CloneDVD Speak Preview & K19

vbimport

The transcoding of CloneDVD’s first few seconds on the movie, K19, was terrible. There was a very noticeable pixelation at the opening scene of the movie. It seems as though the scene was overly compressed. I think it’s a bug b/c when I transcode it with DVDshrink the movie came out perfect.

Just for kicks I pulled out my original of K-19 this afternoon and loaded it into my Plextor 708A. I used CloneDVD new sneak preview and included the entire movie, all special features and all languages and the quality meter told me 48%…a high compression rate by any standard. I burned this to a DVD +RW and observed the results through my Panasonic RP-91 progressive scan player to a Hitachi TWX20B 57 inch RPTV. I found the film to be very very good with no noticeable macroblocking at normal viewing distances. In some places in the first few minutes of the film if I froze the image and moved close to within a foot or so I could see some blocking…but to be truthful I can see some of this on the original as well. I used a DEll computer with 320 megs RAM pentium 3 866 processor and a Plextor 708. K-19 also using CloneDVD sneak peak with menus preserved but all extra features stripped out and all languages save English DD5.1 came to 77% on the meter. Thats nearly a thirty percent improvement. I’d say CloneDVD sneak peak is an OK product. I am sure most of us in this forum would normally strip out the special features and would likely remove all languages and subtitles not native to our own country. Nonetheless CloneDVD did a very acceptable job of compressing the hell out of K-19 and pruducing a very watchable filmlike experience. Results might well vary on larger front projection screens.

Originally posted by burke55
Just for kicks I pulled out my original of K-19 this afternoon and loaded it into my Plextor 708A. I used CloneDVD new sneak preview and included the entire movie, all special features and all languages and the quality meter told me 48%…a high compression rate by any standard. I burned this to a DVD +RW and observed the results through my Panasonic RP-91 progressive scan player to a Hitachi TWX20B 57 inch RPTV. I found the film to be very very good with no noticeable macroblocking at normal viewing distances. In some places in the first few minutes of the film if I froze the image and moved close to within a foot or so I could see some blocking…but to be truthful I can see some of this on the original as well. I used a DEll computer with 320 megs RAM pentium 3 866 processor and a Plextor 708. K-19 also using CloneDVD sneak peak with menus preserved but all extra features stripped out and all languages save English DD5.1 came to 77% on the meter. Thats nearly a thirty percent improvement. I’d say CloneDVD sneak peak is an OK product. I am sure most of us in this forum would normally strip out the special features and would likely remove all languages and subtitles not native to our own country. Nonetheless CloneDVD did a very acceptable job of compressing the hell out of K-19 and pruducing a very watchable filmlike experience. Results might well vary on larger front projection screens.

Thanks for your findings. What I meant about the pixelations at the opening scene is that there were some very unusual horizontal lines appeared across the film. I did not see them when the movie was transcoded with DVDShrink. The pixelation occurred at the opening scene where the text, “For twenty-eight years this story could not be told.” appears. They (the pixelations) also appeared in the studio logo of “Intermedia.” The rest of the movie was fine. This is the first movie that gave me this weird problem using CloneDVD sneak peak. Anyway, I didn’t mean to give the impression that transcode quality was not up to par with DVDShrink.

Interesting. I saw no sign of those lines at any point in the film…I know you were not dissin CloneDVD. Just for kicks try using cloneDVD again with a DVD +RW and see if it happens twice. If not then some anomaly with your system occured during the first instance.