ve burned 95% of these at 12x - SB won’t let burns go any faster I don’t think. I’m just guessing because my burn times are always about 6:30 or so.

Last night I was on the third movie in the Blade Trilogy, when I heard CloneDVD give me the “Oh No”. The write hadn’t even started and it found some error (I forget what the message was). I reinserted the disc and the burn started/completed as usual. I figured I’d run a scan just to be sure.

It started off normal, then at the 3.5 Gb mark I got massive PO failures for about 200 MB. I thought, maybe bad disc, so I tried 3 more…all the same.

QScan said the media was ok. Incidentally, how long does a QScan run take? The help file says 10 minutes, mine took 70 seconds at 12x…???

Back to the story…so I figure something is going wrong. First thing I try is to turn off SB for known media. Guess what? Perfect burn, perfect scan - PIE=max 9, PIF=max 5.

So SB is staying off now, as burns with it on are the same quality as with it off.

I’ve thought about updating to the BCGB firmware. I know it’s in some kind of “beta” state right now, but does anyone know if it’s got updated writing strategies for some of the newer 16x media like the MCC004’s?

Any other ideas or similar experiences here?

I’m new here, but I love this place already :clap:

Erik

Welcome to the forum! :slight_smile:

About that issue, well it can happen, if that firmware already has a very good burn strategy for that media, then what SB will do will never keep up with what the strategy provides you.

In some cases, SB can still be of value even when a strategy exists, but this has to be more of a trial and error, you have to try burns with and without SB ON and see what fits better that media :slight_smile:

Nothing wrong though, it’s “normal”. :wink:

What’s strange though is I figured by 30 burns SB would have zeroed in on something it liked. And it looked like it had. Then BAM, it totally chokes. I don’t mean a PO failure spike, it mean like 100,000 or more.

And it continued to choke, no improvement. Eh, it works with SB off, so I’ll leave it that way. Sucks I’m gonna have to waste time scanning the next 10 burns cause I probably won’t trust it till then :laugh

Concerning BCGB, does anyone know if writing strats were updated with this update?

Oh sorry :doh: hadn’t seen this:

So here’s the story…I’ve burned maybe 30 or so DVDs, all the same media, all with SB on/on, WOPC on, OS off. They’ve been fine burns. I scanned the first 20-25 (I’m a little anal like that) then let the rest go as all the scans were relatively the same and of good quality. I’ve burned 95% of these at 12x - SB won’t let burns go any faster I don’t think. I’m just guessing because my burn times are always about 6:30 or so.

Well, in that case, it’s really weird but if with it ON it burned all of them fine and then started screwing up, then it’s either those DVDs in specific that are defective or SB learned something that it shouldn’t and in that case I’d try an EEPROM clean and start burning them again.

It definitely picked up something it shouldn’t have. I burned 3 more coasters in a row before I turned SB off, then it burned perfect (PIE=max 9, PIF=max 5). So yeah, EEPROM clean and SB is staying off for these discs.

I originally thought it was maybe a bad disc, but QScan said they were fine, and my end results seem to support that theory.

QScan said the media was ok. Incidentally, how long does a QScan run take? The help file says 10 minutes, mine took 70 seconds at 12x…???
That’s normal with QSuite 2.1 and latest firmwares.
But nowdays not that many trust Qscan anyway.

I’ve thought about updating to the BCGB firmware. I know it’s in some kind of “beta” state right now, but does anyone know if it’s got updated writing strategies for some of the newer 16x media like the MCC004’s?
Wishful thinking. :wink:
A few new media codes were added to “china” firmwares though.

I ran into exactly the same problem with the 1655 and MCC 004. I just dropped this media from the list of BenQ friendly and I thought it might be because I was using both the Prodisc and CMC versions and that I had confused the learning. Looks like it is a bigger problem than that. I also saw some problems with another drive, my LG 4166, with the same media. As the LG does not learn, I have to conclude that there is a lot of variation in MCC 004 and we have to scan often and assume that there will just be some duds.

