CloneDVD error 'illegal startcode of block...'

vbimport

#1

Hello eveyone!

I’m using AnyDVD 2.0.0.4 and CloneDVD 1.2.8.4 to backup ‘The Transporter’ (UK edition)

When writing from DVD to HD I get the error ‘Illegal startcode of block (PS 10 VOBU 4 923859 224 TC)’.

I’ve had this error three times at the same moment (around 45% of writing to HD)

I’ve managed to succefully backup other DVD movies using this setup.

Any help/solutions welcome.


#2

It looks like a new error to me, I haven’t seen it. The author of the program keeps a watch - stay tuned!


#3

Originally posted by Hrodbern
[B]Hello eveyone!

I’m using AnyDVD 2.0.0.4 and CloneDVD 1.2.8.4 to backup ‘The Transporter’ (UK edition)

When writing from DVD to HD I get the error ‘Illegal startcode of block (PS 10 VOBU 4 923859 224 TC)’.

I’ve had this error three times at the same moment (around 45% of writing to HD)

I’ve managed to succefully backup other DVD movies using this setup.

Any help/solutions welcome. [/B]

It looks like the DVD has a read error, and AnyDVD doesn’t propagate the error code correctly…
But to shed some light on this, do a little test:

Try to drag and drop the VIDEO_TS Folder to your harddisk.
Did this work? If yes, try CloneDVD on this folder. Did this work?


#4

Hi,

I get the same error, using anyDVD and CloneDVD
You can drag the files of DVD to hard drive with no Problem, and burn using CloneDVD

But use CloneDVD to do the Work. with AnyDVD then

My Pioneer 120s will throw up, the error code above if its a DVD-9, the error appears at around 45% / 55%,
but no such problems with a DVD-5, could it have something to do with the Layer Break ?

I swapped out the Pioneer for A lite-ON 165H and have no problems at all with any Disk…

I emailed the Problem to Tom tech Support at slysoft* and they are looking into it,

But on the Otherhand Ollie, could it be a CloneDVD problem ?


#5

Originally posted by Lawman
[B]Hi,

I get the same error, using anyDVD and CloneDVD
You can drag the files of DVD to hard drive with no Problem, and burn using CloneDVD

But use CloneDVD to do the Work. with AnyDVD then

My Pioneer 120s will throw up, the error code above if its a DVD-9, the error appears at around 45% / 55%,
but no such problems with a DVD-5, could it have something to do with the Layer Break ?

I swapped out the Pioneer for A lite-ON 165H and have no problems at all with any Disk…

I emailed the Problem to Tom tech Support at slysoft* and they are looking into it,

But on the Otherhand Ollie, could it be a CloneDVD problem ? [/B]

No, I think this does indeed look like an “AnyDVD does not like the Pioneer 120S” problem. What makes me wonder is, why it works if you drag the files to your harddisk first. Let’s wait, what the Slyboys find out about this…


#6

Originally posted by Olli
[B]It looks like the DVD has a read error, and AnyDVD doesn’t propagate the error code correctly…
But to shed some light on this, do a little test:

Try to drag and drop the VIDEO_TS Folder to your harddisk.
Did this work? If yes, try CloneDVD on this folder. Did this work? [/B]

Thanks for all the response.

Ok, I did eventually manage to rip and burn the DVD, but using DVD Decryptor and Nero.

I will try to rip with AnyDvd and then burn with CloneDVD.

I’ve already tried to burn the files I ripped with DVD Decryptor with CloneDVD but then CloneDVD came up with the message that it could not open a IFO file, but now I found out that I need to get all the Ifo files (http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=71307).

Will keep you updated about this.


#7

Originally posted by Hrodbern

Ok, I did eventually manage to rip and burn the DVD, but using DVD Decryptor and Nero.

It would have been more enlightning, if you would have used DVD Decrypter and CloneDVD, or did you use CloneDVD to process the movie?


