CloneDVD Won't compress while writing?

Im on XP, CloneDvd2 2.8.9.9, AnyDVD 6.0.1.1.

I get this error:
File 1 C:/CloneDVDTemp/VIDEO_TS/VTS_05_3.VOB 23 W2

Thats a read error? Well it can’t read if there is no more disc. I tried different movies even the one I just backed up the night before. And they all get to different %'s but when I look at the disc it’s written to the edge. I tried reinstalling it, and even downloading it from different sources. Nothing works, it still won’t compress. Thanks for any help you guys can offer.

xzyras1,
Can you try rephrasing or expanding on your question; it doesn’t make any sense to me.

…it can’t read if there is no more disc…
What does that even mean?
…I tried different movies even the one I just backed up the night before …
You have a backup already(?) … so you want two backups?
…when I look at the disc it’s written to the edge
I thought you said you had a read problem … you can’t see burn marks on an original … only on burned disks can you see it is written to the edge(?)
…I tried reinstalling it, and even downloading it from different sources…
There is only one place to get slysoft software legitimately.

Whisperer

Whisperer, dude, you gotta play detective on this one as he didn’t give you enough info. First, he’s got one drive. He’s reading it to the temp folder on his hard drive. When he goes to write it, that’s when it gives him this error. Just because he says it’s a read error, in fact does not make it so. :slight_smile: It’s a write error and it’s probably due to crappy media. With a bit more information we could probably help him, but, that’s up to him to provide. We need media type and dvd burner specs before we can help.

You guys need to look at another posting xzyras1 had (http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=155467) some time ago which was the same problem he now has.

In that posting he was cantankerous to the guys helping him and the problem was never fixed. He has now returned again with the same problem. With iffy information he gives looks like again his problem will not be fixed.

@xzyras1, can you tell us your progress in checking the suggestions that Tru gave you in this post: http://club.cdfreaks.com/showpost.php?p=1173274&postcount=13

maybe then we’ll know what you’ve tried and can recommend where to go from there.

Wow, you guys haven’t changed! All the attitude given is ridiculous. I did fix it before by reinstalling the program from a new source.

Now its doing the same thing again. Ok, So it rips fine, but when writing it stops writing at anything from 26% to 78%, it gives me that error message. Then upon inspection of the disc, it is written to the edge. And that is why I think that it is not compressing.

Whisperer1, Sorry for the confusion.
I never said I had a read error. I get that error message during writing. I asked if that was a read error. Look again and there is a question mark there.

Umm… IM not sure what your question is here. I do mean the disk I was trying to burn. I can see it’s written the edge.
[I]"you can’t see burn marks on an original … only on burned disks can you see it is written to the edge(?)[/I]

And I don’t want 2 back-ups, I was testing to see if I had a bad DVD."

So there is only 1 site to get it from? Which one? Becasue I tried from both. Is one bad?

www.elaborate-bytes.com
or
www.slysoft.com

I tried all of Tru’s suggestions, non worked. Any idea’s?

if you fixed it last time, what’s the problem this time?

can’t you just fix it the same way you did before?

tru’s suggestions were pretty comprehensive and just saying “i tried all that” isn’t very informative.

also, i’m not giving you an attitude or being critical. people remember how they were treated in the past especially when there’s a post history to remind them. if everyone keeps their tempers in check all should be fine.

in regards to your issue, if the “fix” that you tried last time doesn’t work this time have you tried changing the temp file directory on the page where you select your burning options? try changing it to another hard drive preferably to rule out damaged sectors on the hard drive as an issue.

have you added any software, hardware, or drivers recently that may have caused this?

if it was fixed before, how long did it work for until you ran into the same problem again? can you recall anything that you did in between it working and then failing to work?

slysoft and elby are both valid source sfor clonedvd. most people are more familiar with the slysoft site.

if you got it from any other sources then I’d redownload.

have you tried contacted tech support regarding the issue? if so, what was their response?

also in regards to you saying that you think it’s not compressing…the compression is done BEFORE burning. the next time you rip a disc, rip to “ISO” or “FILES” rather than the dvd writer. then go to wherever you saved it and check the filesize to verify that the transcoding engine is doing its job and ocmpressing correctly. also, it’s a given, but stupider things have happened: you’re sure you’re setting the target size to DVD-5 (had to ask)

if you check the file size and it’s adequate for a single layer dvd then you can burn that data using clonedvd2’s “burn existing data function” and let us know how that goes.

and in response to your initial post, yes, it IS a read error. the temp files are on your hard drive and the error is reading from C:\ unless you’ve made some other letter your system drive and have an optical drive at C then this is a read error and not a write error.

I wasn’t referring to you on the attitude. And if you read the previous post, I did not give any attitude to anyone who didn’t give it 1st.

