Clonedvd percentage quality

Ok… if I bring up my vob files to transcode and it says its gonna be say “77% quality”… then I go to the next page and “uncheck” certain options… like dts sound… directors comments… and maybe even AC/2 sound… now when I step backwards… my percentage hasn’t changed?..

so the question is… have I simply removed some features without increasing quality… (It appears the disk is not quite fully burned by visually looking), or is it just a bug and it doesn’t show you that he quality is now going to be higher?..

why give us a percentage bar if we are helpless to alter its level?..

thanks for any insight… I love clonedvd, but this is the only nusience for me…
thanks…:frowning:

> or is it just a bug and it doesn’t show you that he quality is now going to be higher?.. <

It is not a bug, it is unfortunately “annoying by design”.
CloneDVD 1.4.x.x will have a better solution.

Originally posted by Olli
>It is not a bug, it is unfortunately “annoying by design”.
CloneDVD 1.4.x.x will have a better solution.

Did I miss something? Where´s 1.3.x.x??? :stuck_out_tongue:

Jarod

Hi Olli… thanks for replying…

Thats somewhat comforting…

But since you have some insight into clonedvd… can you tell me if for now whether I can trust the meter?.. or should it in reality raise to highter levels on the next page when I delete options?

YOu would think the obvious answer would be “of course it raises stupid!”, but I’m paranoid that it may simply “remove”
the options I choose to remove, but leave the quality the same as indicated?.. If this were true… I would call that a bug?..
And I would be removing things for no good reason… only to have the same size cd and less options?

thanks…

> Did I miss something? Where´s 1.3.x.x???

Sitting in QA (Quality Assurance), waiting for release…

> But since you have some insight into clonedvd… can you tell me if for now whether I can trust the meter?.. or should it in reality raise to highter levels on the next page when I delete options? <

It should raise, of course.

> And I would be removing things for no good reason… only to have the same size cd and less options? <

This would be pretty useless. CloneDVD manages (pretty well, I might say) to fill the disc completely. Exception: Selected material is “too small”, CloneDVD will not make any material “bigger” to fit the disc.

thanks for answering my question… that gives me reinforcement to opt to delete any unneeded items on backups less than 100%:wink:

I don’t have knowledge, nor do I know how much of a nightmare it would be to have a future version that could analyze its compression scheme on an “existing backup” and tell what percent quality it is from the original?..

I understand the original may not be availiable… but since clonedvd had to compress it… it may be able to intelligently tell “based on the compression factors” how far it had to go from the original based on its own algorithyms?

this would allow users “like myself” to go back and reliably and accurately tell what quality all my backups are!:slight_smile:

It would be a cool tool if they could factor it in…
However I understand if that is too big of a request at this time…

I know of no other software that can do this… And i also understand that if they could do it… it would most likely only be accurate with clonedvd backups.
thanks…

Looks like this 1.3.9.8 is still doing the same thing>>>> But Olli says it will be better in the 1.4X version…

Its an annyoance to cut directors comments etc and then when you step back a step to see the effect your changes had on the progress bar… nothing has happened?.. you can even kill everything!.. all the audio… and again it makes no difference to the progress bar?..

Another thing… is clonedvd going to give us a way to see how fast the burn is going… or even what the final burn speed was?

I really feel like I’m flying blind.
thanks…

It’s marketed as Lazy Software for Lazy People. Remember that and comapre it to, say, IC8 where you can play with just about anything.

There is also a suggestions to Olli thread, which is also read by other members of the team like armin.

Originally posted by FutureProof
It’s marketed as Lazy Software for Lazy People.

“Working Software for Lazy People” :slight_smile:

Most software has to market that way to accomodate… not so much “lazy” people… but those who will just foul things up if you give them the controls…

Most software has wizards for those people and then you can disable the wizard for those who wish to customize?

Why build a car with no instrument guages when you can have both?

I thought it was “Lazy software - for Working people” :slight_smile:

Originally posted by windstrings
[B]Most software has to market that way to accomodate… not so much “lazy” people… but those who will just foul things up if you give them the controls…

Most software has wizards for those people and then you can disable the wizard for those who wish to customize?

Why build a car with no instrument guages when you can have both? [/B]

Hey, there must always be some room for improvement for CloneDVD 2, 3, 4 … :slight_smile:

Originally posted by windstrings
[B]
Its an annyoance to cut directors comments etc and then when you step back a step to see the effect your changes had on the progress bar… nothing has happened?.. you can even kill everything!.. all the audio… and again it makes no difference to the progress bar?..

I really feel like I’m flying blind.
thanks… [/B]

Concerning the audio size computation:

To make it right, CloneDVD needs to prescan some parts of the DVD video (VOB) files. This process may take a few seconds (up to 90 for some more complex titles, much longer if the source files are not located on a harddrive). We initially considered this to be annoying, making the software ‘unsnappy’ to use.

Well, no excuses here, the issue is known and we have a conceptual solution ready, supporting both usability aspects. The implementation is scheduled for CloneDVD 1.4.

Originally posted by armin
(…) The implementation is scheduled for CloneDVD 1.4.

Hey, maybe version “1.3.9.8” means that
we won’t have to wait too long for version 1.4? Only 0.0.0.2 is missing! :wink: :wink: :wink:

Regards, ET.