CloneDVD- will burn +RW not -R

Trying to burn an ISO DVD backup onto blank media using CloneDVD.

Ripped the DVD using DVDecrypter to an ISO image. Burn using CloneDVD.

I tested using a +RW disc, giving a successfull burn that worked fine in my stand-alone player.

I then used a -R disc, it stopped burning at 69%.
Had to reboot to get the disc out.

I tried again with a +RW, and again it worked perfectly. I rebooted and tried another -R. Again it failed, this time at 70%.

why o why is CloneDVD creating these (expensive) coasters?

Pioneer 106 burner.
Pioneer DVD-R 4x media
Laser DVD+RW 4x media
Lastest CloneDVD on XP.

From what we’ve seen lately on the site, it’s because you have a 106 :stuck_out_tongue: It hates -R media at the moment

This may help

Originally posted by FutureProof
[B]From what we’ve seen lately on the site, it’s because you have a 106 :stuck_out_tongue: It hates -R media at the moment

This may help [/B]

Actually I thought it was +r that the 106 and cloneDVD had problems with. Anyhow if upgrading the firmware doesnt help, I would suggest trying a different program other than cloneDVD if possible.

I will try the new firmware, in the meantime I will be using the RW media as much as possible.

I would guess CloneDVD isn’t helping…as I have successfully burnt data to one of these same -R Pioneer branded discs earlier using Nero.

thanks all.

Originally posted by Leopard
[B]I will try the new firmware, in the meantime I will be using the RW media as much as possible.

I would guess CloneDVD isn’t helping…as I have successfully burnt data to one of these same -R Pioneer branded discs earlier using Nero.

thanks all. [/B]

There is a known problem between CloneDVD and the Pioneer 106D. It will be fixed in CloneDVD 1.3.x.x, coming really soon.

Yes, indeed there is a problem between CloneDVD and Pioneer 106D, i have more detais of this issue, i hope this helps to solve it.

I only have +R and +RW media so i haven´t tried to reproduce the problem on -R and -RW media.

The problem i have only happens on certain DVD-Movies, last rime it happened the movies were “Clockwork Orange” (Full DVD copy) and “Ememy at the Gates” (Main movie only copy). i transcoded this movies (and the other ones) to an ISO image on the HD, when i burned the movies on +R media with cloneDVD all movies worked all right except the two i mentioned before, the full-Coaster produced was unreadable in any kind of dvd reader, (PS2, XBOX, PC DVD-ROM, DVD player) it was like they were blank DVD+R’s.

If i burn those movies to a +RW they work really well, but when burned to +R, the result is a massive-coaster.

When i look at the reading area of these coasters they have a thing in common, if i look carefully i can see that very very very near of the begining of the written DVD+R (at 1 mm from the beginning of the “burned zone”) there are a couple of “rings” where the DVD+R seems not to be burned, (in correct burns on the same media i can’t see that) it seems that a gap is produced after the Lead-In or something like this.

But the problem is not on the ISOS because if i burn those ISOs using Nero, the burn is perfect, even i can mount these images in a virtual drive and burn them using nero again putting the files from the virtual drive to a DVD video compilation.

So i think there’s a problem between CloneDVD and Pioneer DVR-106D burning on +R media.

Good luck solving the problem.

Originally posted by Sauron-Jin
[B]
So i think there’s a problem between CloneDVD and Pioneer DVR-106D burning on +R media.

[/B]

I can confirm this. The next update will solve this.

Guys,

I am using AnyDVD and CloneDVD version 1.2.8.4 and I have a Pioneer A06U DVD Burner.

Here is my success rating when burning DVD movies:

For +R media:

• TDK 4x +R media - 40% Success rate
  • Verbatim 4X +R media - 40% Success rate
  • Memorex 4X +R media - 60% Success rate

For -R media:

• TDK 2.4x -R media - 100% Success rate
  • Princo 4x -R media - 100% Success rate
  • Princo 1x to 4x -R media - 100% Success rate
  • Verbatim 4x -R media - 100% Success rate

The choice is quite obvious that if you are using a Pioneer A06U (106D) you should use only -R media. I have yet to make a coaster with -R media.

Might I also suggest Princo 4x -R media - they run about $24 for a 25Pk and $85 for a 100Pk - and they work fantastic.

Thanks,

Mayor

I tried burning the ISO using Nero, and again it failed.

One thing I did notice, I was burning at 4x in Nero (CloneDVD doesn’t have speed options I could find).

So I did a few things:

1. updated firmware to the latest available
  2. stopped my folding@home client
  3. changed to 1x speed burning

I have finally burnt a sccuessful DVD.

I now intend to try 2x speed, then 4x speed again.

It is quite possible that my burner is stopping die to overheating - I have a Shuttle SN45G, with 2 hard drives directly under the burner. Turning off the folding client reduced the system temps by about 5 degrees Celsuis… :eek:

Originally posted by Mayor
Guys,
The choice is quite obvious that if you are using a Pioneer A06U (106D) you should use only -R media. I have yet to make a coaster with -R media.

With the next update, you should get a 100% success rate with +R media as well :smiley:

Olli,

Are you speaking of the 1.07 Firmware upgrade? The reason I ask is that both 1.06 and 1.07 versions both do not mention any fixes for +R media burning.

