CloneCD - Read Speed Settings for best results?

vbimport

I just bought a LG GH24NSB0 DVD writer to back up my CD & DVD games. I’ve read several guides for CloneCD ripping but they recommend different settings for data and audio read speed, ranging from 1X to MAX.

What speed should be chosen to get the most accurate results? I’ve read that low read speed helps get the most accurate results possible. Is it true? Is the CD image a perfect clone if I encountered no read failures using max read speed?

Thank you in advance.

[QUOTE=nightson;2737892]I just bought a LG GH24NSB0 DVD writer to back up my CD & DVD games. I’ve read several guides for CloneCD ripping but they recommend different settings for data and audio read speed, ranging from 1X to MAX.

What speed should be chosen to get the most accurate results? I’ve read that low read speed helps get the most accurate results possible. Is it true? Is the CD image a perfect clone if I encountered no read failures using max read speed?

Thank you in advance.[/QUOTE]
You might have some issue backing up games with CloneCD but its a great tool for DVDs as long as they are not copyrighted, then you need AnyDVD also. 8X is what I use for my DVDs.

[QUOTE=nightson;2737892]I just bought a LG GH24NSB0 DVD writer to back up my CD & DVD games. I’ve read several guides for CloneCD ripping but they recommend different settings for data and audio read speed, ranging from 1X to MAX.

Thank you in advance.[/QUOTE]

Hi :slight_smile:
Firstly the question of speed.
I’d say it is trial & error.
So much depends on your setup & choice of media.
Top notch PC with the best media could produce ideal results.
Even at max setting.
My advice is to go for a setting just lower than max.
i.e x16 media set for x12. etc
It has been known for the setting to be too slow, for best results.

Ideally you need a writer capable of raw read & write.
Not sure if they produce these any more.
Even then on latest games it might not be enough.
Hence the rise of Game Jackal Pro.
With HDD & HDD docking.
You have limitless possibilities.

What speed should be chosen to get the most accurate results? I’ve read that low read speed helps get the most accurate results possible. Is it true?

Not really. Lower reading speeds sometimes, though rarely, assist with copying cds using a subcode based copy protection (e.g. securom, securom 2 & psx libcrypt, all of which are thoroughly out of date). It doesn’t assist at all with copy protections based on unreadable sectors (e.g. safedisc [versions 1-4], laserlock, ProRing [aka RingProtech], all of which are also out of date.

Is the CD image a perfect clone if I encountered no read failures using max read speed?

If the original cd was copy protected with an unreadable sector based protection [see above for examples], definitely not as you are supposed to get read errors when making the image.

If the cd was protected with a sub-code based protection, maybe yes and maybe no. It depends upon whether or not the sub-codes were read correctly.

If the cd was unprotected, almost certainly yes.

Generally, you might wish to have a look at the various guides in this sub-forum.

The link doesn´t work :\

It´s maybe a bit off-topic, but can someone tell me if actual DVD-writers like LG GH24NSC0, Liteon ihas 324 FU or Samsung SH-224DB can write Safedisc V2 correct? Or should I reactivate my old CD-writers like Liteon SOHR 5238S, Teac CD-W 552E?

I haven’t had a Lite-on dvd writer for some time but the last one that I had could write safedisc 2 correctly. I’d be surprised if yours can’t.

Don’t know about the other drives you mentioned. I have no idea about the Samsung but I suspect that the LG will do so.

Thank you

The first CD-writers which were able to writer Safedisc 2.5 correctly were the Liteon with name ending “2B”, which uses MTK-chipsets instead of Sanyo from the “1B”-series

So I hope that MTK are still good in that case, reviews of actual writers do not exist.

Samsung and LG also use MTK-chipsets in their last models, Pioneer I don´t know.