CloneCD Version 4 Settings Versus Profiles Confusion

vbimport

Olli mentioned in the 'CloneCD Experienced Users Forum' of this board that for CloneCD Version 4, settings are split into four categories, as follows:

1.) Reader Settings - settings that solely depend on the hardware capabilities of your reader

2.) Writer Settings - settings that solely depend on the hardware capabilities of your writer

3.) Read Profile - settings that depend on the type of media you wish to copy

4.) Write Profile - settings that depend on the type of media you wish to copy

From reading numerous posts on this board and reading the help functions of CloneCD itself, I can see that by disabling any Reader Setting or Writer Setting that function will cease to work regardless of what the Profile calls for.

My question is, is the reverse also true of false. In other words, if certain functions in Reader Settings and Writer Settings are enabled (say by default), will they be used regardless if you have set up certain Profiles to disable some of those functions?

Two classic examples of this are:

1. In Reading Settings does 'Allow reading of Subchannel Data from Data Tracks', 'Allow reading of Subchannel Data from Audio Tracks' and 'Allow reading of CD-Text from Audio CDs' all checked interfere with the 'SafeDisc (1/2/2.51) - no AWS' reading Profile (created by G@M3FR3@K & FutureProof) not using any of these functions?

2. In Writer Settings does 'Allow Amplify Weak Sectors' checked allow the 'SecuRom' writing Profile (created by G@M3FR3@K & FutureProof) to work correctly via not using this function?

Apologies in advance if this question has been asked before, however this is important information for me as I am using more than 1 reader and 1 writer in the same system for CloneCD.

Thanks in advance for any help and answers you can all provide.

Regards,

Clonester :slight_smile:

From reading numerous posts on this board and reading the help functions of CloneCD itself, I can see that by disabling any Reader Setting or Writer Setting that function will cease to work regardless of what the Profile calls for.
True. If, for example, you have a computer with several writers and one writer for instance fully supports correct EFM (Lite-On). By setting the option to disallow AWS for this writer in the writer settings you can use the same Profile for each writer regardless if they support EFM or not. The setting in the Profile is ignored when AWS is not allowed (and the same goes for the SubChannel Data reading).

My question is, is the reverse also true of false. In other words, if certain functions in Reader Settings and Writer Settings are enabled (say by default), will they be used regardless if you have set up certain Profiles to disable some of those functions?
Nope. If the Profile has, for instance, AWS enabled and you have disabled it for your writer, it will be ignored.

1. In Reading Settings does ‘Allow reading of Subchannel Data from Data Tracks’, ‘Allow reading of Subchannel Data from Audio Tracks’ and ‘Allow reading of CD-Text from Audio CDs’ all checked interfere with the ‘SafeDisc (1/2/2.51) - no AWS’ reading Profile (created by G@M3FR3@K & FutureProof) not using any of these functions?
Nope they won’t.

2. In Writer Settings does ‘Allow Amplify Weak Sectors’ checked allow the ‘SecuRom’ writing Profile (created by G@M3FR3@K & FutureProof) to work correctly via not using this function?
AWS has nothing to do with SecuRom.

The idea with the Profiles we have set-up is that you can use a custom Profile for each protection. If you for instance know your drive can do EFM perfectly (Lite-On and some other models) and you know your game has the SafeDisc 2 protection you can just use the no AWS profile. Then you don’t need to edit the settings for your writer since this is, in my opinion, more for advanced users and normally you should not fiddle with these settings if you don’t know what you’re doing.

Hope you understand!

I appreciate the reply G@M3FR3@K, however I would like you to clarify one point you made above.

In reference to:

Nope. If the Profile has, for instance, AWS enabled and you have disabled it for your writer, it will be ignored.
I meant the reverse, that is, if the Writer Settings has, for instance, AWS enabled and you have disabled it for your Profile, will it be ignored?

The reason why I mentioned this was because of the fact that earlier versions of CloneCD Version 4 were rumoured (only rumoured) to use AWS, if checked in Writer Settings (by default), regardless, even if the Profile called for disabled use of AWS (such as what you have set and provided together with FutureProof in the ‘SecuRom’ writing Profile for example).

In other words, if one person has a Plextor PX-120132S and LiteOn LTR-24102B for instance, and the Writer Settings for the Plextor have enabled AWS (by default) and the Writer Settings for the LiteOn have disabled AWS (manually configured), and that person uses the CDFREAKS provided ‘SecuRom’ writing Profile (just as an example), will the Plextor use the AWS feature regardless, since it’s enabled in Writer Settings?

Furthermore, I do also understand that the SecuRom writing Profile does not call for AWS anyway, however my concern was mainly for the Reading Settings (and Writing Settings) taking precedence over the Profile Settings, since FutureProof also mentioned (under the topic ‘Advanced - CloneCD 4 Reading’ in the ‘CloneCD Experienced Users Forum’ of this board):

Data for SecuROM, both for ProtectCD and all three for Karoke; NOT REQUIRED for SafeDisc
and you have mentioned, as above, in answer to my original post:
Nope they won’t.
Between your answer above, FutureProof’s quote (just mentioned) and Olli’s post to this quote, I was a little unclear.

Therefore, I assuming that no matter what both Reader and Writing Settings are enabled (by default or manually configured), a Profile either way wont use an enabled function if it’s not enabled within.

Thanks again in advance.

Regards,

Clonester :slight_smile:

Originally posted by Clonester

Therefore, I assuming that no matter what both Reader and Writing Settings are enabled (by default or manually configured), a Profile either way wont use an enabled function if it’s not enabled within.

Correct.:slight_smile:

In reference to:I meant the reverse, that is, if the Writer Settings has, for instance, AWS enabled and you have disabled it for your Profile, will it be ignored?
Yes it will.

The reason why I mentioned this was because of the fact that earlier versions of CloneCD Version 4 were rumoured (only rumoured) to use AWS, if checked in Writer Settings (by default), regardless, even if the Profile called for disabled use of AWS (such as what you have set and provided together with FutureProof in the ‘SecuRom’ writing Profile for example).
Yes rumoured but this has been fixed in the latest CloneCD versions. This is not the case anymore and there were indeed some reports of Lite-On writers using AWS eventhough it was disabled for the writer itself (or was it in the Profile?). Anyway it has been fixed :wink:

In other words, if one person has a Plextor PX-120132S and LiteOn LTR-24102B for instance, and the Writer Settings for the Plextor have enabled AWS (by default) and the Writer Settings for the LiteOn have disabled AWS (manually configured), and that person uses the CDFREAKS provided ‘SecuRom’ writing Profile (just as an example), will the Plextor use the AWS feature regardless, since it’s enabled in Writer Settings?
AWS won’t be used since there is nothing to ‘amplify’. You should see the writer settings more as a setting to allow the drive to perform certain tasks. Not a setting to use them. The settings are controlled by the Profile which checks when writing if the selected settings are allowed for the writer. If not, they won’t be used.

Clear? :wink:

Yes, thanks G@M3FR3@K for all your time in answering me, it’s very clear indeed and also thanks philamber for your additional re-clarification post, as well.

Regards,

Clonester :smiley: