CloneDVD 2 ---> BUG?

i don’t know if this is considered a bug under the new cloneDVD 2. i tried backing-up my Tarzan DVD but when i played in my standalone somewhere in the middle part of the movie, it freezes and skip. i have to eject the dvd first before it can play properly again but then after a few minutes it freezes again and skips.

i though it was just a bad media so i tried backing up again for the second time. the reseult is the same in my previous back-up --> it freezes and skips somewhere in the middle.

i went back to my previous version of clonedDVD v1.3.11.2 and trie it again for the 3rd time and this time it worked flawlessly. what seems to be the problem?

what seems to be the problem where some of my dvd freezes almost towards the end of the movie? it usually happens after an hour of movie. when it happens i turn off the dvd player, wait for 5 mins then play again and its fine.

sometimes i get no error at all which means it does not freeze for the entire movie. it appears to be totally random.

i back-up my movie using anydvd/clonedvd (burn at max speed), lite-on 811s firmware hsop and my jvc xv-s502sl dvd player. i use maxell dvd-r 4x.

do you think it is heat related? does it have to do with the burn speed? should i burn my dvd at 1x or 2x instead of “maximum speed”? or it is my player that causes problem? it says on dvdrhelp that it is compatible with -r and +r. would it be helpful to put a label on my dvd?

Originally posted by eap_44

should i burn my dvd at 1x or 2x instead of “maximum speed”?

or it is my player that causes problem?
Test 2-2,4x instead. Try using DVDRW to avoid having coasters.

How old is your player ? [COLOR=blue]DVD playability

Check this out > [/COLOR]JVC xv-s502sl

Or you can buy a Sony standallone dvd player.
I’m occupied as a multimedia tester, DVD-testing to be more specific, so I handle old/new/cheap/high-end/… standallone players each day.

We perform compatibility test fore pressed dvd sample and dvd-r samples. To my experience I can only say: Sony is the best.
Philips = crap.
JVC = crap.
Panasonic RV-32 = crap.
thomson = crap.
bush = crap.
low end (cheap) = crap.
Samsung = crap.

Sony never ever gave any problem with dvd-r not even discs which did not play propperly on other players.

greetz

Guess Sony has come a long way since their first DVD players couldn’t even do a CDR.

Region hacking a Sony is still a problem as far as I have read?

Yup true.
Believe me or better try a sony yourself.
Those players have the best error correction chips inside.
Fore example:
A movie I rescently did gave severe blocking and stutters on the Panasonic RV-32 (high end panasonic) 100% repeatable. I put the same disc in old and new sony’s (DVP 525 -> old, DVP 433 -> new) and flawless playback.

Samsung players have problems with ratio aspect but that is off topic.

greetz

Also consider Apex units. They are cheap and play everything you throw at them except for a few batches where VCD was diabled. Even then you can sometimes fix these players. They basically use a PC-style DVD-ROM (loader) that runs on an IDE interface. Some models can disable region coding and macrovision.

Originally posted by BoSkin
[B]Test 2-2,4x instead. Try using DVDRW to avoid having coasters.

How old is your player ? [COLOR=blue]DVD playability

Check this out > [/COLOR]JVC xv-s502sl [/B]

what do you mean test 2-2? is there a difference in writing 4x to “maximum speed”?

hmroidx, which sony model would you recommend? as much as possible i don’t want to change my dvd player as it cost too much.

livngday, which apex model would you recommend? where can i get them? do i have to modify the unit? how?

what do you mean test 2-2?
I meant the speed 2 - 2,4 x

The Apex 1000, Apex 1500, and AD-3201 can disable macrovision and/or region coding by a hidden menu access by the remote control or a firmware flash using a CD-R inserted into the drive. Other models are disabled similiarly.

Apex has many different models. I suggest checking out http://www.nerd-out.com/forum/ to find one that fits your needs as to video and audio output functions. You can find them at the major electronics retailers or online. Walmart usually sells them for ~$20 a couple times a year as a loss leader. I paid $30 for the AD-3201 at CompUSA and it has optical audio output and component video (along with composite and S-video) outputs.

Originally posted by BoSkin
[B]I meant the speed 2 - 2,4 x

[/B]

i will try your suggestion first. hopefully this will resolve my problem.

worse case scenario is to buy another dvd player just like livingday and hmroid_x earlier suggested.

thanks.

hey - i had a similar problem on compusa generic brand media. the media said it was certified at 2.4X. however, when i burned at 2.4X it would freeze in spots near the end of the movie almost always.also when i reread one of these freezing movies back in conedvd to check it- i would get a TCE sector error.

i slowed it down to 1x and it seems ok- no problems. so, ya go one speed less than it says it is certified for.
please post back the results -id really like to know if this works for you also.

any Sony model will do.

eap_-44
Check this thread also:

http://www.agoraquest.com/viewtopic.php?topic=12524&forum=50

Stelios

Originally posted by macrovisionsux
[B]hey - i had a similar problem on compusa generic brand media. the media said it was certified at 2.4X. however, when i burned at 2.4X it would freeze in spots near the end of the movie almost always.also when i reread one of these freezing movies back in conedvd to check it- i would get a TCE sector error.

i slowed it down to 1x and it seems ok- no problems. so, ya go one speed less than it says it is certified for.
please post back the results -id really like to know if this works for you also. [/B]

i’ve got a memorex dvd-r certified 4x. i backed-up a movie last night using anyDVD/cloneDVD using 2-2.4x write speed (one speed lower than it says). i will watch it tonight and post the result tomorrow. i hope everything will be fine as it will be to costly to replace a new dvd player.

watch out for my post tomorrow.:eek:

Originally posted by LivingDay
[B]The Apex 1000, Apex 1500, and AD-3201 can disable macrovision and/or region coding by a hidden menu access by the remote control or a firmware flash using a CD-R inserted into the drive. Other models are disabled similiarly.

Apex has many different models. I suggest checking out http://www.nerd-out.com/forum/ to find one that fits your needs as to video and audio output functions. You can find them at the major electronics retailers or online. Walmart usually sells them for ~$20 a couple times a year as a loss leader. I paid $30 for the AD-3201 at CompUSA and it has optical audio output and component video (along with composite and S-video) outputs. [/B]

i saw an APEX brand at futureshop and the model is AD-1225 but it is not listed on the website you gave me. it’s cheap but do you think it can read my burned dvd’s?

i saw an APEX brand at futureshop and the model is AD-1225 but it is not listed on the website you gave me. it’s cheap but do you think it can read my burned dvd’s?

I haven’t heard a complaint yet about media compatibility with the Apex units. Both of my AD-1500 and AD-3201 play the cheapest of the cheap media in all formats (CD-R, DVD-R, DVD+R, ect.) without a hitch. There were some units produced last year that had VCD disabled because Apex didn’t want to pay the licensing fee. Later it was re-enabled quietly without using the VCD logo on the retail boxes. That would be the only concern I would research on using google. I just checked www.dvdrhelp.com and it looks like it plays all but DVD-RAM.

http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdplayers.php?DVDname=AD-1225&Submit=Search&Search=Search&orderby=Name

Originally posted by macrovisionsux
[B]hey - i had a similar problem on compusa generic brand media. the media said it was certified at 2.4X. however, when i burned at 2.4X it would freeze in spots near the end of the movie almost always.also when i reread one of these freezing movies back in conedvd to check it- i would get a TCE sector error.

please post back the results -id really like to know if this works for you also. [/B]

i just watched the movie i burned last night using anyDVD/cloneDVD having a write speed of 2-2.4x and it WORKED fine! i guess all i have to do from now on is to write them one speed slower than what it says it is certified for. it saves me a lot of money from buying a new dvd player.

thanks for all your help.

hello guys,

i encountered problem last night with my backed-up dvd. i’ve been burning them using 2-2.4x writing speed after experiencing freezing (artifacts) if burned at “maximum speed”. but last night those artifacts showed up again.

i backed it up again but this time using 1x speed at clonedvd and it works fine. why is this happening? does it mean its about time to change my dvd player?

if my player needs to be change, what would you recommend?