CloneDVD: whas it worth the wait?

vbimport

Well the title says it all.

Did Olli do a good job or could he used his time for better things?

And when you vote, could you please explain your vote.

Good, but expensive considering it isn’t a 1 shot solution and there are other, cheaper products out there that produce as good as or better backups.

I’m sure in another 3 revs things will be looking much better and it might be worth spending the money on it if it’s about $10 less.

A little too much eye candy for my taste. Video quality is somewhat lacking, but I’m sure that can be improved, otherwise not a bad layout of features.

It’s four/five-click capability is a plus.

IFO handling is superb.

Out of the 50 or so DVD titles I own, there are only a few badly mastered titles that need a little playing before I can rip using a tray-filter daemon. Tomb Raider, Pulp Fiction and Pitch Black were pigs and Greek Wedding was a dog. Got 'em in the end though.

Some ripping apps don’t get the size right and CloneDVD sits quite dumb on the write screen before you realise what’s happening. This’ll be fixed.

The CloneDVD VOB rips play in PowerDVD and WinDVD alike. Some other apps do something wrong and the VOBs are unplayable.

It has the easiest main movie, ID-feature I’ve seen. Some apps have you swimming in BUPs, IFOs and VOBs for hours.

Audio and other stream selection is dead-easy.

What you pick gets fitted onto a 4.377 GB disc. Pick just the main movie and AC3 over DTS and picture quality is superb. Pick too much and quality suffers somewhere. Where possible, I pick the main movie and DTS - haven’t been disappointed yet!

Picking too much is a problem - it’s just silly to clone an entire 5-9GB disc, or even larger!

FutureProof, what do you mean by a tray-filter daemon?

I also found that CloneDVD makes better compatible discs.

Some DVD that I had problems with navigation using other software are The Animatrix, Spy Kids 2 and Tomb Raider. CloneDVD does em perfect.

>FutureProof, what do you mean by a tray-filter daemon?

It’s a tool for decrypting on the fly. A daemon, sits innocuously often in the system/notfication tray and ‘filters’!

Well i voted worth waiting and it is the best because I only had to read 1 post on how to backup a dvd and now I am backing up a movie. Way to good Ollie.

Originally posted by FutureProof
[B]>FutureProof, what do you mean by a tray-filter daemon?

It’s a tool for decrypting on the fly. A daemon, sits innocuously often in the system/notfication tray and ‘filters’! [/B]

I knew I was going to get a silly answer :bigsmile: !

Where can I get the tool that decrypts DVD on the fly?

I have never heard of such a tool.

I asked Ollie about, guessin about such a thing in this thread…
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=71068

And you responded too like you knew hehe! I suspect this is what you are referring to, and is maybe beta software of some sort and if that’s the case then it is most likely not publicly available.

Originally posted by IntestineMan
…and is maybe beta software of some sort and if that’s the case then it is most likely not publicly available.
Yes, no. I hope the answer wasn’t too silly :stuck_out_tongue:

I bought the app as soon as I saw it was out on cdfreaks. I tell you this. At the moment it’s worth the money but it’s not spectacular… in other words it gets the job done. However consider how stable it is from release 1 and also considering the Elby group’s work on past applications (CloneCD) I think there is much to come in the future that will make this a great if not fabulous purchase :). Most of all (because of the skill of the Elby programmers) it’s a program that I feel confortable that it will be around for a while and able to handle whatever new tricks the movie industry throws their way. In one way or another.

// swede_242

i have to say i’ve used both clonedvd and dvd2one and to me dvd2one wins hands down on the quality aspect.ok clonedvd has nice menus and easy to work but unless they improve the final picture quality i’ll stick to dvd2one

Originally posted by fakerbaker
…clonedvd has nice menus and easy to work but unless they improve the final picture quality i’ll stick to dvd2one
Are you copying the whole disc? Or just the main movie and audio? I can’t tell the difference between original and backup!

I have made some backups with CloneDVD, InstantCopy 7 and DVD2One and I can say that the best of the three is CloneDVD, BUT it is missing something that InstantCopy do: show the size of the stream or title you are removing/keeping. Also IC7 reports a percentage of compression, it is nice info because you can decide if you want to keep more titles or streams or continue removing.
Hope Ollie could add these 2 features to CloneDVD, I think those are the only things missing on this great tool.
George.

i copied the whole disc but the movie wasn’t excessivelly big 6.4gb both times stripping out the unwanted audio and clone dvd produced a far more grainy picture to my mind than doing the same with dvd2one.