CloneCD .sub format confusion

Just a question… Does the subcode data already exist in a .img file? I know that the .sub file contains the subcode data, although I don’t know how this file is created… but the .img format is exaclty the same as the .bin format and over at GoldenHawk on the product features list, it says that cdrwin is capable of copying the subcode data… So what is the .sub file for exactly?

Nope. The .img file only contains the 2352 bytes of main sector data.

There exists 96 bytes of sub-code data for each sector, but they are in interleaved format when it is read, and CloneCD processes them by deinterleaving and then are written to .sub file.

It’s to write the sub-codes as close to the original as on original CD, here are some reasons:

• to copy some protections that make use of sub-codes
  • to copy audio CDs that have special or even no gaps

You see it depends. You may noticed that e.g. the gaps on a copy of your audio CD has all been changed to the standard of 2 second gaps. Without using the .sub file the hardware/software fabricates subcodes.

so when you say interleaved format, you don’t mean that they are actually contained in the sectors of the CDs (where all of the “important” bytes are stored)? They are on some other part of the disc which the CD-ROM doesn’t normally read? So does that mean that GoldenHawk falsely advertises their product by saying that the program can copy subcode data?

A logical sector isn’t just 2352 bytes. Sub-code data are separate from main data.

You can think of them being at the end of the main sector data. A full sector is really 2448 bytes. For each sector there is main data of 2352 bytes + sub-code data of 96 bytes, which gives a total of 2448. Most of the time you only need the 2352 bytes.

Yes and no. I don’t know how their program works, but guess their program reads the sub-code, but uses it to generate a .cue file - which actually does represent [U]parts[/U] of the subcode data.

Thank you for your response. I think I get it now. I’m thinking of reading the CD-R faq to learn more about CDs and it’s related technology.