CloneDVD and DVD Decrypter

vbimport

I used DVD Decrypter with everything set to the default when you first open it (first time ever used) and ripped ‘28 days later’ to Hard Drive, but then Clone DVD doesn’t recognise the files, it comes back with the error:

C:\28_DAYS\VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.IFO:2: unable to open file

the file name in the folder is VTS_01_0.IFO

any way round this by simply renaming the IFO?

Rip all files from dvd to hard drive. Sounds like you ripped movie only…

yeah I only want to rip the main movie, which is the default settings on Decrypter,

I did the exact same thing with DVD Shrink and it copies the same files but includes an additional 2 files (VIDEO_TS.BUP, VIDEO_TS.IFO) which are tiny, also I tried copying those two files across into the Decrypter destination folder but that doesn’t work I get another error,

but if I copy the other two files that aren’t VOB files (VTS_01_0.BUP, VTS_01_0.IFO) from the DVD Shrink output folder and overwrite the existing two in the decryptor folder it works!

I am now waiting for someone to tell my ‘well just use DVD Shrink then’ :slight_smile:

I am trying different versions of ripping software out to see if there is a difference in the end result, and while I appreciate that this is a DVD Decrypter problem I thought someone might have come across it and could tell me I had something set wrong in Decrypter,

I have no idea which files CloneDVD needs in order to begin processing.
It seems to me you now know.

The main movie files, + the bup of the main movie set + the video_ts.ifo/bup files.

So just select those additional 3 files manually when you rip, or rip all the files as suggested earlier.

Even if the resulting dvd doesnt contain all of the additional stuff, it doesnt harm to include it in the ripped version on your hdd. You’ll just have a couple more files to delete off your hdd once CloneDVD has done its stuff!

Originally posted by LIGHTNING UK!
[B]I have no idea which files CloneDVD needs in order to begin processing.
It seems to me you now know.

The main movie files, + the bup of the main movie set + the video_ts.ifo/bup files.

So just select those additional 3 files manually when you rip, or rip all the files as suggested earlier.

Even if the resulting dvd doesnt contain all of the additional stuff, it doesnt harm to include it in the ripped version on your hdd. You’ll just have a couple more files to delete off your hdd once CloneDVD has done its stuff! [/B]

Right! CloneDVD needs ALL IFO files from the original DVD, so if you only want to copy the main movie, you can rip the main movie with DVD decrypter, but you need to add the additional IFO files.
Easiest way is to rip the whole DVD with DVD Decrypter…

Thanks LIGHTNING UK!

I am just trying to find the best and fastest way to get the decrypted files (pretty much only the main movie) onto HD and then see how CloneDVD deals with it (while I wait for my Pioneer 106)

I don’t know which is the best option just decrypting it then using CloneDVD to burn / compress, rip with DVD Shrink without compression and Burn with CloneDVD or rip with DVD Shrink using compression and then burn with CloneDVD,

I am only going to bother with the main movie to get the best quality backup I can onto a single DVD because if I want the extras I have the original disc, I want to be able to let my girlfriend take copies with her when she works abroad (which is fairly often) and it was a good excuse for me to buy the writer :slight_smile:

do you know why there is a difference in how your Decrypter handles the rip and Shrink? even using no compression, or is it simply (as you suggest) that I am not selecting the correct files,

I don’t want to have to rip the entire DVD if the movie is only half (or slightly more than half) of the full disc, it will just mean extra wear and tear to my Tosh 1402 in the long run,

and while I am at it I may as well ask if anyone can give me a short bio of exactly what CloneDVD does, I am guessing that it checks the DVD blanc size and tries to fit the movie you select to that size? (Olli? as you managed to sneak a post in while was typing this marathon reply)

also how does compression differ from the re-encoding that you have to do to fit a film onto 2 CDs (which I tried out but hated the end result so stopped doing them)

he he no one can accuse me of spamming to get a high post count :slight_smile: cram as many questions as possible into one post I say.

do you know why there is a difference in how your Decrypter handles the rip and Shrink? even using no compression, or is it simply (as you suggest) that I am not selecting the correct files,

As suggests, you’re simply not selecting the correct files.
As Olli said in his post, CloneDVD needs all of the IFO files.

So take the main movie files (selected by default) and then manually click all of the IFO files.

I will add an option to do this automatically in the next version of DVD Decrypter.

@Olli, will just the IFO files will do? i.e. You dont ‘NEED’ the bup or vob files to be there if you’re not selecting them to be included in the final dvd.

Thanks again LIGHTNING UK!

@Olli,

I also was puzzled when I ripped a movie and then created an ISO with CloneDVD it didn’t compress the output, the finished ISO was the same size as the initial ripped files,

not a big deal as long as CloneDVD will take a given ISO and compress it before burning to my writer? but it sort of stops me testing CloneDVD using DaemonTools as a virtual DVD to check out the quality after compression.

Sounds to me as if you just asked it to make an ISO from a video_ts folder on your hdd and not actually process the files AND THEN make an ISO.

