CloneDVD is brilliant

vbimport

Just like l said, its brilliant. l can now backup DVDs and play them on my LG and Pioneer players. Before when l used DVD2one it wouldnt let me play any backups on many players. Including my friends Phillips and Sony players aswell.
l love the quality it does also…

G8 work and l thankyou for doing such a g8 job with the software.
To me it was well worth the wait.

Great work to the guys at www.elby.ch

Shrekka:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

It’s so great that it’s on the last place on doom9org? :slight_smile:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?threadid=55906&highlight=CloneDVD

I have only problems with the software untill now…

there is nothing unusual for CDfreaks site for everyone to bag the hell out of new DVD backing up software…
A lot of people bagged the hell out of DVDV2one when it came out, now its the “be all that ends all…”

l must admit DVD2one is good and l praise it…But after seeing what l can do with CloneDVD, and l am very impressed with the results l am getting…
Wot used to take me 3 steps for backing up now takes me 2 steps.

Shrekka

I like CloneDVD also. I think the quality is as good, if not a bit better than DVD2One. It is so good I am going to register it.

What is very important, when doing a full-disc transcode, is how the resulting DVD layout is preserved and how it functions compared to the original DVD - whether there are any issues with menu navigation etc. I have tried them all and here is my list on what program retains the most compatible dvd layout when doing a full backup:

CloneDVD (Elby)
DVD2One
Pinnacle InstantCopy
DVDShrink
DVD95Copy

DVDShrink would be number one if it had option to compress the video titles more so one could fit all the audio tracks on. Since it cannot do this, it is not capable of transcoding a full DVD correctly (all the other programs can).

DVD95Copy has issues that I just don’t feel like getting into.

The best program I believe to do movie-only is DVDShrink, because it is very flexible in the way you can stack and order mutliple titles if necessary, trim titles etc. CloneDVD would be next choice because it offers more flexibility than DVD2One. DVD2One really needs a preview feature to be more competitive. This really helps when doing movie-only to make sure you get the correct title.

Originally posted by IntestineMan
DVDShrink would be number one if it had option to compress the video titles more so one could fit all the audio tracks on. Since it cannot do this, it is not capable of transcoding a full DVD correctly (all the other programs can).

Beavis, it’s free software. I wouldn’t bitch too much. It does a hell of a job for what it costs.

Your compatibility issues are probably tied to the application you use to burn your DVD’s and not DVD2ONE. I have used DVD2ONE and Ulead Movie Factory to back up many titles and they are all compatible with any stand-alone DVd player I or others have tried them in. They also work flawlessly on the PS2.

I’ve heard that the demo version requires that you use a seperate program to decrypt the DVD first.

Does the FULL version of CloneDVD allow 1:1 copying? Can someone enlighten me on this? Thanks!

I am not bitchin…

I see many others post how DVDShrink is greatest program ever, which it is very good program and I agree for most-part, but it still can be improved! I think I said more good things about DVDShrink than bad, if you took time to read.

Originally posted by tazdevl
[B]

Beavis, it’s free software. I wouldn’t bitch too much. It does a hell of a job for what it costs. [/B]

Originally posted by Wallysaurus
Your compatibility issues are probably tied to the application you use to burn your DVD’s and not DVD2ONE. I have used DVD2ONE and Ulead Movie Factory to back up many titles and they are all compatible with any stand-alone DVD player I or others have tried them in. They also work flawlessly on the PS2.

Well obviously you have not tried a stand-alone that has problems. I can play these “problem DVDs” fine in many stand-alones too!

I should clarify here that probably 95% of players will play the DVDs correctly and it is just a few that show the navigations issues. My Toshiba SD5109 is one of those, and a few others have problems too. Go look at the Animatrix threads in DVD2One forum and see how DVD2One does not backup the DVD correctly for that particular player, but other programs do.

Now this is an issue that is very hard to convince most people because like I said, most people will not have a problem and they think that people who do are crazy! You just have to take my word on this.

Originally posted by IntestineMan
[B]

Well obviously you have not tried a stand-alone that has problems. I can play these “problem DVDs” fine in many stand-alones too!
[/B]

CloneDVD was developed specifically with stand alone player compatibiliy in mind, and professional tools like Philips’ DVD Verifier and UDF Verifier were used for quality assurance.

Unfortunately this still doesn’t really guarantee 100% success, but I’m happy to hear that in your case it was worth the effort.

Not all standalones are created equal.

There are some DVD titles that come from the store and don’t work in some standalones - although that is happening less and less as the format matures.