See the details below:

DVR-A06/106 Firmware Update Information

**Version: 1.07
Posted 20/9/2003
DVD-RW Writability Improvement
2X DVD-R Writability Improvement
DVD Playability Improvement

**Version: 1.06 (V1.07 also includes the following)
Posted 20/7/2003
4x DVD-R Writability Improvement
2x DVD-RW Playability Improvement
Defect Management (DRT-DM) Improvement

Thanks,

Mayor

Originally posted by Mayor
[B]Olli,

Are you speaking of the 1.07 Firmware upgrade? The reason I ask is that both 1.06 and 1.07 versions both do not mention any fixes for +R media burning.
[/B]

No, I am speaking of the next CloneDVD update (Version 1.3.x.x), available really soon.
Didn’t want to tease you, just wanted to make clear, that it is not the media which is faulty, it is not a Pioneer problem, it is not a CloneDVD problem, it is a Pioneer together with CloneDVD problem.

I tried burning the ISO using Nero, and again it failed.

Instead of this, try to mount the image produced with CLoneDVD in a virtual drive (daemon tools or the one from Alcohol 120%) and then make a DVD-Movie compilation in nero and use the files from the virtual drive as source files (make sure to disable caching of removable drives to the HD on the preferences menu of nero, it will take a lot caching the files and is not necessary for a virtual drive)

Using this method i have burn dozens of movies on +R media without any problem and at any speed.

you said burning the iso image with nero caused a coaster too, maybe the image made by CloneDVD has the problem built-in, buth with my sollution you avoid this problem because you dont use the image to burn directly.

A real life example: when i tried to backup “enemy at the doors” and “Clockwork Orange” on cheap Suki +R media with CloneDVD, the results were 3 coasters on +R media and a success on +RW media, then i followed the process i described before (mount image into alcohol virtual drive and make a DVD-movie compilation in nero), then burn at max speed on the same +R media and SUCCESS. since then no coasters were made using this method.

[B]One thing I did notice, I was burning at 4x in Nero (CloneDVD doesn’t have speed options I could find).

So I did a few things:

1. updated firmware to the latest available
  2. stopped my folding@home client
  3. changed to 1x speed burning

I have finally burnt a sccuessful DVD.
[/B]

I think this has nothing to do with the problem, the last firmware has no changes (officially) over +R media, Folding@home has nothing to do since it doesn´t cause buffer underruns when burning on fast machines with DMA activated, and burning at 1X, this may only help if you are using very, very bad media.

BTW, you may want to flash your drive with this hacked firmware from >NIL, it offers 2X recording speed for all 1X media, 12X movie rip speed for all pressed DVD’s, and of course it makes the drive RPC-1, in other words, A MUST HAVE (i have it flashed and works like a charm)

Pioneer DVR-106D v1.07 RPC-1 + 2xDVD-R + 12xRip By >NIL

Cheers!

Originally posted by Sauron-Jin
you said burning the iso image with nero caused a coaster too, maybe the image made by CloneDVD has the problem built-in, buth with my sollution you avoid this problem because you dont use the image to burn directly.

I will try this out, thanks.

[B]

I think this has nothing to do with the problem, the last firmware has no changes (officially) over +R media
[/B]

didn’t hurt to try I guess :wink:

[B]

Folding@home has nothing to do since it doesn´t cause buffer underruns when burning on fast machines with DMA activated, and burning at 1X, this may only help if you are using very, very bad media.

Cheers! [/B]

Heat can be a problem in my case - you can’t get much smaller than a shuttle…with 2x 7200rpm drives right under the burner, and folding giving 100% cpu usage, the case temp was around 48C.

Media shouldn’t have been a problem, it was Pioneer’s own 4x -R discs in individual jewel cases.

Originally posted by Olli
No, I am speaking of the next CloneDVD update (Version 1.3.x.x), available really soon.

Having a Pioneer DVR-106D for review and having in beta test the latest beta release of CloneDVD, I can confirm that the problem is solved and all works very fine. No coasters for me.

Owners of DVR-106D, be patient the next official version of CloneDVD will be very interesting :slight_smile: :wink:

Originally posted by SEB [BH]

Owners of DVR-106D, be patient the next official version of CloneDVD will be very interesting :slight_smile: :wink:

Not only DVR-106D owners, the next CloneDVD has some major impovements like the big one “getting rid of the grey” (finally!!!) and “speed control”!

Not only DVR-106D owners

Of course :wink:

(but this post was dedicated in priority to DVR-106D owners it’s why I talk to them)

Not only DVR-106D owners, the next CloneDVD has some major impovements like the big one “getting rid of the grey” (finally!!!) and “speed control”!

Yeeehaw! great news!!!, I don’t know what is “getting rid of the grey” but must be cool (I´m Spanish) :smiley: :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue:

BTW i can sugest some improvements :wink:

• That CloneDVD automaticall takes the label from the Original DVD in the last step of the process.

• A Ultra-High Quality transcoding mode, no matter if it takes 2 or 3 hours transcoding, i’m a HQ freak :wink:

Cheers!

When will the new version arrive?
Will it remove the layer-break?
Are there any improvements in the transcoding engine?

Jarod

Originally posted by Jarod666
[B]When will the new version arrive?
Will it remove the layer-break?
Are there any improvements in the transcoding engine?

Jarod [/B]

Soon, no, only bugfixes.
The new transcoding engine is not ready for this release.