#8

Originally posted by Olli
It would have been more enlightning, if you would have used DVD Decrypter and CloneDVD, or did you use CloneDVD to process the movie?

No, this one fitted nicely (without the extras) on one disc.

Regarding your previous suggestions:
I’ve succefully copied the DVD contents using the windows file explorer with AnyDVD to my HD.
When trying to burn (using Writing Existing Data) CloneDVD came up with “1 error found in file structure” So I’ve not been able to burn with CloneDVD.

Also when using DVD Decryptor and adding all the other file (so basically getting the entire contents of the DVD again) CloneDVD came up with the same error when trying to burn form this directory.

So ripping the DVD with DVD Decryptor or AnyDVD (using the explorer) didn’t give any problems. And both ‘images’ of the DVD played well in PowerDVD using the DVD on HDD mode.

I’ve noted that 2 vob files have a zero length, but these are the VTS_xx_0 files that correspond (I think) to the VTS_xx_0 IFO file.

Now I will try again to copy with CloneDVD using the ‘Clone’ option, thanks for your input so far.


#9

Originally posted by Hrodbern
[B]Hello eveyone!

I’m using AnyDVD 2.0.0.4 and CloneDVD 1.2.8.4 to backup ‘The Transporter’ (UK edition)

When writing from DVD to HD I get the error ‘Illegal startcode of block (PS 10 VOBU 4 923859 224 TC)’.

I’ve had this error three times at the same moment (around 45% of writing to HD)

I’ve managed to succefully backup other DVD movies using this setup.

Any help/solutions welcome. [/B]

Update:
I tried to make a backup again (hmm, I’d better make a copy of this disc because all this experimenting to make a backup cannot be good for the disc…) using the ‘Clone DVD’ option and selecting everything on the DVD. I get exactly the same error only this time on about 35% of processing. Must be something special on this DVD I guess.

I’ve tried to look in the IFO files (with IfoEdit) to find anything special (also because when I try to burn the image ripped with DVD Decryptor CloneDVD gives this ‘Error in File Structure’) but that is way to hard to understand for me.


#10

Originally posted by Hrodbern
[B]Update:
I tried to make a backup again (hmm, I’d better make a copy of this disc because all this experimenting to make a backup cannot be good for the disc…) using the ‘Clone DVD’ option and selecting everything on the DVD. I get exactly the same error only this time on about 35% of processing. Must be something special on this DVD I guess.

I’ve tried to look in the IFO files (with IfoEdit) to find anything special (also because when I try to burn the image ripped with DVD Decryptor CloneDVD gives this ‘Error in File Structure’) but that is way to hard to understand for me. [/B]

Okay, if you select Clone DVD (within CloneDVD) on the files extracted with DVD Decrypter, does this work? If yes, the problem is with AnyDVD.

And when talking about AnyDVD errors- what OS are you using, what drive (maker & model) did you use for reading?


#11

Originally posted by Hrodbern
[B]Hello eveyone!

I’m using AnyDVD 2.0.0.4 and CloneDVD 1.2.8.4 to backup ‘The Transporter’ (UK edition)

When writing from DVD to HD I get the error ‘Illegal startcode of block (PS 10 VOBU 4 923859 224 TC)’.

I’ve had this error three times at the same moment (around 45% of writing to HD)

I’ve managed to succefully backup other DVD movies using this setup.

Any help/solutions welcome. [/B]

HI !

Here is solution!

1 Use DVD decrypter and make ISO file
2. Mount this ISO with Alcohol 120% (virtual drive)
3. Transcode/Write with CloneDVD (from virtual drive)

Im made copy with no problem !

CU

CHAiN


#12

Originally posted by CHAiN
[B]HI !

Here is solution!

1 Use DVD decrypter and make ISO file
2. Mount this ISO with Alcohol 120% (virtual drive)
3. Transcode/Write with CloneDVD (from virtual drive)

Im made copy with no problem !