After I go it to work again it worked for about 8 months. Stopped working a few days ago. I did have some Mcafee issues. I was missing some files to start up the ActiveShield. I have been trying to fix that but have not been able to. I’m going to try a system recover, set it back to when everything was working and reinstall all the Mcafee software. Maybe that will help.

Yup I have it on the DVD-5, That was the 1st thing I checked. I see what you mean on compressing before it writes. You know, if I play the bad disc on a dvd player, it plays fine, then just stop half way or towards the end. So strange. I’ll check the data size and try a disc with that function.

Yup Im sending Elby tech an e-mail. Just have to finish it so I don’t confuse them. :iagree: Thanks for all your help.

one of the things that tru mentioned was invasive and interfering antivirus software issue. you left out an important part!

i’m not saying this is definitely your problem, but it’s certainly something to take care of and not neglect to mention given the circumstances.

anything else on Tru’s list that you’re leaving out? :wink:

Nope just that, haha. Sorry, Im trying to give all the info I can. Seems to confuse people, I didn’t leave it out on purpose. Oh, just looked over the list, I skipped that one because of the Norton Anti-virus. I know that is has problems working with Norton due to the way it runs or something like that, so I figured I don’t have that and went on the next one. I didn’t even give it a second thought until you just mentioned that it was on his list. I was thinking no its not, haha.
Bad Software, got it. I’ll get that fixed and see if that helps.

What he didn’t say that :confused: Waite, Im looking for it but can’t find that.
[I]"one of the things that tru mentioned was invasive and interfering antivirus software issue.[/I]

@ xzyras1,

There is absolutely no difference between the CloneDVD software program obtained from either Elaborate Bytes or SlySoft. So changing the CloneDVD software program from either Elaborate Bytes and/or SlySoft will have not have any effect of the performance or operation of the CloneDVD software program.

From the description you are providing of your problem it appears that possibly your problem is either related the quality of the blank DVD you are using and/or old outdated DVD Burner Firmware or a combination of both.

The CloneDVD software program relies heavily on the DVD Burner Firmware to control the burning process to blank DVD Media. If your DVD Burner Firmware is not up to date with the most current Firmware available will cause problems during CloneDVD burning to blank DVD Media process. Also poor quality blank DVD Media can also cause the problems you are describing.

To rule out DVD Media or DVD Burner Firmware as the cause of your problem provide the MID (Manufacture ID and Media Code) (Example:TYG02) of the blank Media your using and the Manufacture Name, Model Number, and Firmware version of your DVD Burner. To obtain this information suggest using a utility software program similar to DVD Identifier (http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com) or DVDInfo (http://www.dvdinfopro.com/). Please note that MID (Manufacture ID and Media Code) (Example:TYG02) of the blank DVD Media you are using was requested and not just the Manufacture Name printed on the package of the blank DVD Media.

Also provide information if you are using either internal or external hardware devices.

Best Regards,
bjkg

he said bad software and norton was given as an example, but McAfee is barely a step away from norton. i’ve had problems with both interfering with and conflicting with other programs. (although not clonedvd2, but there’s a first for everything)

i’d see if the system restore works first…that would be the simple solution.

@ xzyras1,

Providing amplifying information concerning possible problems with invasive Software Programs interfering with the proper function of the AnyDVD-CloneDVD software programs ->

If you perform a Forum Search on the topic it will reveal that it is highly recommended to ensure a quality error free Burn that all Multi-Tasking Background activities be curtailed when conducting Burning activities. This Multi-Tasking Background activity includes ALL invasive Anti-Virus and/or Packet Writing programs.

The following are examples of packet writing software programs –> Sonic DLA, Nero InCD, NTI FileCD, Roxio DirectCD/Drag-To-Disc, CE Quadrant Just!Burn, Sony abCD, InstantWrite, Backup4all, B’s Clip, NeoClip, InstantBurn. This is not an extensive complete list, there are numerous others. If you have ANY Packet Writing Software Programs installed strongly suggest to completely removing them from your computer. Packet Writing Software Programs are very invasive, cause numerous conflict error problems, and do not perform correctly.

To ensure that all Multi-Tasking background operation tasks are in fact curtailed check that all unnecessary programs are not automatically loaded during Window Startup. To check this suggest viewing the below Web Link that details how to use MSCONFIG to configure Windows Startup to load only the minimal necessary items. You will be surprised at all the unnecessary Memory and Resource wasting items that are automatically loaded during Windows Startup. Quite possibility you have some unnecessary item automatically loaded during Windows Startup that you are unaware of that could be interfering with the proper functioning of the AnyDVD-CloneDVD software program that could be causing your problem.

http://netsquirrel.com/msconfig/

Best Reguards,
bjkg

I did the restore, reinstalled Mcafee so it works, then reinstalled Clonedvd2 and it finally works. Thanks for all the help.