CloneDVD Mobile Vob passthrough & subtitles

I use the Vob passthrough feature of CloneDVD mobile to convert an dvd to a single .vob file.

This works great as I can rename the file to .mpg and use it as one big mpeg2 file. My problem is that even when selecting the subtitles option in the UI, there are never any subtitles encoded into the resulting file.

Does this work for anyone? or does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

The subtiltes are in the .vob file, but they are not superimposed into the video as with .avi or mp4. To superimpose subtitles the video data needs to be decoded and re-encoded to mpeg2 which won’t be a “passthrough” anymore (it would take much longer).
It should be possible to create a mpeg2 profile in devices.ini so mpeg2 would be decoded and re-encoded, but because of “lack of interest” I have never tried.

I think there is no ‘lack of interest’ at all. Personally I think a lot of people are desperately seeking this functionality, especially people who’s native language isn’t english! :slight_smile: So please if it’s possible to add this functionality to an already awesome product please do! I wouldn’t mind waiting a lot longer if the end result is a single vob with hardcoded subs. Many thanks!

I’m still trying to find an easy way to get my dvd’s with subtitles though my mediacenter extender. This could be the answer!

I have been experimenting with this. By creating a new entry in Devices.ini with the following information:
[Generic (MPG)]
Res1=320x240
Res2=480x360
Res3=640x480
Res4=720x540
ResAna1=320x180
ResAna2=480x270
ResAna3=640x360
ResAna4=720x404
ResAna5=852x480
AllowNativeTVResolution=1
VCodec=mpeg2video
lavcopts=vcodec=mpeg2video:acodec=ac3
VTag=mpeg2video
Acodec=ac3
ARate=48000
ABRate=192
MVolume=10
Format=lavf
lavfopts=format=mpg
FileType=mpg
Quality=23
useMencoder=1
SubTitle=1
MaxVBitrate=3000

This creates an mpg movie that plays fine in Media Player Classic(with Subtitles!) but wont play in Windows Media Player (no image, no sound but no errors reported). Not sure why this is.
My source is a ripped DVD with ac3 audio. I know that libavcodec (which is used by Mencoder which, in turn, is used by CloneDVDMobile) supports copying of the ac3 soundrack rather than re-encoding it but I havent figured out whether it is possible to access this option by editing the Devices.ini

Anyway, hopefully this information may help someone to investigate further. It seems that getting CloneDVDMobile to produce full quality MP2 files with subtitles and ac3 audio is ‘almost’ possible.

If we (or Slysoft!) can get this working then we can have subtitled movies that will stream to Media Center Extenders (i.e. Xbox 360) which is, surely, going to make CloneDVDmobile a must have solution for a whole new set of customers!