CU

CHAiN [/B]

OK, Thanks, I will certainly try this (hadn’t thought of this!!)


#13

Hi Chain.

As a reg. user of both programs, CloneDVD & AnyDVD
I was also having the same error, no matter what DVD-9 I was trying to backup,

My solution was to either use my Pioneer A06 as a reader but much to slow or swap out my pioneer 120s for a LiteOn DVD Rom.

But that is only a work around, same as using decrypter, can only be a work around, Not a Solution.
AnyDVD has to be at fault for the Error

The real Solution, will be to get AnyDVD and Clone DVD to work in harmony using any type of DVD Rom drive as a reader…

And I have every confidence, that Ollie and his Assoicates in Slysoft, will do just that… but in the meantime, a good work around :slight_smile:


#14

Originally posted by Lawman
[B]Hi Chain.

As a reg. user of both programs, CloneDVD & AnyDVD
I was also having the same error, no matter what DVD-9 I was trying to backup,

My solution was to either use my Pioneer A06 as a reader but much to slow or swap out my pioneer 120s for a LiteOn DVD Rom.

But that is only a work around, same as using decrypter, can only be a work around, Not a Solution.
AnyDVD has to be at fault for the Error

The real Solution, will be to get AnyDVD and Clone DVD to work in harmony using any type of DVD Rom drive as a reader…

And I have every confidence, that Ollie and his Assoicates in Slysoft, will do just that… but in the meantime, a good work

round :slight_smile: [/B]

HI !

I have my way and I am happy koz Im successfuly made a copy. :slight_smile:
Maybe it is work around but WORKING and this is for me good harmoy :slight_smile: (for now koz Im a really new in this field)

CU

CHAiN


#15

Hi, I have a similar problem with a DVD that is really driving me mad…
First of all let me point out that I successfully copied about 20-30 DVD before having this problem, and I am still able to do it if I use a different DVD, so my system should be “not broken”…
The DVD is “Charlie Chaplin - Luci della citta’ / Un Re a New York” (it is of course an italian DVD, Elleu Multimedia - LUD 01118).
It is a DVD-9, NOT CSS-protected.
I am NOT (yet) an user of AnyDVD: I use DVDDecrypter for ripping to the HD and CloneDVD (and sometimes nero at the final stage) to shrink and burn the DVD as a 4.7 Gb DVD-R.
Some time ago I encountered the same problem with another Chaplin’s title, but I resolved it performing the read with the DVD-recorder instead of the DVD-ROM. My DVD-recorder is a Sony DRU-510a with firmware 1.0c. I was using as a reader a DVD-ROM Plextor PX-116A, firmware 1.00 (of course!).
When I encountered again the error with this last DVD, I switched back to the Sony DVD-writer, but the error happened again. I have bought a new DVD-ROM reader, a Toshiba M1712. Same error. On the Toshiba I tried the original firmware and also the RPC-1 firmware made by Hijacker…
By the way, the error I get is

Invalid Block Start Code
PS 10 VOBU 3 37 VOBU 4 327632 164 TCE

I tried the following:

  • ripping the DVD with DVDDecrypter (initially I thought that the DVD was CSS-protected) in File Mode (all files ripped of course) and then CloneDVD. Nope.
  • CloneDVD directly on the DVD. Nope.
  • ripping the DVD with DVDDecrypter in ISO mode, mounting the image with Daemon-Tools and with Alcohol 120%, then CloneDVD on the virtual drive. Nope.

About system software: Windows 2000 professional service pack 4.

I am going to try some tests under Windows 98 since I have a dual-boot PC… will it be worth the effort?

By the way, I obtain an error also using DVDShrink. So maybe the problem is really in the DVD (or in my hardware, software… ?) And also, in all cases the ripped image (either the individual files or the ISO image mounted on a virtual DVD-ROM drive) works perfectly with PowerDVD…

Thanks a lot fon any hint… anyway I learned a lot of useful things reading this thread!

