CloneDVD crashes computer completely

Mostly, CloneDVD works fine - but - at times, while writing a DVD to hard drive, everything shuts down. I don’t mean CloneDVD shuts down, the entire computer abruptly stops. It’s as if you pulled the plug on the computer. You have to completely restart the computer from power on. There is a message shown when this happens but, as the computer stops functioning immediately, it is only there for a scant second. I haven’t been quick enough to read what it says. Later, the same DVD will write fine. This has happened on several occassions and I have later been able to use CloneDVD normally each time. Never any trouble writing a completed file to DVDR. This is a dedicated HTPC, Intel 2.8, 256 memory, and there are no other programs running at the time, only CloneDVD. I have over 50GB of free space.

Thanks for any help

Tom

My guess would be:

1.) Bad CPU cooling
or
2.) Weak power supply

While transcoding CloneDVD causes a HUGE CPU load, which may cause to an emergency shutdown, if your CPU overheats or your power supply fails.

It is always wise to use the standard Microsoft IDE drivers:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=86829

I appreciate your reply. I will try with the cover off of the computer to see about the heat. This is likely the problem. The link you give sends me to a post that thanks you for the fix but there is no mention of the answer you gave. Are the Busmaster drivers part of the CloneDVD package?

I see you are the originator of this program. Let me take a moment to thank you for the CloneDVD program. I work on computers daily but I am not a computer guy and I really don’t want to be a computer guy. I simply want the stuff I get to work - to function as it is said to do. With all of the excuses involved surrounding this sort of stuff, it is really nice to get something that just works. Both the AnyDVD (I don’t know if you are associated with this but any association is a positive as far as I’m concerned)and the CloneDVD programs just work. Load and go! I truly appreciate these programs just because they do what they are supposed to do. Seems simple enough but it is quite uncommon.

Thanks again

Tom

If your’re running XP you may want to give a look at the event viewer log and see if there are any error messages there that may shed a clue on what the brief message is.

Check both the appications and system tabs.

Event viewer can be located at:
Control Panel\Administrative Tools\Event Viewer

I had the same problem with cloneDVD2 2.9.2.2. I could start DVD2 but when I clicked on Write existing data the PC reset and the code was some sort of hardware prob. I tested My RAM and changed power supply , same problem. It turned out to be the Intel Ultra ATA storgae driver I loaded last time I reloaded my PC from the disk I got with the mother board. Uninstalled the Ultra ATA storage drive and all ok now .

[QUOTE=petb;2478460]I had the same problem with cloneDVD2 2.9.2.2. I could start DVD2 but when I clicked on Write existing data the PC reset and the code was some sort of hardware prob. I tested My RAM and changed power supply , same problem. It turned out to be the Intel Ultra ATA storgae driver I loaded last time I reloaded my PC from the disk I got with the mother board. Uninstalled the Ultra ATA storage drive and all ok now .[/QUOTE]

It’s good that you responded with your problem and solution but since this posting is over 5 years now going 6 years old. It is always good to look at the last posted or responded date and ask is it wise to post to a really old posting rather then create a new posting. Since there been no response it most likely the OP fix or stopped using the program. In the future when you do search just a quick check of the posting date would ask is it benefical to post to a old posting rather then just make a new posting.