Clonedvd Help. Backups play error

I have been using Clonedvd 2 for years now, but I have run into problems with it lately. When I try to “backup” movies, it compresses it to fit onto a standard dvd+r (the kind i have been using for a long time). the whole process goes smooth, but when i try to play these movies, my players tell me to try cleaning the disc. on one dvd player, it will go to the menu but when i try to play it, the disc begins skipping. the movies that i copied were somewhat scratched, but if they were too scratched wouldn’t they not read when being copied by clonedvd. im using sony dvd+r’s and the latest version of clonedvd and anydvd. the dvd’s that i tried to copy play fine when i play the originals on the tv. i have compressed many other movies in the past before, but i began to run into this problem now. please help.

First signs of problems in skipping means your burning to fast or mutitasking when you should let the burning process alone and not use the computer.

Thank you. How do i change the maximum speed of writing for my optical drive in clonedvd? What is the maximum speed that I should be writing at? I am using a plextor px-760a, if that means anything useful. I never knew multitasking can affect writing quality, but multiple disks were affecting at different times when i was copying different movies.

The screenshot will show you where to go to adjust the burn speed.

Here is a thread worth reading regarding burning speed:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f33/slow-write-speeds-modern-drives-modern-media-no-good-247643/

There are many threads that address the issue of repairing scratched discs as that is a major source of your problems.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f34/repair-scratched-cds-261100/

Regarding multitasking when burning: If your system is relatively new and powerful enought to handle it, you can probably multitask. However, CPU intensive tasks like recoding a movie is probably not advisable.

Regarding media, try using Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden as they are generally recognized as the best.

wow that screen shots blinded me … lol… but nice shot…I like smaller screen shot but yours is way big…guess each to their own…and as usual I do get late back responding not that I don’t want to but jeff beat me to the speed setting. The screen shot jeff posted should be where you change the speed of the burn…but the safe way is usually half burn speed from the media rated speed. So like 16x I would go 8x…sometimes I go lower but as Jeff said your system should be of reliable performance to do when burning with resource intensive program.

So would multitasking be the only circumstance that would create faulty writing sessions? It happened multiple times so I am not sure if it is completely because of it, but i was heavily running the cpu for atleast one of the faulty dvd copies. I was using winamp, antivirus scan, firefox and clonedvd at the same time. could there be any other possibilities for faulty clonedvd sessions, or do you think that when it creates an iso image, that the image could become faulty as well.

It could be your burner is wearing out .
Do you have another burner you could try?

[QUOTE=sgwerk;2199108]So would multitasking be the only circumstance that would create faulty writing sessions? It happened multiple times so I am not sure if it is completely because of it, but i was heavily running the cpu for atleast one of the faulty dvd copies. I was using winamp, antivirus scan, firefox and clonedvd at the same time. could there be any other possibilities for faulty clonedvd sessions, or do you think that when it creates an iso image, that the image could become faulty as well.[/QUOTE]

Well running winamp and FF will cause drain on the memory that the CPU will need for doing the process it is like buffer underun problem not enough buff for the CPU to do it’s process. Now AV should be automatically running cause I have my AV running but it doesn’t cause bad burns…only if I run apps that use CPU and memory and HDD to do their process conflicting with the CPU burning program process. Also how old is your burner as cholla a old or dying burner can also cause problem without you knowing it. And the another factor is bad media type or media of low grade quality will cause bad burns and burns that look good but doesn’t play well.

My burner is about 3 and a half years old. It is my only optical drive and gets moderate use. The model is PX-760A and is made by Plextor. I use sony dvd+r’s but once they run out, i will switch over to taiyo yuden dvd’s. I tested my backupped dvd collection and about 5 dvd’s had writing errors. I am going to recopy these movies to test if it was the multitasking.