Regards,

Luca

P.S Sorry for my bad english and for the long post!


#16

Hrodbern,

It certainly is a curious error, As I have said above, using a Pioneer 120s with anyDVD and CloneDVD I get the error, on a DVD-9
It seems to occur at a DVD layer Break,

Using the same set up and a DVD-5, no problems at all.

changing DVD rom reader to a LiteON again works with everything I have thrown at it.

On the Other hand, It could be that certain Drives do not like, certain software,

But again why should it work with anyDVD when I do a Drag and Drop… the mind boggles… I’m leaving it to the Experts, of Ollie and Slysoft… :slight_smile:


#17

Originally posted by Olli
[B]Okay, if you select Clone DVD (within CloneDVD) on the files extracted with DVD Decrypter, does this work? If yes, the problem is with AnyDVD.

And when talking about AnyDVD errors- what OS are you using, what drive (maker & model) did you use for reading? [/B]

Yes!!! This works!!
I’ve made a perfect copy with CloneDVD using the files I ripped with DVD Decryptor.

I’m using the following setup
Plextor DVD-ROM PX 116A Frimware 1.0 (21/apr/03)
Driver atapi.sys 5.1.2600.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920)
System Windows XP Professional (UK) Version 2002 SP 1

I’m still a little fuzzy about what caused the error because I also succesfully managed to rip the files with AnyDVD.

Anyway, thanks for all your input and suggestions!!


#18

Originally posted by Lawman
[B]Hrodbern,

It certainly is a curious error, As I have said above, using a Pioneer 120s with anyDVD and CloneDVD I get the error, on a DVD-9
It seems to occur at a DVD layer Break,

Using the same set up and a DVD-5, no problems at all.

changing DVD rom reader to a LiteON again works with everything I have thrown at it.

On the Other hand, It could be that certain Drives do not like, certain software,

But again why should it work with anyDVD when I do a Drag and Drop… the mind boggles… I’m leaving it to the Experts, of Ollie and Slysoft… :slight_smile: [/B]

hmm, I’m not sure about the layer break. The complete DVD I try to backup (and now succesfully have using CloneDVD) is about 5 GB so you would then expect an error to occur at about 90-95% instead of 45%.

Why ripping the files through Explorer with AnyDVD does work but copying/cloning with CloneDVD does not is indeed the (mind boggling) question.


#19

Originally posted by eltranquil
[B][…]
I tried the following:

  • ripping the DVD with DVDDecrypter (initially I thought that the DVD was CSS-protected) in File Mode (all files ripped of course) and then CloneDVD. Nope.
  • CloneDVD directly on the DVD. Nope.
  • ripping the DVD with DVDDecrypter in ISO mode, mounting the image with Daemon-Tools and with Alcohol 120%, then CloneDVD on the virtual drive. Nope.

[…]

Regards,

Luca

P.S Sorry for my bad english and for the long post! [/B]

Did you try DVD Decryptor and File Mode and then in CloneDVD either Copy or Clone and then selecting the directory where you ripped the files. Because this worked for me (see above)!


#20

Originally posted by Hrodbern
Did you try DVD Decryptor and File Mode and then in CloneDVD either Copy or Clone and then selecting the directory where you ripped the files. Because this worked for me (see above)!

Thanks for reply Hrodbern!
Yes… this was the first thing I tried.
As I wrote, I don’t have AnyDVD installed, and moreover at the beginning I didn’t realize that DVD is not CSS-protected (so also Drag and Drop works for ripping, or also running
CloneDVD in clone mode directly on the DVD).

I have also an update: I managed to copy the DVD with DVDShrink 3Beta5… I mounted the ISO image file with Daemon Tools on a virtual DVD drive, then ran DVDShrink on it… all went ok.

In the same conditions, CloneDVD fails.

Regards,

Marco