CloneCD write speed issue

vbimport

I have a question in regards to CloneCD (5.3.1.0), When I pick 2x-2.4x write speed( or even 1x)(DVD+R DL) , it burns at 4x speed ( I know that clone cd analizes the media and the burner) , Can I force CloneCD to burn at this speed (2.4x) ??. If the answer is yes, How can I do that.
thanks

[QUOTE=mappetti;2043049]I have a question in regards to CloneCD (5.3.1.0), When I pick 2x-2.4x write speed( or even 1x)([B]DVD+R DL[/B]) , it burns at 4x speed ( I know that clone cd analizes the media and the burner) , Can I force CloneCD to burn at this speed (2.4x) ??. If the answer is yes, How can I do that.
thanks[/QUOTE]

What kinda media are you using? When it did burn at 4x what was the final burn average that it said?? And how did the 4x burned media play on the standalone player?? What are type of dvd are you burning? Also there is a setting when you going to burn that you can choose the burn speed as well down to 1x and 2-2.4x was the options that it gives you beside going max burn…???

I’m using Memorex DVD+R DL 8x, the burn average is always 4x no matter what I pick (8x,2x,1x.) I’m doing a back up of my movie collection, they play fine in my standard DVD player, is in my computer dvd reader where they freeze sometimes. I read the other day “is better if you burn at a slow speed”, that is why I would like to reduce the burn speed . The options before burning are 1,2,4,6,8,12,16, and Max (that is weird because the media only support 8x Max burn speed). I’ve tried DVDInfo in one DVD+R DL (the one that freeze sometimes), and no read CRC errors. By the way my dvd reader is a HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDRH10N. Thank for prompt answer to my thread

Your burners firmware most probably does not support these speeds with this media so it will default to the speed that is has in it, it has nothing to do with CloneCD, have you ever burned these at less than 4x with any program?

You ‘re right, I found this in the FAQ of CloneCD: “Back in the early 90’s the Redbook standard recommended to burn music CDs at 1x speed. However, back then the writers were only capable of burning 1x/2x and had no burn proof functions at all. The firmware of modern drives doesn’t allow such slow speeds anymore. 4x is the least you can expect from your drives. Our software cannot override these firmware settings”.
I’ve tried with Memorex DVD+R DL 2.4x maximun write speed and the write speed was 2.4, How can it be if the minimum speed allow for the firmware is 4x???

[quote=mappetti;2043859]You ‘re right, I found this in the FAQ of CloneCD: “Back in the early 90’s the Redbook standard recommended to burn music CDs at 1x speed. However, back then the writers were only capable of burning 1x/2x and had no burn proof functions at all. The firmware of modern drives doesn’t allow such slow speeds anymore. 4x is the least you can expect from your drives. Our software cannot override these firmware settings”.
I’ve tried with Memorex DVD+R DL 2.4x maximun write speed and the write speed was 2.4, How can it be if the minimum speed allow for the firmware is 4x???[/quote]
You will have to complain to the maker of your drive, and ask them to update the firmware, not that it will probably do any good, but you could try. LOL. This is a common problem, do not feel alone.:cool:

Thanks coolcolors and alan1476 for your aswers, I appreciate them.
Regards.

[QUOTE=alan1476;2043864]You will have to complain to the maker of your drive, and ask them to update the firmware, not that it will probably do any good, but you could try. LOL. This is a common problem, do not feel alone.:cool:[/QUOTE]

I am not sure I buy this. I have the same issue and find that I can vary the write speed of my current DVD writer with other software. More importantly I find it DOES make a difference in the readability of the resultant CD or DVD.

If I slow down the burn, the result is playable in devices that will not play it when I’ve burned at max or detected speeds. CloneCD does not let me set the maximum burn speed even though there is a drop down for this setting. It seems to ignore it!

Just my belated two cents. I was hoping to find an answer as for me this is a problem…

[QUOTE=stuffyjude;2140604]I am not sure I buy this. I have the same issue and find that I can vary the write speed of my current DVD writer with other software. More importantly I find it DOES make a difference in the readability of the resultant CD or DVD.

If I slow down the burn, the result is playable in devices that will not play it when I’ve burned at max or detected speeds. CloneCD does not let me set the maximum burn speed even though there is a drop down for this setting. It seems to ignore it!

Just my belated two cents. I was hoping to find an answer as for me this is a problem…[/QUOTE]

Read over post #4 by alan…

[QUOTE=stuffyjude;2140604]I am not sure I buy this. I have the same issue and find that I can vary the write speed of my current DVD writer with other software. More importantly I find it DOES make a difference in the readability of the resultant CD or DVD.

Just my belated two cents. I was hoping to find an answer as for me this is a problem…[/QUOTE]

I’ve been using CloneCD for a few months now with my LG GSA-E40L DVD burner and have had no problems with the burn speed. I’ve never noticed it burning at a speed higher than what I set it for.

If I set it to 2-2.4x for DVD+R DL, that is the speed it burns at and they all play perfectly in my panasonic DVD player.

I’ve had similar success with SL: If the max rated speed is 8x, I set CloneCD to 4x, if it is 16x then I set CloneCD to 8x.

One time I burned a DVD+RW rated at 4x using CloneCD with the same burn speed of 4x and it took a over a minute to be read by my panasonic. Halving the burn speed to 2-2.4x solved that problem and my panasonic read it within a few seconds.

So my rule of thumb is to burn at half the max rated speed for SL and use 2-2.4x for DL.

[QUOTE=captainvideo;2140675]I’ve been using CloneCD for a few months now with my LG GSA-E40L DVD burner and have had no problems with the burn speed. I’ve never noticed it burning at a speed higher than what I set it for.

If I set it to 2-2.4x for DVD+R DL, that is the speed it burns at and they all play perfectly in my panasonic DVD player.

I’ve had similar success with SL: If the max rated speed is 8x, I set CloneCD to 4x, if it is 16x then I set CloneCD to 8x.

One time I burned a DVD+RW rated at 4x using CloneCD with the same burn speed of 4x and it took a over a minute to be read by my panasonic. Halving the burn speed to 2-2.4x solved that problem and my panasonic read it within a few seconds.

So my rule of thumb is to burn at half the max rated speed for SL and use 2-2.4x for DL.[/QUOTE]

– Curious. I am not seeing the same. I agree with and practice your 1/2 speed rule of thumb but it seems I can’t do it in this case. I select 2-2.4 for my DL disks and I have never had a problem so I never tried slowing it down. My problem is with SL disks. Regardless off what speed I select, it burns at 5x. The disks I am using are rated for 16x so I would expect this to be okay, but it is not.

In this case I seem to have 2 problems, 1st, CloneCD is choosing the rate regardless of what I select, and 2nd, since 5x should be fine for these disks, I suspect I got a bad batch of DVD +RWs. If not for these bad disks I probably would not have noticed CloneCD was not following my selection. My last batch of DVDs were 8x and I had very few bad burns.