There is no ‘Process then create ISO’ in CloneDVD there is only create ISO,

although it does say ‘enter the path of the IFO/VOB files to Process’ it doesn’t actually process them it just builds the ISO,

!che-ching! light goes on in head, I have to use the Clone DVD option from the front menu, it isn’t made very clear even in the help file, it should say create from previously Crunched files, as the user has no way of guessing that,

I think this need further expanding for me to grasp,

when I right click on the three CloneDVD main menu options I get three explanations that don’t inform enough, can you explain further what each option actually does? because I cannot find a difference between the top two,

Copy DVD Titles - copies selected data from DVD or HD to either DVD files on HD, ISO/UDF or Burn straight to DVD.

Clone DVD - seems to do exactly the same

Write Existing Data - copies data from either a Folder (HD or DVD) to ISO/UDF or Straight to DVD (as long as it is already decrypted) and doesn’t crunch the files, or from ISO burns to Disc

Originally posted by MadBob
[B]There is no ‘Process then create ISO’ in CloneDVD there is only create ISO,

[/B]

Nonono, you must select another use case:

Copy DVD Titles - copies selected data from DVD or HD to either DVD files on HD, ISO/UDF or Burn straight to DVD

The last UseCase indeed covers create ISO or burn (preferable from VIDEO_TS files you already have processed)

so what does the CloneDVD option do?

also I just found some weird bug: I am processing Training Day full DVD and I decided to resize the CloneDVD window whilst it is running, I gripped the bottom right hand stripey arrow to stretch the window and the whole thing just dropped off the bottom of my screen :slight_smile: its gone! whoosh!

I can maximise from the taskbar by right clicking and it goes full screen, but if I try to resize or move it is hidden below the bottom of the window, when it has done encoding I will close it down and see if I can get it back, I probably will have to edit the registry to alter the window position / size, any help appreciated (Windows 2000)

right the window reset itself after closing down CloneDVD and restarting it.

@Olli, will just the IFO files will do? i.e. You dont ‘NEED’ the bup or vob files to be there if you’re not selecting them to be included in the final dvd. [/B]

I would like to know this also as there is no point ripping the whole dvd when only half contains the movie.
and i dont want extras…

Originally posted by dallshead
[B]

I would like to know this also as there is no point ripping the whole dvd when only half contains the movie.
and i dont want extras… [/B]

To copy the main title, CloneDVD needs all IFO files and the VOB files which contain the main title.

@Olli

can you tell me exactly what the CloneDVD button does that is different from the other two frontend buttons?

Originally posted by MadBob
can you tell me exactly what the CloneDVD button does that is different from the other two frontend buttons?
From the CloneDVD Manual:

[i]Here you decide which elements of the movie you wish to copy. You can copy one DVD title (for example only the main movie), several titles or the whole DVD. You can also copy the original menu or leave it out. There are three categories of backup for you to choose from:

[ul][li]“Copy DVD Titles”: Here you can copy one or more DVD titles, with or without the original menu. DVD titles you haven’t selected will be marked as gray in the menu
[/li]> [li]“Clone DVD”: Here you can copy all titles including the original menu
[/li]> [li]“Write Existing Data”: Different file formats can be selected, created and saved at the point of “output method” (DVD Files or ISO/UDF Image). You also have the option to proceed with existing DVD files from your hard disk or other source. This is suitable for advanced and experienced users[/ul]NOTE: In the following chapter, we’ll describe the first two backup categories. The third backup category requires a slightly different approach and user configuration – we’ll get around to explaining this later in the document.[/i][/li]

@MadBob:
I too have an issue with DVDDecrypter and CloneDVD. Even though I rip all files to the HDD (and the DVD fits on one disc without compression) I get “D:*****\VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.IFO:2: unable to open file” error when I try to burn or make an ISO of it with CloneDVD. There seems to be some kind of bug there. I have reported it to Elby and see if they can find anything. Wonder why the path has a “/” instead of a “” before the IFO filename!?

P.S. I can however transcode the files.

// swede_242

Sorry…not sure ive got you 100% here…

Are you actually using CloneDVDs recompressing/authoring capabilities or just clicking on the ‘create iso’ bit and pointing it to the folder that you made DVD Decrypter rip to?

If you selected ALL files, ripped in File mode AND it all adds up to < 4.37GB, you probably have a single layer dvd and can just use ISO mode within DVD Decrypter to read and burn your new disc.
If you ripped in IFO mode, or File mode and only selected the ‘main movie’ files, I would expect it to not work!

“or just clicking on the ‘create iso’ bit and pointing it to the folder that you made DVD Decrypter rip to?”

Yes I am pointing it to the folder that I let DVDDecryptor rip to in file mode with all files selected and yes it’s less than one DVD in size so I could use DVD-decrypter, like you said, but that is not the point.

I wanted to use CloneDVD but it cannot access the files. Therefore I believe there to be a bug. I don’t see why CloneDVD shouldn’t be able to burn those files?

// swede_242

you need to rip ‘all files’ with Decrypter this is a setting in Tools > Settings > File Mode, then CloneDVD will work.