CloneDVD can't read files

Hello Friends,

Recently purchased Mr and Mrs Smith, tried to back up a play copy, but DVDFabDecrypter would not read it. With AnyDVD running in the Background, I then copied the audio and video folders to my hard drive, tried using CloneDVD to do a 1:2 split, but CloneDVD would not read the Video files.

Then used the old DVDDecrypter to create the MDS file, still CloneDVD would not read this MDS file either. At this point what is the best recommendation if I wanted to work with the MDS file, as it is still available on my hard drive, to creat a 1:2 back up copy?

Thans in advance.
Techson

Mr & Mrs Smith was a trouble DVD but latest software should handle it.

Please provide more info:

What versions of software are you using?
What region is the disc?
What do you mean, “would not read the video files”? Is there an error message?

goober22,

Thanks for the post.

1. Versions of software: DVDFabDecrypter - 2.9.8.3; CloneDVD - 2.9.0.1; AnyDVD - 6.0.5.1

2. Region - US

3. Error message from CloneDVD when I tried opening MDS file from its location on my hard drive using “Copy DVD Tiltles”:

"Unable to read video files from
C: (location of MDS file)
C: (location of MDS file)/VIDEO_TS IFO: unable to open file.

The system cannot find the file specified.

Please be sure that all required files are available and try again."

If there are other details you need me clarify, please let me know.

Lastly, when you said that latest software should handle Mr & Mrs Smith, which software were you refering to?

Thanks again,
Techson

There should be no problems with that disc and Clonedvd 2901 & Anydvd 6051 and the R1 US version.

Those are the software that should handle it as well as DVD Decrypter using Ripit4me. I can’t speak for DVDfab…

DVD Decypter alone probably can’t handle it. It should work with the any/clone combo. You can also load up anydvd and then load up DVDdecryter to rip. That’s what I do. In DVDD settings, just change the I/O mode to “Elbycdio” and under general settings, unselect “check for structure protection”. That should also rip okay.

Also you said this: "With AnyDVD running in the Background, I then copied the audio and video folders to my hard drive, tried using CloneDVD to do a 1:2 split, but CloneDVD would not read the Video files.

But you now say this: Error message from CloneDVD when I tried opening MDS file from its location on my hard drive using “Copy DVD Tiltles”:

So it sounds like you did not copy the folders but just made a MDS file. I’m just a little confused there.

You should have no problems with those versions of Anydvd & CloneDVD with the disc. Can you try it again with just Anydvd running? Either run CloneDVD on-the-fly (which I don’t like to do) or copy the files to the HD and then run CloneDVD against those files. It should work.

You could also load anydvd, then mount the MDS file in a virtual drive, then rip that to the HD. What I’m trying to say is that the MDS file may not be correct for some reason.

goober22,

Sorry for being confusing. I tried three different attempts. First, with DVDFab. When that didn’t work, (2) tried copying the audio and Video folders to HD. When CloneDVD would not open those video files under “Copy DVD Tiltles”, then (3) tried DVDDecrypter in combo with AnyDVD running to get the MDS file (I actually got two folders - one is MDS the other is the Image files folder). Hope this clears up any confusion. If not let me know.

Even with both the MDS and Image Files folders on HD, CloneDVD would not see the video files when tried “Copy DVD Tiltles” to do a 1:2 split.

What is “R1”?

With your concern that the MDS file may not be correct, I doulbe check it, and it could be played by media player software on my PC as well as in DVD Shrink. The question is then, does this tell me anything whether it is a good file or not?

"[I]You could also load anydvd, then mount the MDS file in a virtual drive, then rip that to the HD. What I’m trying to say is that the MDS file may not be correct for some reason.[/I]

As my hard drive space is limited, I would like to continue to work with the MDS file and Image files from DVDDecrypter before riding off it. Assuming that my current folders from DVDDecrypter are OK, once mounted the MDS file in virtual drive, what are the next steps with what software(s) to rip it such that I can use “Copy DVD Tiltles” in CloneDVD to do the 1:2 split?

Appreciate your help.
Techson

you need to use “Write Existing Data” button not the “Copy DVD Tiltles”

[QUOTE=]Even with both the MDS and Image Files folders on HD, CloneDVD would not see the video files when tried “Copy DVD Tiltles” to do a 1:2 split.[/QUOTE] again use the “Write Existing Data” button.

[QUOTE=]What is “R1”?.[/QUOTE]Region 1 = US

hobo10,

Thanks for the post.

I think I understand where you are coming from. The reason I chose “Copy DVD Titles” is because I don’t have a DL dvd; I only have the SL (4.5 GB) dvd and Mr & Mrs Smith is much larger than 4.5GB. I want to retain original video and audio quality even if it means I have to split the movie.

Now if using “Write Existing Data” would still allowing me to split a DVD9 into two DVD5 to retain original quality, please further advise me on how to do so.

Again, I appreciate the help.
Regards,
Techson

No, you must the “normal” copy functions for splitting. I suggest you read the CloneDVD2 manual where splitting is explained.

oh…now i understand. sorry, it won’t split on that option. can you put the original in then let anydvd popup and then start clonedvd2 and then hit “Clone DVD” button then use the scissors icon to split the movie. i’ve had no problems doing it this way.

Tru and hobo10,

Learning all the time as we continue to ask questions and share ideas and experiences. Appreciate your help.

Yep, “Clone DVD” did it. Additionally, as goober22 suggested above, with MDS and image files from DVDDecrypter on HD, mounting virtual drive and “Copy DVD Titles” will also do.

Thanks abunch to all. Keeping on sharing.
Techson.