Ditto on the MCC 004 media issue.
You can see my attempts at overburn with it here:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?p=1387612

Concur with chas009 and ck on the above.

My MCC004 from over 10 sources and including MBI, CMC, Prodisc, either in cakeboxes or in jewel cases behave erratically even within the same pack or spindle.

They defeat all attempts at finding “correct settings” following the (very) sensible suggestions from recognized gurus like zebadee or zevia.

The distinguishing caracteristic is High Variability. You get one excellent burn then some very common ones and so on…

Not necessarily bad media but if you are looking for extreme quality then turn to Taiyo Yuden instead.

Turn the disc over and look at the dye side. Look to see if you have “rings” burned into the media with the discs that you burned with Clone and solid burn activated. This has happened to me and the scan goes downhill as soon as it reaches those “rings”.

Oh yea, I’ve got rings.

I went back through all the DVDs I made and found 3 more recent burns with the rings. I scanned them from 3.3 Gb to about 4 Gb - massive PO failures.

Reburned them all with SB off and haven’t had a bad scan yet. Did one just a bit ago and came out PIE/PIF both = max 7.

I’ve noticed some variability in the MCC004s, but not as bad as some others. However I cannot burn these media at 16x currently. The PIE/PIF errors ramp up dramatically after the burner passes 12x (somewhere around the 3 Gb mark). No big deal to me though.

Since the MCC004s play fine everywhere I’ve tried them, I’m going to stick with them for now. Plus BestBuy has the 50 pks on sale for 14.99 right now :thumbup

I’ll probably try tome TYs if I can find them branded somewhere. I don’t like the blank top discs (shiny or matte white). I prefer branded for some reason, eh.

There is no reason to stay away from undranded TY if you can find a good source. The printables also come in silver.
http://svp.co.uk/products-list.php?pg=3

Look also for the Plextor branded, like on this site :
http://www.cdrvierge.com/main_frame.php?page=shop/flypage&product_id=1126&category_id=3924ea7fa2e4a26d79147c74034ba4a8

You can also get Plextor branded Taiyo Yuden media at SVP. They have Plextor/TY CD-R media and Plextor/TY 16x DVD+/-R media: http://svp.co.uk/products-list.php?bid=96

But that’s probably not relevant if wraithdu is located in North America, which I suspect given the reference to BestBuy.

I have the exact same problem, but only with CloneDVD (Slysoft), with Solid burn on, it burns rings into the dye side that scan off the charts, solid burn is off all is fine. I also am using Sony branded TaiyoYuden 8x+ media. It has happened to other here also. When I use use other burning proggys I have no problem either, just Clone2.

More and more it is looking like SB is not the way to go with good media.

Is there anywhere to get this media in the states?

Hi :slight_smile:
Take a look here.

I remembered you posting previously about the rings alan, but I couldn’t find the thread again. I have been having the same problem with my 1640s. I didn’t realize that Clone’s burn engine was the root of the problem, so I’m glad to know this, as I generally use it. :doh:
Sometimes the rings are more pronounced, and I get the POFs, but at the very least a PIE, PIF spike, always at 3.5 gb.
SB off, no problems. I seem to get better scans of 004 with wopc off as well.
I know others swear by SB, and their posted scans attest to it, so maybe I should rethink what I do my burns with.

Check out this thread.

Hi :slight_smile:
@
alan1476,sockeye et al.
I do not dispute that you’ve had problems as scans are around to verify this. However I’d like to point out that I use CloneDVD2 & have never had this problem. SB is set to enabled for all media (system setting). I believe if you look at any of my scans you’ll agree that they’re among the the best seen for the media I use. (MCC 03RG20/MCC 004 & YUDEN000 T03).
@
chas0039
I think you’ll agree that not only is the above known media. But possibly the best/most popular.

The only concession I make when using CloneDVD is to write @ 12x rather than the 16x used for tests. On ocassion I use Nero @ 16x(for data).