At any rate, I think CloneDVD is quite nice, and wait to see what Olli has in store. I don’t mind running DeCSS…err… I mean DVD Decryptor first, so long as the end result is a better movie.

As for DVDShrink, my major complaint about it is that it doesn’t have variable compression. Often, a level 2 compression will make the movie a WEE BIT too big to fit on a DVD-5, but a level 3 will make it only take up 3.3 gigs! I’d like a little more flexibility in that area, and also as someone else mentioned the ability to squish just a little more in order to fit audio. :wink:

All these programs have their place, their ups and downs. DVD burning is a black art right now, much like CD burning was a few years back.

In a couple years, we’ll have idiot-proof programs that will let you put in a DVD of any type (audio, video, data) and copy it. But until then, we’re stuck with the “running a dozen programs that all do essentially the same thing” hell. This is a nice addition to my collection, and I’ll probably actually buy it at some point - much as I did with CloneCD.

• Gurm

Originally posted by Copy Lord
[B]I’ve heard that the demo version requires that you use a seperate program to decrypt the DVD first.

Does the FULL version of CloneDVD allow 1:1 copying? Can someone enlighten me on this? Thanks! [/B]

No cloneDVD wont do this full version or demo, this is due to legal reasons of course.
@ Gurm
You already have that in the software called DCS ! No third party software needed at all to make a full copy !

Originally posted by An Chang
[B]It’s so great that it’s on the last place on doom9org? :slight_smile:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?threadid=55906&highlight=CloneDVD

I have only problems with the software untill now… [/B]

Clone DVD has just rls, i remember when CloneCD first came out, it wasnt the greatest, once they impoved and killed out the bugs, it is now the best, maby or hopefully CloneDVD will turn out the same, but who knows anything can happen.

Originally posted by Gurm
[B]
As for DVDShrink, my major complaint about it is that it doesn’t have variable compression. Often, a level 2 compression will make the movie a WEE BIT too big to fit on a DVD-5, but a level 3 will make it only take up 3.3 gigs!

DVDShrink 2.3 is out in case you weren’t aware.

mrbass forgot to mention DVDShrink has 10 lvls of compression from 5% to 50%, plus still picture @ 85%, to satisfy the most anal user. There’s no difference between the original and compressed movie until you reach 35-40% compression.

Mr Bass (r u a fish?)

well l have to say l prefer CloneDVD that DVDshrink and DVD2one.
l have used all 3 bits of software.This software (CloneDVD)has not disappointed me from day one since its release the other week…l have now more DVD players that l can use my backed up disks on that ever before…

Shrekka:confused:

most anal user

what kind of user??? :o

I like the nice interface of clone-dvd…but it would be great if it was possible to have it all in one interface.
I mean…when you have clone-cd…and you install clonedvd…that both get the same interface.

But that is just a wish…

Originally posted by shrekka
there is nothing unusual for CDfreaks site for everyone to bag the hell out of new DVD backing up software…
A lot of people bagged the hell out of DVDV2one when it came out, now its the “be all that ends all…”

DVD2One has never been the “be all that ends all…” since other programs came out to compete with it

the only field for me that DVD2One is the leader is the Speed department

like I have mentioned all programs are the best in certain fields but some are higher placed than others and for me personally CloneDVD & DVD2One are below DVD95Copy & DVDShrink in my most important depts. Quality is the most important field for myself cos I don’t care whether it rips/burns, takes 2 clicks and does the job in nanominutes especially if the quality suffers for it

I guess it’s just down to preferences and at the moment CloneDVD ain’t brilliant in my eyes

DVDShrink is the best all rounder at the mo for me (even tho I dont use it but I’ve tested it), but again that’s my opinion and others will agree and disagree :stuck_out_tongue:

I guess we’ll always get differences of opinion cos it’s human nature :smiley:

Hello there

everyone is entitled to there opinion…
But for what l have seen CloneDVD can do compared to DVD2one and DVDshrink, is g8.
At least now l can play my movies on more DVD players than ever before. Where with DVDShrink and DVD2one l can only play on the cheapo under $200 players. My sister inlaw and my mates DVD players cannot play any movies on there system using DVD2one or DVDshrink. But CloneDVD backed up movies can now play on their players…

:stuck_out_tongue:

DVD Shrink doesn’t do the burning as its only purpose is to compress the original DVD to fit on a 4.38GB DVDR disc. What were you using to burn the files onto the DVDR discs? 'Cause I have no problem playing my DVD Shrinked movies using Nero as the burn application on “expensive” Sony stand alones.